SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising and Sailing with Children (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/)
-   -   Books to get kids interested in sailing? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-sailing-children/96964-books-get-kids-interested-sailing.html)

jasenj1 02-25-2013 12:11 PM

Books to get kids interested in sailing?

My 9 yo daughter is into the "reads a lot" phase. I'd like to point her towards some books that feature sailing and may help plant some seeds to grow a love for the water and sailing. She is very much into girl books - if it's not about a young girl, she's not nearly as interested. She's read all of American Girl's Caroline books. Any other suggestions?

- Jasen.

manatee 02-27-2013 12:58 PM

Re: Books to get kids interested in sailing?

I thought someone would have answered by now, but as they have not, here's my 2-cents worth:
The 'Swallows and Amazons' books by Arthur Ransome. Set in the 1930s, several groups of English kids (ages 7 - 12) sailing 14' boats (for the most part) on lakes, rivers, estuaries, the English Channel, a Caribbean treasure hunt...
They are great fun and quite addictive. There is a good bit of basic seamanship in the books, too.

Two of the main characters are sisters about your daughter's age who style themselves the Amazon Pirates. WARNING: you may become the target of incessant pestering for a boat of her own by the munchkin.

The first in the series (of a dozen) is the eponymous 'Swallows and Amazons'. If your library doesn't have them, they are available in paperback from Barnes & Noble.

Faster 02-27-2013 02:14 PM

There's a cute book called 'Adrift', bout some kids learning to sail a dinghy.. not sure if this is correct link...Adrift | Canadian Children's Book Centre

Also 'Kids for Sail':

Another treat for new readers, about adventurous kids but not really sailing, is the "Adventure series" by Enid Blyton.. interesting, too, in the British terminology used, esp for NA kids. The Adventure Series with Jack, Philip, Dinah, Lucy-Ann, and Kiki the parrot

It's great having kids on board who like to read for those longer legs, and wet, grey days.

jasenj1 02-27-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manatee (Post 995875)
The 'Swallows and Amazons' books by Arthur Ransome.

Excellent. Exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Quote:

WARNING: you may become the target of incessant pestering for a boat of her own by the munchkin.
She already has her own kayak. I'm hoping to get her into Optimist lessons in the next year or two. We still don't have a family boat, but I want her primed for when we do get one.

- Jasen.

jimgo 02-27-2013 10:49 PM

This is a great thread; thanks for starting it! I have a 4 1/2 year old who is learning to read, and a 7 year old who is an avid reader, so this is very timely for me!

hamburking 02-27-2013 11:04 PM

Dove
True Spirit
Treasure Island

jasenj1 02-28-2013 07:27 AM

Here's a few that popped up in Amazon for young readers.

I may try Dove and the other soloing around the world books in a few years.

- Jasen.

windwalker 08-15-2013 02:04 AM

I will second The Little Sailboat. My kids have all loved that book. Go Tinker go!

jameswilson29 08-15-2013 07:50 AM

I second the recommendation of "Dove" by Robin Lee Graham - definitely got me hooked...

jasenj1 08-15-2013 09:47 AM

My local library had "Swallows and Amazons". I read it and then had my daughter read it. She wasn't as hooked as I'd hoped, but she did read the whole book. I had her write down any terms she didn't understand and I explained them to her.

A few months later we were watching Jeopardy and one of the categories was about sailing. She correctly gave the answer/question, "What is tacking?" when none of the contestants knew the answer. Made me proud.

- Jasen.