Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012

boating2go is on a distinguished road
Safety netting for kids

We are thinking of putting up safety nets for when our 4 year old granddaughter is aboard. Anyone have any experience with safety nets? Are they effective? We didn't have to for the older ones but this one is completely different and into everything, so we are worried about her.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Safety netting for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by boating2go View Post
We are thinking of putting up safety nets for when our 4 year old granddaughter is aboard. Anyone have any experience with safety nets? Are they effective? We didn't have to for the older ones but this one is completely different and into everything, so we are worried about her.
We used netting on our boat from the time my daughter was an infant until she was about 7-8 years old. The netting extended from the pushpit to the bow-pulpit on either side of the yacht and was secured to the upper life-lines with a continuous line wrapped over the top life-line and through the netting between stanchions. The bottom of the netting was secured by 1/4" Dia bungee cords that were stretched between the stanchions, passing in-and out of each square of the mesh on the bottom edges and attached to each stanchion base with clove hitches. With the bungee cords, one could raise the netting enough to pass lines underneath without difficulty but the munchkin couldn't get under the net. This arrangement kept child and toys and various gear aboard the yacht without any difficulties and gave us some peace of mind when she was on deck (even though she was also tethered to the yacht whenever she was on deck).

FWIW...
boating2go, elspru and TheWollard like this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-19-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

I like wire ties for top because they are easy to cut away if needed and easy to refresh. Very strong and cheap. Just an option.
Old 08-19-2012

boating2go is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
I like wire ties for top because they are easy to cut away if needed and easy to refresh. Very strong and cheap. Just an option.
I like the wire ties idea, that was what I was thinking. The bungee cord for the bottom is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 08-19-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Not recommended, kids, dogs et al can go right over the top. Use instead a recommended tether/jackline. The bungee idea sounds good, but remember, does it take more or less than 20lbs to stretch, and what's your g-daughter's weight.

Last edited by sea_hunter; 08-19-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Here's a opinon; I just did a 40 footer and if you're going to do it do it right.

That mean weaving the top lifeline threw the netting and using a taught line at the bottom, if that means adding hardware, add hardware.

The use of zipties should only be used when laying it out, not as a final fastener

This 40 footer had a solid SS top rail and I used a guilt stitch and 300 ft of 1/8" black tuna line to secure the netting at the top and 200 SS fasteners and 100 ft of 1/8" white tuna line as a taught line.

So you can make it look fantastic and enhance the look if you choose

Like I said, that was only a opinon
Cruisingdad likes this.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-20-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I installed safety netting with line ties as an additional precaution for my 2 year old son, who always wears a harness. It seems to have worked fine. Although it may not ultimately prevent a hard fall overboard, it would certainly slow down a fall and provide an additional hand hold.

I have also been very pleased with its effectiveness in keeping my hank-on jibs on the foredeck when dousing them singlehanded. Now, I would install one on any future boat simply for the ease of sail handing.
IslanderGuy likes this.
Old 08-20-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

Where can you buy the net?
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 08-20-2012
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Where can you buy the net?
See (click on) Defender Safety Netting

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-20-2012
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
I elected not to use wire ties because of our locale (southwest Florida) where even black ties deteriorate and weaken quickly in the sun. They may be an option further north, however. Further, note that our daughter was always tethered when she went on deck--except when she wasn't. One can never tell when a child might manage to get on deck untethered, regardless of how watchful her/his parents are. It happens. The netting is a safety precaution, but not a substitute for vigilance. In re: bungie cord for the bottom of the netting, we found that it worked best if stretched such that it was fully extended when the mid-point between stanchions could be raised about 6" off the deck/toe-rail. That was enough to pass a line but not a kid/dog.

FWIW...
Cruisingdad likes this.