Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: My son's first 'car'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Hi Elspru,

On a completely different subject, I personally would not put my kids on a sailboat without a motor. A motor is a serious safety item. Reality is that up in the PNW (yes, we lived there for over a year and sailed the sound), the winds are incredibly light, the currents are very swift, and the water is deadly cold. I can think of a thousand reasons to have a motor, but can't come up with a single reason not to have one.
Take care,

Brian
I dont want nessessarily take this into a serious discussion but I strongly disagree. I dont like that blanket statement. I understand you feelings in the PN and the water temp, but sending kids out in a dinghy without wet suits would be just as serious. Having their motor conk out in a curent filled channel could be s serious situation

A motor is not a necessarily a safety item. I can encourage a false sense of security also. Many times I have seen kids with motors stray far away from there home areas in inflatables or small skiffs...why...because they can,,,the motor will take them there. They will tend to travel out further because they have the motor and we all know motors stop working. Most kids especially of today dont have a clue how to fix a motor.

Also consider that gasoline is dangerous and explosive. Propellers can cut limps and fingers off.

I know that a sail only is not necessarily safe in all situations either, but I do not beleive a motor inherently makes things safer. Especially with younger kids. Liken a little to a bike. Which is safer, and foot driven bike or a motorcycle.

I know you are a thoughfull attentive boater and would never put your kids in harms way and it may not apply to them. I am sure you have gone over a myriad of safety situations with them from fire, handling gasoline, and what to do when they motor dies or doesnt start. I am sure they have pfds, and a portable VHF. Do the have PRB if they travel a long way? I would assume they have with them everything you would have if you were taking a long dinghy ride.

BTW I did put my daughter on a sailboat ( Hobie 16) without a motor. I lived on the beach in a shore community and she went as far as 3 miles out into the ocean whenh she sailed. She had a ditch bag of sorts with a communication device. She needed to go out if I wasnt there with other boats around her also vs doing it alone.

Here in the Chesapeake and we see in NE when we go north you see many sailing schools teaching kids and kids sailing without motors

I agree with Smacky about helicoptering and I certainly think you can overprotect them so as to smother them and you want them to learn their independence so I am not talking about that.,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-05-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Chef, it is a dangerous world out there. Kids get killed in swimming pools (nice warm ones with lifeguards) at beaches on bicycles and chasing balls into the street. Not to mention, playing football, even if the concussion doesn't catch up with them.

And if you've ever heard how dangerous SCHOOLS are. School crossing guards. School zones. Seat belts and matrons on busses, where zippers and drawstrings get caught in the doors. Hell, if you want to save young lives, first you have to BAN SCHOOLS, they create all sorts of situations that get kids killed. Or addicted to drugs. Mandatory home schooling, that's the only way to keep them safe, in rubber rooms.

At least that dink will help to keep the kids away from schools, school zones, and school busses, and that's way more important than worrying about where the dink might go.
Old 02-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Chef, it is a dangerous world out there. Kids get killed in swimming pools (nice warm ones with lifeguards) at beaches on bicycles and chasing balls into the street. Not to mention, playing football, even if the concussion doesn't catch up with them.

And if you've ever heard how dangerous SCHOOLS are. School crossing guards. School zones. Seat belts and matrons on busses, where zippers and drawstrings get caught in the doors. Hell, if you want to save young lives, first you have to BAN SCHOOLS, they create all sorts of situations that get kids killed. Or addicted to drugs. Mandatory home schooling, that's the only way to keep them safe, in rubber rooms.

At least that dink will help to keep the kids away from schools, school zones, and school busses, and that's way more important than worrying about where the dink might go.
Hello,

I think you are missing what I was saying. I am all for kids having outside activiites including dinghies with engines, cars, everything you mentioned. I was not overly protective to my daughter and she is quite an outdoors person having done an few Outward Bound adventures including climbing the Andes . I was the least overprotective dad there is . I totally agree that these healthy activies are important to keeping them from swerving potentially into the wrong lane.

I also have huge respect for CD and his time he spends with his kids who he obviously loves and is a great role model to. I wasnt saying that and if it came across that way it was unintended. he is an inspiration and I love seeing his pictures and hearing his stories and watching his grow up with their dad.

