Join Date: Oct 2012
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Re: We did it! We took our 3 week old sailing today!
Thanks to all of you for your time in writing about these valuable tips. We are bringing our petite puce aboard at 4 months end of Nov and thus trying to prepare for a comfy week long cruise in the Caribbean. The consensus seems to be the infant car seat is indispensable so we'll bring ours (assuming we'll stow the stroller at the Marina), ours looks similar to MedSail's seat.
1. I'm not clear though on what to use to tie it down and to tie it to what while under sail, down below and in the cockpit. We'll bareboat charter either a 45 or 41 Beneteau (we've been doing it for 6 years now but this will the first with our new addition to the crew). Under sail we plan to have her in the car seat or one of our 2 carriers (Ergo and the Belgian sling).
2. I see online really light unfold easy, but expensive, fancy pack n play type pens like the babybjorn or Phil & Ted's, but wondering if that is only necessary when they start moving by themselves and sitting up? Maybe for sailing after 5 months? But this is just for while at anchor right? Not under sail? It is my understanding while under sail they need to be secured in the arms or car seat or booster type seat, all with some kind of harness on. We have the infant life jacket already.
3. As for sleeping at night we hope our babe continues her regular 8 hour sleeps on the trip! In any event I'm still not clear on the best system for night sleeping at anchor. There are regular cabins, 2 aft and one forward, no small V berth. Any suggestions for this config?
I was thinking of bringing this portable bassinet (photo attached) which has robust metal sides and breathable mesh netting + mattress. Does it make sense to place it on the floor in our cabin at night? Do we need to strap it down? If yes, any suggestions what to use? We'll have friends in one of the other 2 cabins.
4. Do toddlers + where a PFD even when under anchor in the cockpit?
5. I feel so uncomfortable with the idea of baby in a hammock swinging about while under sail. Has anyone actually ever done this or is it just a concept?
6. There was mention of a carrycot (Copprhead) on another post. I am inundated with sleeper/cot/travel bassinet options and can't decide what the best would be for a 4 month. Would you leave the baby in the cot in the cabin while under sail? Does one parent go down when tacking to ensure safety on the change in heel?
7.For her next sail once she is holding herself upright/6 months I was thinking instead of the booster seat, which I imagine is a hand full to travel with, we could use our "Lobster" which latches onto any table type surface and has a 5 point safety harness. We could latch it to the centre console in the cockpit and the table in the saloon instead of the booster seat. It is tight gripping and super light/portable. Eko, did you use the booster under sail? Was it because she wont sit in the car seat anymore?
Your comments would be very much appreciated so we could be best prepared for our first sail with the babe.