SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Solo sailing

14K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  SHNOOL 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
Thank you!
Yes I made them all.
Most of the videos were shot using a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone set to 1080p.
Only one video was shot with the GoPro (though more to come) which was "Lonely Beach".
All editing was done with Window's Movie Maker.
Music came off Youtube and was converted using youtube-mp3.org

It says in the forum description to post the links and "we'll take care of the rest". Will someone eventually embed the videos into the thread?

#8 · (Edited)
Just testing an embed...

Nope, It didn't work. For YouTube videos, use just put them in as a link. Not sure how to do Vimeo.

No one comes after you to fix your post, that I know of.

Regards,
Brad

#18 ·
THIS ^

The Go pro is an overused, and frankly inferior device for quality... For action shots it's indispensable, but the wide lens fish eye that everyone uses to get the whole shot in totally makes it look "cheap."

Your videos have great content, are short enough to want to sit through them all... and your transitions aren't overdone... I love it when you get the sounds overlaid with the music in some of these and the volumes are about equal... because well, we sail, and to us the sounds a sailing vessel makes are unique and musical as well.

Beautiful craft... oh and I hope your depth gauge isn't working... cause those numbers look pretty [consistently] low.

#27 ·
This isn't a sailboat but it is a contraption that is tied up near my mooring and I see it every day I go out. It's kind of hard to explain lol...

Can't seem to embed now. Don't know why you can't simply use the embed code from the video hosting sight as long as it doesn't contain a script.
Would be a great sight if filled with a bunch of women in skimpy bikinis :devil

#39 ·
El Jefe solo non stop circumnavigation in a Baba 40 continues:

Day-112.
24hr.Run=128NM. Pos. Lat.45*07'S. Long.127*05'E. Weather=Bar=1008'mb. Wind=8-25kts.WNW. Seas=8-12ft. WNW. Cabin Temp=56*-62*.
Day-113.
24hr.Run=149 NM. Pos. Lat.45*12'S. Long.130*29'E. weather=Bar=107mb. Wind=10-25Kts.WNW. Seas=8-12ft.W. Cabin Temp=58*-62*.
Day-114.
24hr.Run=144 NM. Pos. Lat.45*45'S. Long.133*46'E. Weather=Bar=1004mb. Wind=10-25kts.WNW. Seas=8-12ft. WNW. Abin Tep.58*-60*.
Total miles sailed so far=15,394NM.
Miles sailed last three days=421 NM.
Distance left to go to East Cape Tasmania=590 NM.
Top speed so far=14.1kts.
The Rest of the Story.
Day-112.
Sailing along under mizzen main & staysail in weather just a little too dicey to pull Patches off for repair. A cold front is sneaking up on us very slowly, making it difficult to judge when it will arrive.
Tasmania looms ahead, surrounded by treacherous bodies of water, such as Bass Strait, Tasman Sea, and The Southern Ocean where we will be. Here we find ourselves with our back against the wall, as we have very little control over our arrival time, and this area to the south of Tasmaina is the sponing grounds of many sever low pressure systems.
Here aboard Sailors Run we can only hope for a little good luck transiting this stretch of ocean.
Day-113.
Today we are sailing fast along our course line, and it seems the high pressure in the area has stalled the cold fronts arrival. There is a low pressure trough up ahead that we might have the opportunity to collect some water in. I have decided that I will strip down to my underwear and slip on my Mustang work suite [A suite used by fisherman and Coast Guard alike when working in cold water areas]. This is necessary because I'm getting down to my last warm clothing. Should I get a lot of water then I can get some clothes washed up.
Today I wiped mold from some of the walls and oiled some of the teak wood below decks.
It's funny how that before this voyage, I had a huge list of things to do to get the boat ready to go, and low and behold once again I have another large list of things that need to be done to the boat, a battle that seems impossible to win.
Day-114.
Today I was pulling weather faxes and happened to notice a huge storm off Cape Horn, the likes of no sailor would care to participate in. It appeared two 964 lows had combined at the Horn and were tearing the place up.
My weather has been reassembly mild the past 5-days and it appears that will end tomorrow, when a big low moves up from the south onto the Sailors Run. It appears now that I will be ridding the northern top edge of the low in 35-45kt gale force conditions, and that should be ok. My only worry is if it comes in behind me and runs directly over the top of me meaning much more severe conditions for a longer period of time. "Feeling Lucky Punk".
Feeling Lucky the Jefe'.
PS. Be sure and check out the blog at , as Debbie is posting pictures of our past 17-years of cruising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.