Unfortunately sometimes when you are cautionary or dont agree with what some says here it becomes that you are saying the other person is doing it wrong. Thats not what I said. I also said I agreed with Smacks reference to helicoptering parents. I certainly wasnt that. I didnt agree with his statement that a motor was inherently safer than non motor. You can make both equally safe or unsafe. Knowing CD the way I do his son is a safe boater, opne because his father is (CD) and to becasue his father is a teacher and watches out for his kids welfare.

My statement is that having a motor on a boat doesnt make it inherently safer by just having it there. That was my point If you visit Annapolis harbor any day you will see humndreds of kids out there racing, practicing playing on small sailboats without motors. My first sailboat I owned was a motorless Hobie cat. I sailed it of the beach every day into the surf of the Atlantic Ocean. With that came precautions ( handheld/ compass/ ditch bag). If I sailed that in the PN other precautions would also be in place such as wet/ dry suit.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-23-2013

utchuckd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We went around that damn circle 20 times as she locked up. I was getting dzzy when I just blurted out. Get agrgressive and pick a road. She had come of age and another " Jersey Driver" was made.
Hey, look kids, there's Big Ben! (because somebody had to)
Old 03-06-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I dont want nessessarily take this into a serious discussion but I strongly disagree. I dont like that blanket statement. I understand you feelings in the PN and the water temp, but sending kids out in a dinghy without wet suits would be just as serious. Having their motor conk out in a curent filled channel could be s serious situation

A motor is not a necessarily a safety item. I can encourage a false sense of security also. Many times I have seen kids with motors stray far away from there home areas in inflatables or small skiffs...why...because they can,,,the motor will take them there. They will tend to travel out further because they have the motor and we all know motors stop working. Most kids especially of today dont have a clue how to fix a motor.

Also consider that gasoline is dangerous and explosive. Propellers can cut limps and fingers off.

I know that a sail only is not necessarily safe in all situations either, but I do not beleive a motor inherently makes things safer. Especially with younger kids. Liken a little to a bike. Which is safer, and foot driven bike or a motorcycle.

I know you are a thoughfull attentive boater and would never put your kids in harms way and it may not apply to them. I am sure you have gone over a myriad of safety situations with them from fire, handling gasoline, and what to do when they motor dies or doesnt start. I am sure they have pfds, and a portable VHF. Do the have PRB if they travel a long way? I would assume they have with them everything you would have if you were taking a long dinghy ride.

BTW I did put my daughter on a sailboat ( Hobie 16) without a motor. I lived on the beach in a shore community and she went as far as 3 miles out into the ocean whenh she sailed. She had a ditch bag of sorts with a communication device. She needed to go out if I wasnt there with other boats around her also vs doing it alone.

Here in the Chesapeake and we see in NE when we go north you see many sailing schools teaching kids and kids sailing without motors

I agree with Smacky about helicoptering and I certainly think you can overprotect them so as to smother them and you want them to learn their independence so I am not talking about that.,
Dave,

I am not sure if you read the whole thread, but the poster I was talking to was talking about liveaboard sailboat for his kids. That was my reference on the motor. And I stand behing my comment that a motor on that type of vessel makes it safer. Not safe... but safer. A sailboat is restricted in its ability to move by wind which cannot be controlled. I understand that motors also have restricting aspects (breakdowns, fuel, etc), but they provide another means of moving. It gives you options... and options are good.

The failure of the motor in your reference (kids getting a long way from shore or where they should be) was not the fault of the motor, or the boat, it was the fault of parenting and supervision. I will say that the same thing could have happened in a boat without a motor. However, with the motor they at least might get back where without it, should the wind die or a storm kick up, they might be in a lot more trouble.

I have no problem with hobies and sunfish, etc. In fact, I love them. So that you know, we ditched the tender for two kayaks with sails (and no motors). A hobie is my favorite boat to sail, incidentally. I would love my kids to hop on one (and they have, and a sunfish). No, they do not need a motor. But if they were going to live on a Hobie (which they couldn't), I would rather they had a motor with the option of being able to use it than the other way around.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-06-2013

remetau is on a distinguished road

We had a couple here that have 5 kids. When coming into the marina, they would send out the oldest kids (I think the oldest was 10) in the dink to the marina to get the lines ready.

Kids raised on boats know the safety issues involved and I find that they are much more confident and usually intelligent than most of their land based counterparts.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and congrats to him. How fun!
I but he can find a way to connect a large grill to the tube.