Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-28-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
wopalx is on a distinguished road
Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Any Aussie Sailnet members going cruising over the School holidays in September?

I'm planning on taking the 3 kids up to Broken Bay from about the 23rd of Sept till the 29th of Sept. Will most likely wind up in America's Bay/ Refuge Bay most nights as they love the beach & waterfall.

Would be good to say hi to other sailnet members.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 08-29-2012
St Anna's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Southern QLD, Bayside
Posts: 1,428
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 12
St Anna is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Hiya W.
sure are going for a sail, but a bit north of you.
cheers
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 08-29-2012
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,548
Thanks: 5
Thanked 71 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Nothing much better than Refuge/America for youngsters but holiday time it is a nightmare for a couple of old farts like us. Out of season a different story. Nonetheless, enjoy.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 08-30-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
wopalx is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Nothing much better than Refuge/America for youngsters but holiday time it is a nightmare for a couple of old farts like us. Out of season a different story. Nonetheless, enjoy.
Yes it does get a tad crowded but hey if the kids are keen to go cruising for a week I'm more than happy to oblige
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 08-30-2012
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,548
Thanks: 5
Thanked 71 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopalx View Post
Yes it does get a tad crowded but hey if the kids are keen to go cruising for a week I'm more than happy to oblige
... and so you should be .... happy that is. I hope the weather is good for you.

Now I don't know how well you know the area so excuse me if I am stating the bleeding obvious but there are a couple of really good spots in Smiths Creek and Jerusalem Bay. First bay to starboard as you enter Smiths has three or four maritime moorings and a sand flat that dries at low tide. At high tide you can take the dinghy up stream to a couple of small waterfalls. Worth spending an evening there. If you see a wee Triton 24 "Skoota" say g'day and tell them Andrew and Wendy send their best. The tip of JB is also good for the kids.

What's your boat btw ?
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 08-30-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
wopalx is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Yes there are heaps of great spots, I grew up sailing in Pittwater as we kept our first 2 boats in Careel Bay from when I was 13 or so. As long as I can tie up on a mooring I'm happy (hate anchoring overnight unless 100% necessary).

We have an X-Yachts XP-38, Solveig II, luckily my old man insists on spending the inheritance on quality yachts ..... not that I have any reason to complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
... and so you should be .... happy that is. I hope the weather is good for you.

Now I don't know how well you know the area so excuse me if I am stating the bleeding obvious but there are a couple of really good spots in Smiths Creek and Jerusalem Bay. First bay to starboard as you enter Smiths has three or four maritime moorings and a sand flat that dries at low tide. At high tide you can take the dinghy up stream to a couple of small waterfalls. Worth spending an evening there. If you see a wee Triton 24 "Skoota" say g'day and tell them Andrew and Wendy send their best. The tip of JB is also good for the kids.

What's your boat btw ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,548
Thanks: 5
Thanked 71 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopalx View Post
Yes there are heaps of great spots, I grew up sailing in Pittwater as we kept our first 2 boats in Careel Bay from when I was 13 or so. As long as I can tie up on a mooring I'm happy (hate anchoring overnight unless 100% necessary).

We have an X-Yachts XP-38, Solveig II, luckily my old man insists on spending the inheritance on quality yachts ..... not that I have any reason to complain
Sydney Boat Show, either and XP38 or an XC42, cannot remember which but an XC42 is one of the few new boats I would happily buy if I wanted a bit more zip that we get from our Malo. Being me I'd still probably end up going for a newer Malo or an Hallber Rassey but gee that X was impressive.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
wopalx is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

The XP-38 at the Sydney show was ours.

The XC-42 is a nice boat, not as sorted for racing but for cruising a great yacht.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Sydney Boat Show, either and XP38 or an XC42, cannot remember which but an XC42 is one of the few new boats I would happily buy if I wanted a bit more zip that we get from our Malo. Being me I'd still probably end up going for a newer Malo or an Hallber Rassey but gee that X was impressive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 08-30-2012
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,548
Thanks: 5
Thanked 71 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

Ha ... I thought that name sounded familiar. Solveig is something of a legendary name but I thought I'd seen it recently.

Lovely boat. The Wombet will verify that as we left the show I said that while there were a couple of other nice boats the X was the only one I really liked. Couple of half way decent catamarans and Bluewater do nice work but overall, a somewhat disappointing show this year.

Mate of ours has an older X but I've never been on board. Him and his wife crewed on our boat for the Heaven Can Wait 24hr race on Lake MacMacquarie last year. For me, being the doddery old cruiser that I am the XC would be more my speed.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 08-31-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
wopalx is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Broken Bay / September School Holidays

I'd love to do the HCW race, unfortunately we optioned the deep keel on our boat so given we bounced over the bar in our X-37 several years ago I don't think Lake MacQ is on our agenda.

We have always named our boats over a maiden of the sea from the region the boat was built. Solveig was certainly legend in her time, raping and pillaging while hubby was off pretty much doing the same thing . The new boat we decided should simply be called Solvieg II as our last X was so much fun and we named it Solveig.

The XC's are great, the 42 would have been a great purchase & the owner I'm sure is very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Ha ... I thought that name sounded familiar. Solveig is something of a legendary name but I thought I'd seen it recently.

Lovely boat. The Wombet will verify that as we left the show I said that while there were a couple of other nice boats the X was the only one I really liked. Couple of half way decent catamarans and Bluewater do nice work but overall, a somewhat disappointing show this year.

Mate of ours has an older X but I've never been on board. Him and his wife crewed on our boat for the Heaven Can Wait 24hr race on Lake MacMacquarie last year. For me, being the doddery old cruiser that I am the XC would be more my speed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Manhattan Sailing School: Offshore Sailing School Opens New Branch At Hudson Rive NewsReader News Feeds 0 05-07-2012 11:10 AM
Bay Area Sailing School, Tradewinds Sailing School and Club Expands Fleet for America NewsReader News Feeds 0 11-09-2011 07:50 AM
Bay Area Sailing School, Tradewinds Sailing School and Club Expands Fleet for America NewsReader News Feeds 0 11-08-2011 07:40 AM
Learn to sail these school holidays NewsReader News Feeds 0 09-13-2011 01:50 PM
Cruising with Kids: S/V Dream Catcher: Sailing School for Lisa @ Sail Blogs NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-18-2006 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.