SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rendering Videos on-board.

8K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  Barquito 
#1 ·
Well, this is an extension of the discussion on Paragon's thread, broken off for us to discuss.
So first let me lay out the problem for those unaware.

There are three main ways to send a video into youtube to be published.
The first is to upload as-is. People who do this hate other people.
The footage is shaky, sound levels are everywhere, and it looks like a video made in bad seas.
:cut_out_animated_em
The second is to sit down and edit the video into segments, and combine them. This is fast, easy, and can produce a decent video if your not trying to entertain a lot of people.
The third way is where the issue comes in.

When you make a video that you want a lot of people to enjoy, you must invest time into the process. Stabilizing the video, correcting the color, brightness, cropping and panning, adding filters, adjusting tone, adjusting audio, adding voice overs, ECT.
When you add these all together, you get a file that is all of the bits, and you must combine the elements, and apply each element you have added to each frame. Lucky for us the PC does this for us.
Here is the issue. If you did your entire edit on a mac air, or on a atom based windows PC you will go to combine the file into one video or (render). This process for a 10min video could take up to an hour, or more, with the wrong computer. Doing an even longer video could take days, and some computers with low specs could just not render the video.

There are 3 main programs used to edit video.
Adobe premiere
Final cut pro
And the main one used by hollywood Sony Vegas Pro.

When you edit, your PC requires a few items to make the edits very fast.
Processor, 4 or more cores preferred, at least i3, but recommend an i5
Ram, 8GB tends to be plenty.
Hard drive, SSD for the program, raid for the videos.
Video card.

The processor is the heart, and it keeps you moving, the GPU is the muscle, it does all the hard work like color correction. SSD for the program makes the elements easy to access, and makes the large swap file very fast. Lastly is the ram, and hard drives to store the video on.

My build looks like this
Core i5
8GB ram
SSD
2, internal HDD's, 2TB each, and then I offload to a 5TB drive for storage, keeping a copy on the internal HDD.
I used a mini ITX case, so I could use a full size graphics card.
A note on the processor. I read many hours of reviews, and all the tests said that between the i7 and i5 there was less then a 5% difference in rendering speed. Some test showed the i7 to be more slow. The price was higher, so I didn't bother.
I wrote off AMD because of two reasons. First, I had a quad core AMD. To render took almost an hour for a 10min video. So I got the same video card, GTX 570, and plugged it into my new I%, and it took 15min for the same video, with the same settings. 4 times the speed, changing only the processor.

Next for me will be a modern GPU, I am looking at the 295 X2 by AMD graphics. It will fit in my case, and will run on my power supply. This should make my videos render about 10 times faster. so I expect about 2-3 minuets per 10 of highly edited video. I am aiming for a 20min video length, so if I had not upgraded, I would be around 2 hours of rendering at about 5amps of power, down to 10min of render at 8 amps of power.

We will be trying to make the 4K transition before we deport next year. In doing so rendering times with be about 5-10 times longer then 1080P. It can be very important to build a future proof PC. Ours fits in a 12x12x18 slot in the shelf.

See less See more
#6 ·
Not just distribution - theatrical distribution. If you're going broadcast or even Blu-Ray, you're still at HD res.

The whole 4K thing doesn't make much sense until there is a broad distribution platform for it - and/or you're doing very complex visual effects.

Serious overkill if you ask me. I mean, are you really going to invest in a RED 4K-6K camera? Please.

PS - UP, you forgot Avid.

#7 · (Edited)
Youtube does use "4k" 4K is not the true cinematic 4k, its actually 2160P.
However, This Christmas may be the Christmas of 4K, I predict that we should see at least 1 or 2 TV's in walmart that display 4K for $199 this black Friday. They will get the 4K from youtube, amazon, netflix, and show it on their TV. Next year we will see a dramatic uptick in 4K content. More so each year. So as people move to 4K, on their TV, they will view youtube, and will want a 4K video. Thats what I am providing. In fact I did a demo 4K video, just to see how well the current PC will render, how big the files will be, and how good the videos will look.

The 4K cameras I have now, not very good.
Rendering time was bad. I think this one minute clip took me 20 minutes.

#9 · (Edited)
In fact I did a demo 4K video, just to see how well the current PC will render, how big the files will be, and how good the videos will look.

The 4K cameras I have now, not very good.
Rendering time was bad. I think this one minute clip took me 20 minutes.
I watched your vid. Honestly I think you're wasting your time/money/bandwidth shooting in 4K if this is the way you're going. Like rbrasi said, you're still encoding to H264 and playing back at HD res. The H264 compression alone kills whatever visual quality 4K brings you (you can see the artifacting/buzz at edges and noise in the textures), then downsizing finishes that hit job.

