SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
10K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  brokesailor 
#1 ·
On March 16th, 2013, Paragon pushed off from Oriental, North Carolina to spend 6 months sailing over 6000 nautical miles to Kinsale, Ireland.

We plan to stop and explore many exciting places along the way, including New York City, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Greenland, and Iceland. We will be filming all aspects of our voyage.

Once in Ireland we plan to hunker down for several months. Then, in January 2014, weekly episodes of Paragon's North Atlantic Adventure series will be begin.

We are Drake and Monique cruising aboard our Westsail 42 sailboat and home 'Paragon.' We aspire to sail all over the world, and to produce videos about the cruising life everywhere we go.

Fair winds, calm seas, happy sailing!

#36 ·
Sorry I messed you. We're in Manhasset/Port Washington, on the hard.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Brad

#38 ·

A aerial tour of the fishing town of Paamiut, Greenland (population 1300), our first port in Greenland after sailing there from St. John's, Newfoundland. We used a remote controlled drone quadcopter with a GoPro Hero 3 camera attached. You can see our Westsail 42 sailboat 'Paragon' rafted up to the derelict minke whale hunting boat.

#46 ·
Thanks smackdaddy! We just arrived in Reykjavik, Iceland after sailing 700+ nautical miles from Greenland, and are about to push off for Ireland. I can't wait to settle down for the Fall/Winter in Ireland or England to start editing the 4+ terabytes of video we've filmed so far! Happy sailing, Drake, Mo and Eanna aboard Paragon

#44 ·
Love these. The aerial cam was a neat add. Glad you and the crew seem well. Still sorry we missed you when you were in the neighborhood.

Couple of questions, if we can.

Where did crew member #3 join? I thought you set out from New England with just you and Mo.

Why two dinks?
Hi Minnewaska, Greetings from Paragon in Reykjavik, Iceland! We docked here yesterday after a hellacious sail from Greenland. Monique and I pushed off from Oriental, North Carolina last March with 1 crew Adam who stayed with us until Atlantic City, NJ. We then daysailed up the coast to Boston. Eanna flew from Dublin to Boston to join us on May 23rd and we are sailing with him all the way to his hometown of Kinsale, Ireland. We generally prefer to use the rowing dinghy to get to shore, and love using it with a sailing rig to explore the various ports. We also have a RIB and plan to use it with a 10hp outboard and 100 gallon water bladder to ferry potable water to Paragon at anchor. We are about to push off for Ireland at the next available weather window where we hope to be allowed to spend the winter repairing the boat and editing our video series. Happy sailing!
Drake

#45 ·
Hi brokesailor, Thanks! Greetings from Paragon just docked in Reykjavik, Iceland, enroute to Ireland. A growler is a small iceberg that rises little above the water. We went through Prins Christian Sund during the 2-3 months of the year that it is navigable without ice. At the end of the timelapse video there's a photo of what the weather station dock in Prins Christian Sund looks like in winter, completely blocked in by ice. Happy sailing, Drake

#48 ·
Hi smackdaddy,

I'm copying the raw video files straight from 128 GB SD cards onto Seagate portable 1.5 TB external USB drives

(Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5 TB USB 3.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive in Black STAA1500100: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31bqpyTVSIL.@@AMEPARAM@@31bqpyTVSIL)

From there I'm processing the video with Apple's Final Cut Pro X video editing software and in the process backing up those files onto a Drobo 8 TB RAID array.

Amazon.com : Drobo Beyond Raid 4-Bay USB 2.0/FireWire 800 SATA 6GB/S Storage Array with Drobo PC Backup : Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418GhzIDJ4L.@@AMEPARAM@@418GhzIDJ4L

The Drobo drive has fault tolerance in that if any of the 4 2 TB drives in it fails, then I don't loose any data. I can swap out the bad drive with a new one and rebuild it.

From there I'm backing up everything onto a second mirror Drobo drive.

We better get to Ireland soon because we're almost out of disk space! :)

Happy sailing!

Drake

#51 ·
Hi ScottUK,

I used a stock DJI Phantom quadcopter which comes with its own remote control, DJI propeller guards, a GoPro Hero 3 Black camera, and Fatshark FPV goggles. I didn't use an electric gimbal, but did fly the Phantom in 'attitude' mode instead of 'GPS' mode for smoother flight. I've also posted a bunch of aerial photos on our facebook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/drakeParagon/media_set?set=a.10153131932120322.1073741831.611490321&type=3

and

https://www.facebook.com/drakeParagon/media_set?set=a.10153032502100322.1073741829.611490321&type=3

We filmed a ton of aerial footage from Boston and Gloucester, MA, Lunenberg, Nova Scotia, St John's, Newfoundland, and all over the south west coast of Greenland before our quad named "Harry" crashed into an enormous iceberg. :( We'll start publishing our weekly videos of this 6 month voyage starting in January 2014.

I can't wait to get another of the same rig and to be up and flying again when we reach Ireland. I'm also considering a AeroXcraft or DJI Phantom zenmuse electric gimbal.

Happy sailing,

Drake
s/v 'Paragon'
currently docked at the yacht club in Reykjavik, Iceland
drakeParagon - YouTube
www.facebook.com/drakeParagon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.