SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Snacks for the kids (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/91230-snacks-kids.html)

CDsBetterHalf 08-22-2012 07:59 AM

Snacks for the kids

Hello! We have tried several different snacks for the kids over the years - curious to know what other boats are doing. Our kids love granola bars and 'home-made trail mix' (and we throw in some 'fun' stuff like 'gushers' and 'fruit roll ups') - but I am looking for some new ideas. Anybody have any suggestions?
(If I over looked someone else already posting about this, please let me know!)

hellosailor 08-22-2012 12:04 PM

Re: Snacks for the kids

Do Crayolas count? They're low-fat, low-sugar, an all around favorite snack for kids of all ages.

CDsBetterHalf 08-22-2012 12:15 PM

HA - very funny. Unfortunately, our kids have actually outgrown crayolas as a snack food.

:)

SeaQuinn 08-22-2012 12:24 PM

My daughter likes the no bake chocolate cookies you make from oatmeal, cocoa or chocolate chips, peanut butter and stevia or sugar. You can add nuts or coconut.

CDsBetterHalf 08-22-2012 03:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestion - I will look for them and try them out!

SeaQuinn 08-22-2012 03:37 PM

There is also beef jerky. Great for long trips!
We also like dried fruit and frozen grapes!

CDsBetterHalf 08-22-2012 04:11 PM

My kids do love beef jerky - but I had forgotten about the frozen grapes! (Those are delicious!)

caberg 08-24-2012 04:13 PM

My wife cuts up a bunch of fruit--mostly melon types, maybe some apple thrown in there--and also brings berries, whatever happens to be in season. Our little guy loves that stuff. She'll prepare it ahead of time and put it all in a big tupperware. Works for a weekend outing, but probably not ideal for longer trips.

Also, frozen yogurt sticks (which tend to melt and then are just yogurt, but still just as yummy for our guy).

Minnewaska 08-25-2012 07:41 AM

My kids always loved veggies and a low fat sour cream dip of some sort. Red bell peppers were the fav. Of course, goldfish and cheese-its are like boat crack. That is exactly what we call them. As soon as your fist goes in the box, you're gong to over eat them. And like it.

Really digging reduced fat wheat thins these days. Actually like them better than regular wheat thins.

CDsBetterHalf 08-25-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caberg (Post 913780)
My wife cuts up a bunch of fruit--mostly melon types, maybe some apple thrown in there--and also brings berries, whatever happens to be in season. Our little guy loves that stuff. She'll prepare it ahead of time and put it all in a big tupperware. Works for a weekend outing, but probably not ideal for longer trips.

Also, frozen yogurt sticks (which tend to melt and then are just yogurt, but still just as yummy for our guy).

Oh yeah - fresh fruit is a luxury as live-aboards. And frozen 'go-gurt' - I had forgotten about that (thanks for the reminder!).