Live Aboard Kid Christmas Gifts? - SailNet Community
Cruising and Sailing with Children All things sailing and kids related, from safety to life aboard.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By miatapaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter

Live Aboard Kid Christmas Gifts?

I was just wondering what kinds of toys other live aboard families either have, or are thinking about getting for the kiddos this season.

This is our first Christmas aboard, and we have been trying to stress to grandparent types that experiences would probably be better. On the other hand, they really want to have presents to open in the morning as well.

Any great ideas??

If you have suggestions for a 8 year old girl and 5 year old boy in particular, but any age is fine.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-29-2012

Fishing poles? Nature/fish guide books? Tavern puzzles are small and challenging, always a time killer for me when I was young on a boat (not a liveaboard kid though).
post #3 of 10 Old 11-29-2012
sv Cordelia

Re: Live Aboard Kid Christmas Gifts?

Our nieces / nephews aren't liveaboards, but we usually give them iTunes gift cards. That would easily fit on a boat and be useful if your kids have iPods.

Santa always left candy, gum, flashlights or pocketknives in my stocking as a kid. The latter two would actually be helpful to have around.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-29-2012
Old enough to know better

I think the 8 year old would really like a radar system, and the 5 year old would really love a new chart plotter with a auto pilot. Or at least that is what I would tell the grandparents.

Though I think fishing gear, pocket knife, and perhaps a small pair of binoculars sound good. Books are compact, or perhaps an e-reader like a Kindle or Nook.
n8kraft likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-29-2012 Thread Starter

lol - actually, the 5 year old keeps talking about how he wants a GPS now ever since someone came to his pre-school and did a show and tell about geocatching - I keep trying to explain to him that we actually already have that capability, but he keeps going on and on about how he wants his OWN GPS.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-30-2012

A used outboard motor that they can call their own? Teach 'em how to do repairs and let them putz around on dinghy...

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #7 of 10 Old 12-19-2012

Camera, slingshot, Led lites or a back pack. Maybe a pirate teloscope, or a parascope. Metal detector , swim fins & goggles, Small shovel and pail...Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #8 of 10 Old 12-19-2012
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
Camera, slingshot, Led lites or a back pack. Maybe a pirate teloscope, or a parascope. Metal detector , swim fins & goggles, Small shovel and pail...Dale
I can just see the 6 year old cutting a hole in the deck for parascope! I remember getting a small parascope that I could use to look around corners and over things, I loved that thing.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Legos, fishing supplies (especially a casting net), matchbox cars, battleship (travel size), water balls to take to shore and throw, books (or better yet, a amazon gift card if they have a kindle which I am a huge fan of for boats), and playing cards like U-Ghi-O, Magic, or Pokemon. We also give them flashlights, a night-sky calendar (great app on the phone), DVD's like Annie's Ocean Life:
Ocean Life From A to Z Book and DVD: Cynthia Stierle, Annie Crawley: 9780794412227: Amazon.com: Books Ocean Life From A to Z Book and DVD: Cynthia Stierle, Annie Crawley: 9780794412227: Amazon.com: Books

I personally would not get a child anything for a boat that has a point or sharp edge. On a boat, they can be dangerous. This especially includes pocket knives.

There you go...

Brian

Sailnet Moderator

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2012
Old as Dirt!

Our daughter liked Art Supplies and kits when she was a little girl and she and my wife spent many hours making "creations" that decorated our bulkheads (some still do), overhead and trip logs (verses Deck Log which is entirely ship's business oriented). Somewhat older, the kids liked model kits. See Hobbymasters - Ship Wood Models as an example.

Kid's books can be fun, particularly if you do a family "story hour" in the evening--an hour when everyone gathers and shares the reading of a book, each reading aloud for a while, with appropriate voices for each character. (A far preferable pass-time than watching a movie in my view.)

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.