Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising and Sailing with Children
 Not a Member? 

Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By miatapaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road
Live Aboard Kid Christmas Gifts?

I was just wondering what kinds of toys other live aboard families either have, or are thinking about getting for the kiddos this season.

This is our first Christmas aboard, and we have been trying to stress to grandparent types that experiences would probably be better. On the other hand, they really want to have presents to open in the morning as well.

Any great ideas??

If you have suggestions for a 8 year old girl and 5 year old boy in particular, but any age is fine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012

wouldrathersail is on a distinguished road
Fishing poles? Nature/fish guide books? Tavern puzzles are small and challenging, always a time killer for me when I was young on a boat (not a liveaboard kid though).
Old 11-29-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Live Aboard Kid Christmas Gifts?

Our nieces / nephews aren't liveaboards, but we usually give them iTunes gift cards. That would easily fit on a boat and be useful if your kids have iPods.

Santa always left candy, gum, flashlights or pocketknives in my stocking as a kid. The latter two would actually be helpful to have around.
Old 11-29-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think the 8 year old would really like a radar system, and the 5 year old would really love a new chart plotter with a auto pilot. Or at least that is what I would tell the grandparents.

Though I think fishing gear, pocket knife, and perhaps a small pair of binoculars sound good. Books are compact, or perhaps an e-reader like a Kindle or Nook.
n8kraft likes this.
Old 11-29-2012

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road

lol - actually, the 5 year old keeps talking about how he wants a GPS now ever since someone came to his pre-school and did a show and tell about geocatching - I keep trying to explain to him that we actually already have that capability, but he keeps going on and on about how he wants his OWN GPS.
Old 11-30-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

A used outboard motor that they can call their own? Teach 'em how to do repairs and let them putz around on dinghy...
Old 12-19-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Camera, slingshot, Led lites or a back pack. Maybe a pirate teloscope, or a parascope. Metal detector , swim fins & goggles, Small shovel and pail...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 12-19-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Camera, slingshot, Led lites or a back pack. Maybe a pirate teloscope, or a parascope. Metal detector , swim fins & goggles, Small shovel and pail...Dale
I can just see the 6 year old cutting a hole in the deck for parascope! I remember getting a small parascope that I could use to look around corners and over things, I loved that thing.
Old 12-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Legos, fishing supplies (especially a casting net), matchbox cars, battleship (travel size), water balls to take to shore and throw, books (or better yet, a amazon gift card if they have a kindle which I am a huge fan of for boats), and playing cards like U-Ghi-O, Magic, or Pokemon. We also give them flashlights, a night-sky calendar (great app on the phone), DVD's like Annie's Ocean Life:
Ocean Life From A to Z Book and DVD: Cynthia Stierle, Annie Crawley: 9780794412227: Amazon.com: Books Ocean Life From A to Z Book and DVD: Cynthia Stierle, Annie Crawley: 9780794412227: Amazon.com: Books

I personally would not get a child anything for a boat that has a point or sharp edge. On a boat, they can be dangerous. This especially includes pocket knives.

There you go...

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-20-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Our daughter liked Art Supplies and kits when she was a little girl and she and my wife spent many hours making "creations" that decorated our bulkheads (some still do), overhead and trip logs (verses Deck Log which is entirely ship's business oriented). Somewhat older, the kids liked model kits. See Hobbymasters - Ship Wood Models as an example.

Kid's books can be fun, particularly if you do a family "story hour" in the evening--an hour when everyone gathers and shares the reading of a book, each reading aloud for a while, with appropriate voices for each character. (A far preferable pass-time than watching a movie in my view.)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."