Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Kid overboad plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
In Canada, it is illegal to tow a water skier without a spotter in the boat. The reason is common sense, you can't be watching behind you while also steering the boat competently.
Same here. And we always do use a spotter, but practically speaking as the driver I'm not usually relying on the spotter to find my downed skier.

Hmmmm.... I'm going to have to give some thought to our plan.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road
Kid overboad plan

Quick comment on the swimming. Put your kids on a swim team. Theyll practice everyday abd gain lots of confidence. Lessons only meet a couple times a week.

Fwiw
Old 08-27-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

My son is a dwarf so he isn't too heavy. We always wear PFD's when we're underway so I figure that I'll circle around and scoop him up with a boat hook just like the dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
We're on Lake Champlain and although we can get 4+ foot waves, we certainly would not be out in the wind that it would take to create those conditions. Even with 15-20 kts of breeze, often we're only seeing waves 1-2 feet because we'll hug protected shorelines.
Also on Lake Champlain, and I have found often the wave size doesn't always correlate to the wind. I have had 4' waves with <15 knot winds - especially if you are out in the middle and there is that 100 mile fetch north to south!

I'd add an additional step for people. We have three kids also involves "kids in the cabin!!" while the adults run the drill.

I am anticipating soon that our 9 year old can start being the spotter though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 08-28-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road

I completely agree about not having the wife go in after the kid. And if I can convince her in the moment of this, she might listen. However, she informed me that she does not care and will go in after the kid. Even after having this same conversation I am unable to sway her opinion.

I like the seat cusion test. That will be a great way to illustrate just how hard it will be for me alone to find them and handle the boat. I hope it works or I will be looking for two people when it happens.

To those who say keep the kid (person) on the boat no matter what, that is all well and good. But, you cannot rely solely on them not falling over. Small kids are curious and clever and will find ways to foil your best plans. Implement the saftey plans (teather, netting, etc.) as well as practice the KOB.
Old 08-28-2012

GoldiH is on a distinguished road

We always wear our inflatable pfd's, just in case someone (me aka mom) needs to go after a kid and also to set a good example. But our kids are small (1 & 3) and there is honestly no way I'm not going in after them. We try to bring guests with us when possible, so they get the job of keeping an eye on the kid and mom overboard while my husband brings the boat around.
Old 08-28-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiH View Post
We always wear our inflatable pfd's, just in case someone (me aka mom) needs to go after a kid and also to set a good example. But our kids are small (1 & 3) and there is honestly no way I'm not going in after them. We try to bring guests with us when possible, so they get the job of keeping an eye on the kid and mom overboard while my husband brings the boat around.
Inflatable pfd's are great for hanging out in the water while someone picks you up.
If your plan it to swim with one I would test that plan.
With some inflatable's swimming is impossible.
Old 08-29-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But our kids are small (1 & 3) and there is honestly no way I'm not going in after them.
That's how we feel with our 3 year old. By 5-6 years old, I think it would be different.
Old 08-29-2012

MITBeta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Inflatable pfd's are great for hanging out in the water while someone picks you up.
If your plan it to swim with one I would test that plan.
With some inflatable's swimming is impossible.
The great thing about inflatables is that you can deflate, or partially deflate them, swim, and then re-inflate.
Old 08-31-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We always wear our inflatable pfd's, ...But our kids are small (1 & 3) and there is honestly no way I'm not going in after them.
That sounds very heroic and self sacraficing (and may prove to be) but will serve no useful purpose but give your husband two people to rescue rather than one. Firstly, diving in with an inflatable PFD will ensure you are unable to swim at all until you shed the vest during which time you will most certainly loose sight of the child and become disoriented as to his or her location. Then, absent a vest, little more than your neck and head will extend above the surface of the water (so long as you keep treading) giving you no vantage and, sorrounded with nothing but sky and water, you will have no points of reference. In any sea, you will have a hard, if not impossible time, locating the child and a tough time getting to him/her if you do. There are many more arguments against your proposed response but I shall not go there. The fact is, however, that there have been too many instances when one person leaving a boat to rescue another has resulted in both being lost and, in one case I know of, two brothers and a father were lost.

The solution to this issue is to keep the kids aboard. Tethers, netting, firm discipline and vigilence. Thousands of kids have sailed with their parents without inadvertantly ending up in the sea and there is no reason why it should happen with you/your kids.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."