Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
Kid overboad plan

What's everyone's kid overboard plan?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Re: Kid overboad plan

Harden the sheets, crew on the rail, check the polars and aim for target speeds. HIKE! HARD!

oh. I suppose this is a serious question. Ours is the same as our man overboard drill. Nothing changes.
Old 08-27-2012
Tacky yet Unrefined

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
What's everyone's kid overboard plan?
Who's kid we talking about...??
Old 08-27-2012

I sail with my wife and three year old son. So, the plan would be for the 3 year old, or any guest kids on board.

Currently, our plan is, we both keep our PFD's within reach, wife would put hers on, I'd round into the wind, and she'd get into the water and swim to the boy. Assuming he didn't get hurt going over, then he'd be fine in the water, just pretty freaked out by it I'm sure.

One thing I'm pondering is, once wife is in the water with the boy, there's no real sense of urgency, so whether to take the time to drop the sails and start the motor for a smoother pick up.
Old 08-27-2012
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

We realized there was a difference between planning and execution of the plan. Our plan was carefully thought out about who would drive the boat, who would go in the water, etc. Then my wife brought a dose of reality to the mix - she's going into the water after the kid, even if the plan says I should jump in. So version 2 of the plan:

- She goes into the water with a pfd and a horseshoe ring.

- I drive the boat and execute (preferred method) a quickstop to keep the boat as close to her and the kid as possible.

- Depending on the situation, I maneuver the boat to them/they swim to the boat. Lots of variation here.

We actually practiced this with each of the kids so they would get over the fear aspect. A couple times each year, we ran thru MOB drills starting with a life jacket and progressing through each of us going over the side. It made MOB drills fun which made it more likely that we would do them more often - always a good thing!
elspru likes this.
Old 08-27-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road

My wife told me no matter what I said she was going in the water with the kid. When we talked through it she said if she stayed on board she would be useless from being so panicked so she might as well go in to. No amount of logic has been able to sway her so we practice with just me spotting and running the boat.
Old 08-27-2012
But if not...

Hmm - my wife said exactly the same thing. Must be a mother's instinct. That's why we went to version 2 of the plan.
Old 08-27-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Kid overboad plan

I'm a grandpa. I watched a lady try to convince her 4 yr old to wear a PFD. I thought why not take advantage of the fact that kids want to do what YOU do, and wear yours? In my car it's a game. Seatbelt? Check! Door? Check! Traffic? Check! OK we are ready to go!

The kid overboard plans assume you'll be able to get to and put on your PFD. Suppose another boat crashes into you and knocks everyone overboard? I personally know of three instances of that in NJ alone.
Get yourself a comfortable PFD and the kids too.
jrd22, davidpm and elspru like this.
Old 08-27-2012
But if not...

good point, Gary. I omitted a key part of the plan. Both kids had to wear a PFD at all times whenever outside of the cabin. We're now instilling the same rules in the grandkids: get out of the car, put on the PFD, walk down to the dock, walk on the nails (center of the dock), board the boat with an adult hand, etc. Only time a PFD can come off is down below in the cabin.
Old 08-27-2012

We keep our PFD's in the cockpit area within reaching distance when we're underway. Yes, there's always a chance that one of us (or all of us) go over without a PFD, but that's always a risk. If it was blowing good, and/or if we had cold water (it's in the 70s right now), I'd have no qualms about wearing my PFD.

I actually like the plan of my wife going in the water, but I insist that she first puts on a PFD. (Sort of like the oxygen mask on the airplane.) When we talked about it, she didn't want to take the time to put on a PFD, but I convinced her that the 30 seconds it takes to get the PFD on is worth it.

I wasn't sure if that was just a crazy idea to have another person go in (seems counter intuitive), but the thought of my 3 year old being alone in the water while I try to get back to him, puts a knot in my stomach. As long as my wife gets to him, I can take as much time as I need to get back around to them (which is why I'd consider starting the motor and dropping the sails).

What I do need to learn is how far back he would be by the time wife is suited up and in the water, assuming I had immediately rounded into the wind. I guess an easy way to test this is just throwing over a PFD some day and practice getting back to it.

We will also practice a "kid overboard" drill on a light wind day and make it fun. We swim off the boat at anchor all the time, so the water itself and getting up the swim ladder is very familiar for all of us. Just need to add the variables of being caught off guard and a moving boat.

ETA: Oh yea, kid has the PFD on at all times. That's a given. He's allowed to take it off below, but unless he's down there sleeping, he usually still has it on.