SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

S/V East Coast Lady make her 1st trip in 4 years under sail

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  gus_452000 
#1 ·

The East Coast Lady made the 8 mile sea trial with no problems what so ever, And She loved 6 not winds out of the south. After 25 years of praying and a lot of hard work We got this free boat under sail on Sunday. What a thrill.

#6 · (Edited)
K I glad you offered. Here's the thing; I have sails when I got the boat.
1)Your main will look a lot better if you find some battens
a) Scott mainsail
b) See thru Main sail (Jeckell) from England
b) Reefing storm Jibe
c) 155 % Genoa 5oz. Dacron
d) 150 % Genoa Kevlar
e) Red white and Blue Spin
Now I have a bag of thin flat fiberglass sticks with black caps on the end. maybe 30. they range from 60" to around 16"
I'm not sure where they go? I was thinking about just stacking them long at the bottom to short at the top? is this correct?:confused:

2) Run the reefing lines.
I thought about that after we left the dock. After that sail we put the boat back on here mooring and flaked and bagged the main. I will run the next time out. once I learn which of the 2 mains I should me using. One is real thick in fact it's the one in the photo. the other one I have you can see thrue looks like fiber class. :confused:

3. Maybe a little halyard tension?
Here's the deal on that. I may have had the wrong halyard hooked up:confused: because its 3/8 to s/s wire and the wire came thru the lock down block on the side of the mast and thru the deck pulley? Not sure on this one?:confused:

4. be sure your topping lift is not too tight
The topping lift is SS wire and I don't find a way to adjust the SS wire. If you look close you will see a boom vang. Now I think it will adjust:confused:but so far cant get it to move.

thanks so much. And yes I do need all the help I can get. I am amazed how far I have gotten without sinking this girl yet. We actually sailed to the mooring yesterday spun her into the wind and hooked her up dropped the sails and did not throw anybody off the boat. Scary but fun...

#5 ·
YEEEE-FRICKEN-HAWWWW!!!!

Took some time, but the big part is outta the way. You're gonna have a BLAST figuring the old girl out!

Should be in the water here in another 5 to 6 weeks!

Reactions: ltgoshen
#10 ·
Should be shackles for those connections, or a pin at the gooseneck that goes through a couple of reef tack hooks for the tack itself.

Halyards are probably wire/rope spliced together.. typical of that era. If you're getting wire into the clutch/stoppers the wire portion is probably too long. If you want to shorten the wire portions to keep the rope in the stoppers that's a service a rigger or even a local West Marine etc might provide.. be sure the overall length is still enough before you cut.

Going to all rope halyards will be something to add to your 'wish' list.

All this is tough to do from a distance based on a few pictures. I'd urge you to befriend a more experienced sailor and try to get some one-to-one advice in person on the gear you've got, and how to put it all together.. Half an hour hour of such a persons' time will set you on the right path quickly. This is something I've done many times for others, so I'm sure there will be a suitable candidate in your area.

Reactions: Jgbrown
#11 ·
I will go to all rope soon. I just tried last month and screwed that up. I got the pilot line stuck between the sheev and the mast. It was a nightmare. Luckly for me a nice guy went up "with me cranking him" and pulled it out. it took like 3 hours to do it. I am afraid to try it again. but I must. I have the new double yacht braid 3/8 for the job. The day I tried it was windy and I did not keep tention on the line and the wind took it over. I will do it on a calm day. You can read abought it here. S/V East Coast Lady: Climbing the Mast
Thanks for all your help. talk to ya soon.

#12 ·
congrats on your first outing!

Halyard must never be let loose. when ever I take it off the main I make sure it's secure at both ends, with some kind of tension. it's amazing how quick a line will run through to the end when you least expect it.. like "oh.. I just let it dangle while I flake the main"... ZIP! 40 + feet in the air she goes!

Topping lift or the line that holds the boom up should always be released or slack. Some boats with Boom struts like yours has use a simple cable and hook, on the back-stay for "parking" the boom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.