Do what you want. It's your money. But I certainly don't see the advantages right now until everything catches up platform-wise. Just having a 4K TV doesn't mean squat unless all you're doing is using it to watch the ouput from your own consumer-grade 4K camera.

As always, it's the story that matters most.

#19 ·
Looks like they are using both because VP9 has limited decoding options:

Thanks to our device partners, VP9 decoding support is available today in the Chrome web browser, in Android devices like the Samsung Galaxy S6, and in TVs and game consoles from Sony, LG, Sharp, and more. More than 20 device partners across the industry are launching products in 2015 and beyond using VP9.

To learn more about producing your own VP9 content, see our FFMpeg encoding guide or check out the Adobe Premier WebM plugin.
However, there's another bump for you on Premier over Vegas.

#14 ·
OK, maybe I am missing something but I also do not see the need for such high resolution renders. Why not render at a lower, but still HD resolution for Youtube and then save your editing file and raw footage so you can render it at higher resolution later, if you so choose. I use my five year old laptop for editing onboard or in the field and then have a more robust editing deck at home.

#15 ·
Up-converting will not increase quality.
However down-converting is a very good way to do a 1080P video from 4K and then you can pan, crop, ect without any quality loss.
Why high rez? Because people will and do want it.
I may be the first person to do the great loop in 4K :)

#24 ·
I am talking about cruising on a fixed amount, the monthly cost of adobe coming out of your kitty each month.
NOT talking about the ability to pay it in time, lol.
This is the philosophy I use in all decisions, I will carry spare sails that I buy now, rather then having to worry about the cost later, ect.
I just rebuilt my entire engine, because the costs are now, even thou it only had 1200 hours.

#25 ·
The way I see it is your boat needs a ton of work, as all boats do. Just fix the boat, get a go pro, (or even a gopro copy) and have fun. Unless you are really planning on shooting something that you hope will get picked up by a network. And for that to happen you need to have young guys jumping off the bow, and hot chicks in bikinis. And that has been done a bunch, and I am yet to see anyone make money at it. For us older middle age guys I would not worry about it. I think you want footage to be able to show the family back home. I really don't understand this whole "get a million viewers" as there is no money in it. You won't make enough to pay for your camera. Look at Dylan Winter's site. He has seen no ad-sense revenue in years and he has lots of followers and still does not turn a profit and his stuff is brilliant. I would get a power efficient box, and let it render over night. Who cares how long it takes, you are on a sail boat you have time. What you don't have is endless electricity to run high power power supplies, processors and video cards. You have to be Nike to get many folks to actually give you money. To me the point of sailing is to get away from the modern world, not drag it onto a platform it will not perform in well.

#27 ·
You can make a few hundred a month on youtube with enough videos. Its a fact. My old channel cracked $30 a month before I closed it down.
My hope is just that, a few hundred a month, from views. Patreon would be nice, and help cover production equipment.
No, I do not have anorexic girls to play on the boat, thou I have manboobs if that helps..... Personally I would rather see sailing videos without all that distraction, that is one major thing I am going for, videos I will enjoy. These however are not for me. I have a rare videographic memory, and besides sharing photos with friends and family, I would never take any photos.

#26 ·
Taking video is a fun hobby along the way. And yes, it's will not make you rich.... money wise. BUT, if you take the video for you first, you WILL be rich in other ways, more important ways!!!

When I was doing video for DVDs as we cruised, a batch of people were bashing me. They were saying things like I needed to live in the moment. Keep my eyes open and not have one closed and the other in the camera.

BUT, I shoot with both eyes open! AND, now I can relive the moment! Without the video, much would be lost to old used brain cells.

Last week, we watched our first DVD (2004) for the first time in many years. Way more memories came flooding back!!! Things that we would not have remembered with out the video to kick start them.

So, first order, take video of what matters to YOU, then make a video out of that and do not worry about what others think. If it's good, great. You might make a few dollars. If not, that's OK also.

Heck, I still have the video I took in the delivery room of my son back in 1982, priceless!!!!

Of the video I have shot, only a small part has made it to Youtube or DVDs. The rest, we have to view when we are in the rocking chairs.

Greg

#31 ·
Interesting hobby, among assorted other character defects I'm a "working musician" (Means I won't play for free but still make no money at it!) Never done any recording on board but if I know I'll have shore power I do really enjoy doing my final mixes etc. on board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.