Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: My son's first 'car'...

*laugh* Good stuff, CD.

Not much room to get the first (second?) girlfriend in that "car"... guess he'll need to borrow the old man's ride soon

For what it's worth, you only need a license here if going over 10 knots... but my eldest will be applying for that license next year. I too expect to be corrected on things after that happens.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Put a pair of 250s on the back of that thing and let him have some fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-14-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

"You gave him that?
What's wrong, don't you love him?"

That quote came from my always stoic and taciturn Mercedes mechanic when I told him I had given my 300SD to my son.
T37Chef and dacap06 like this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-19-2012

Yofy is on a distinguished road

Wow. That brings back memories.
I remember my first boat with an outboard. FREEDOM! It was on a lake in northern Ontario, Canada and I learned so much about good boating skills and outboard engines. He's going to have a great time!

Robyn

Old 09-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
"You gave him that?
What's wrong, don't you love him?"

That quote came from my always stoic and taciturn Mercedes mechanic when I told him I had given my 300SD to my son.
Well, this certainly isn't a mercedes. Not sure it would even count as a Toyota. I am thinking more... Ford Pinto. We got three leaks fixed so far. Just sprang another two. Hehe. Oh well. Did get the engine to run. Only took about 100 pulls!!!

But like I said, he doesn't care. He likes just getting out by himself or with his brother.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentSailor View Post
*laugh* Good stuff, CD.

Not much room to get the first (second?) girlfriend in that "car"... guess he'll need to borrow the old man's ride soon

For what it's worth, you only need a license here if going over 10 knots... but my eldest will be applying for that license next year. I too expect to be corrected on things after that happens.
Although this engine and dink is capable of 10 kts, that would require it to all work correctly!! Sometimes paddling is faster than the engine is capable of I think.

Brian

PS He ain't takin' out my dink anymore. Its now off limits.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-19-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Although this engine and dink is capable of 10 kts, that would require it to all work correctly!! Sometimes paddling is faster than the engine is capable of I think.

Brian

PS He ain't takin' out my dink anymore. Its now off limits.
..... figured there had to be an ulterior motive ....
jrd22 likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-20-2012

snaxbox is on a distinguished road

Really nice memories! Congratulations to your son
Old 09-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
..... figured there had to be an ulterior motive ....
Always!!!

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-08-2012

elspru is on a distinguished road

I just hope you're aware that small open powerboats are the most dangerous form of boating, statistically speaking. In Canada 37% of boat-drownings happen in small open powerboats. with only 4% being in sailboats, which are even marginally safer than paddle boats. http://www.redcross.ca/cmslib/genera...wn_english.pdf
In the US it's much more bleak with 7/10 boating deaths in US are in power boats under 21 feet. http://www.commanderbob.com/cbstats.html and about a third of those open-motorboaters die of causes other than drowning (I don't even want to think about what those might be) http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...Statistics.pdf

Though ultimately it's up to you and your kids. I see they aren't wearing life jackets on the boat, so perhaps safety isn't a priority. Though personally I'd rather see both you and them to have safe, long and happy lives. :-)

In terms of our kids, when they come of age i.e. 16 or as soon as they are ready afterwards, planning on getting them liveaboard sailboats, likely without engines -- they usually only cost about twice as much as a dinghy used. Then they'll be ahead of the pack in terms of having the resources to start their own lives and live independently.

Last edited by elspru; 12-08-2012 at 01:07 AM.