SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/91470-cruising-broken-bay-september-school-holidays.html)

wopalx 08-28-2012 11:51 PM

Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Any Aussie Sailnet members going cruising over the School holidays in September?

I'm planning on taking the 3 kids up to Broken Bay from about the 23rd of Sept till the 29th of Sept. Will most likely wind up in America's Bay/ Refuge Bay most nights as they love the beach & waterfall.

Would be good to say hi to other sailnet members.

St Anna 08-29-2012 04:31 AM

Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Hiya W.
sure are going for a sail, but a bit north of you.
cheers

tdw 08-29-2012 05:47 PM

Nothing much better than Refuge/America for youngsters but holiday time it is a nightmare for a couple of old farts like us. Out of season a different story. Nonetheless, enjoy.

wopalx 08-30-2012 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 915812)
Nothing much better than Refuge/America for youngsters but holiday time it is a nightmare for a couple of old farts like us. Out of season a different story. Nonetheless, enjoy.

Yes it does get a tad crowded but hey if the kids are keen to go cruising for a week I'm more than happy to oblige :)

tdw 08-30-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wopalx (Post 915989)
Yes it does get a tad crowded but hey if the kids are keen to go cruising for a week I'm more than happy to oblige :)

... and so you should be .... happy that is. I hope the weather is good for you.

Now I don't know how well you know the area so excuse me if I am stating the bleeding obvious but there are a couple of really good spots in Smiths Creek and Jerusalem Bay. First bay to starboard as you enter Smiths has three or four maritime moorings and a sand flat that dries at low tide. At high tide you can take the dinghy up stream to a couple of small waterfalls. Worth spending an evening there. If you see a wee Triton 24 "Skoota" say g'day and tell them Andrew and Wendy send their best. The tip of JB is also good for the kids.

What's your boat btw ?

wopalx 08-30-2012 06:26 PM

Yes there are heaps of great spots, I grew up sailing in Pittwater as we kept our first 2 boats in Careel Bay from when I was 13 or so. As long as I can tie up on a mooring I'm happy (hate anchoring overnight unless 100% necessary).

We have an X-Yachts XP-38, Solveig II, luckily my old man insists on spending the inheritance on quality yachts ..... not that I have any reason to complain:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 916195)
... and so you should be .... happy that is. I hope the weather is good for you.

Now I don't know how well you know the area so excuse me if I am stating the bleeding obvious but there are a couple of really good spots in Smiths Creek and Jerusalem Bay. First bay to starboard as you enter Smiths has three or four maritime moorings and a sand flat that dries at low tide. At high tide you can take the dinghy up stream to a couple of small waterfalls. Worth spending an evening there. If you see a wee Triton 24 "Skoota" say g'day and tell them Andrew and Wendy send their best. The tip of JB is also good for the kids.

What's your boat btw ?

tdw 08-30-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wopalx (Post 916204)
Yes there are heaps of great spots, I grew up sailing in Pittwater as we kept our first 2 boats in Careel Bay from when I was 13 or so. As long as I can tie up on a mooring I'm happy (hate anchoring overnight unless 100% necessary).

We have an X-Yachts XP-38, Solveig II, luckily my old man insists on spending the inheritance on quality yachts ..... not that I have any reason to complain:)

Sydney Boat Show, either and XP38 or an XC42, cannot remember which but an XC42 is one of the few new boats I would happily buy if I wanted a bit more zip that we get from our Malo. Being me I'd still probably end up going for a newer Malo or an Hallber Rassey but gee that X was impressive.

wopalx 08-30-2012 08:28 PM

The XP-38 at the Sydney show was ours.

The XC-42 is a nice boat, not as sorted for racing but for cruising a great yacht.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 916226)
Sydney Boat Show, either and XP38 or an XC42, cannot remember which but an XC42 is one of the few new boats I would happily buy if I wanted a bit more zip that we get from our Malo. Being me I'd still probably end up going for a newer Malo or an Hallber Rassey but gee that X was impressive.

tdw 08-30-2012 08:52 PM

Ha ... I thought that name sounded familiar. Solveig is something of a legendary name but I thought I'd seen it recently.

Lovely boat. The Wombet will verify that as we left the show I said that while there were a couple of other nice boats the X was the only one I really liked. Couple of half way decent catamarans and Bluewater do nice work but overall, a somewhat disappointing show this year.

Mate of ours has an older X but I've never been on board. Him and his wife crewed on our boat for the Heaven Can Wait 24hr race on Lake MacMacquarie last year. For me, being the doddery old cruiser that I am the XC would be more my speed.

wopalx 08-31-2012 06:12 AM

I'd love to do the HCW race, unfortunately we optioned the deep keel on our boat so given we bounced over the bar in our X-37 several years ago I don't think Lake MacQ is on our agenda.

We have always named our boats over a maiden of the sea from the region the boat was built. Solveig was certainly legend in her time, raping and pillaging while hubby was off pretty much doing the same thing:) . The new boat we decided should simply be called Solvieg II as our last X was so much fun and we named it Solveig.

The XC's are great, the 42 would have been a great purchase & the owner I'm sure is very happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 916239)
Ha ... I thought that name sounded familiar. Solveig is something of a legendary name but I thought I'd seen it recently.

Lovely boat. The Wombet will verify that as we left the show I said that while there were a couple of other nice boats the X was the only one I really liked. Couple of half way decent catamarans and Bluewater do nice work but overall, a somewhat disappointing show this year.

Mate of ours has an older X but I've never been on board. Him and his wife crewed on our boat for the Heaven Can Wait 24hr race on Lake MacMacquarie last year. For me, being the doddery old cruiser that I am the XC would be more my speed.