SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
9K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  brokesailor 
#1 ·
On March 16th, 2013, Paragon pushed off from Oriental, North Carolina to spend 6 months sailing over 6000 nautical miles to Kinsale, Ireland.

We plan to stop and explore many exciting places along the way, including New York City, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Greenland, and Iceland. We will be filming all aspects of our voyage.

Once in Ireland we plan to hunker down for several months. Then, in January 2014, weekly episodes of Paragon's North Atlantic Adventure series will be begin.

We are Drake and Monique cruising aboard our Westsail 42 sailboat and home 'Paragon.' We aspire to sail all over the world, and to produce videos about the cruising life everywhere we go.

Fair winds, calm seas, happy sailing!

#4 ·
I look forward to the videos!

Looks like you are ready (all three of you). Tip of the hat to Monique, who has come a long way a short time.

Let me know when you are in RI!

Fair winds!

#6 ·
Just saw Monique's blog post about your departure. Congratulations on pushing off! I assume you are in New York by now since yesterday was a perfect day to make the jump from AC.

Are you going to continue north through the sound or are you going outside? If you stop anywhere along the CT cost, post something, I'd love to swing by and say hello.

Look forward to more videos!

Fair winds!

-Eric

#11 ·
I have come to expect well edited, and professional videos from you, and this is no exception. I look forward to more!

Thank you for sharing.

If you don't mind a little critique; I would love to see and hear you provide an overview of the planned route, and a summary of what happened during the trip (ex. "We covered 56 nautical miles, and it took us one day. During the trip we saw a pheasant, an elephant, and ran aground 3 times." :) ActiveCaptain provided excellent information about the shoaling along this stretch of the ICW.")

#17 ·
On March 16th, 2013, Paragon pushed off from Oriental, North Carolina to spend 6 months sailing over 6000 nautical miles to Kinsale, Ireland.

We plan to stop and explore many exciting places along the way, including New York City, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Greenland, and Iceland. We will be filming all aspects of our voyage.

Once in Ireland we plan to hunker down for several months. Then, in January 2014, weekly episodes of Paragon's North Atlantic Adventure series will be begin.

We are Drake and Monique cruising aboard our Westsail 42 sailboat and home 'Paragon.' We aspire to sail all over the world, and to produce videos about the cruising life everywhere we go.

Fair winds, calm seas, happy sailing!

Preview - s/v Paragon North Atlantic Voyage - Leaving Oriental, NC - YouTube
Drake! Great to see you over here. I'll be watching you on your channel. Don't forget to have a look at ours, too.

#19 · (Edited)
Drake,

With some advanced notice (like a day or 2), I can film you going up the East River in NY, from the 35th floor of a waterfront skyscraper. Please let me know if you want that.

Also, you have a place to stay on land and a loaner car if you dock in Nassau County, NY. We'll get the NY Sailnetters together to buy you dinner too.

The new/repaired bowsprit looks great.

Fair winds.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: drakeParagon
#24 · (Edited)
Drake and Monique,

Just wanted to repeat the offer for dinner, car for reprovisioning, whatever you may need.

We are on the hard in Port Washington for a few more weeks while I do some maintenance, install more solar panels, and generally fix things. Then it's on to Montauk, Block Island, and Possibly Martha's Vineyard for the Sailnet gathering there in late July.

Hope all is well.

Regards,
Brad

Drake,

With some advanced notice (like a day or 2), I can film you going up the East River in NY, from the 35th floor of a waterfront skyscraper. Please let me know if you want that.

Also, you have a place to stay on land and a loaner car if you dock in Nassau County, NY. We'll get the NY Sailnetters together to buy you dinner too.

The new/repaired bowsprit looks great.

Fair winds.

Regards,
Brad

#28 ·
Thanks Minnewaska, We've been at anchor in Newport, RI for the past several days and the harbor here has been the greatest place for giving Mo sailing lessons in our 9 foot sailing dinghy.

We've also been sailing the dinghy from Paragon at anchor to and from the dinghy dock far away. With me in the bow filming and Mo at the helm, we've had some of the most beautiful day sails. I can't wait to edit the footage! Mo is becoming a great sailor, and we are both thrilled and eager for our upcoming voyage.

#34 ·
Thank you! When we get to Ireland in September I'll start editing the thousands of hours of footage into episodes, 10-15 minutes each, and each with all of the dialogue in addition to music. We'll start publishing weekly episodes in January 2014. Until then I'm enjoying briefly reviewing the footage and putting some of my favorite parts to music in the 'sneak peeks.' - I think our next sneak peek will be a quick flying through of our footage taken over 2 months of voyaging. We sailed from Atlantic City to New York to Rhode Island (anchoring in NY at West 79th Street Boat Basin, in front of the Statue of Liberty, next to City Island, in Manhasset harbor, in Mount Sinai Harbor, and in Block Island and Newport, RI where we are now.) Tomorrow we are pushing off for Boston.. I'll probably end the next sneak peek with footage of picking up our crew Eanna at Logan airport in a couple of weeks. Thanks for sailing with us! :)

#32 ·
Hi Smackdaddy, I really like Brad Sucks music. I'm amazed that he makes all of his music available for free and allows anyone to do anything with his music without having to worry about copyright issues. I hope to use more of his music in the future, and think it would be awesome to see him perform live.

Mo and I have spent countless days searching the internet for music. In most cases we have to purchase a license agreement which grants us permission to use the song in our videos. And in others we can use the music for free as long as we credit the artist. We think that music can make all the difference in the world in telling a good story.

#33 ·
Hi brokesailor, Monique is my girlfriend.

My cat's name was Aebi - I named her after Tanya Aebi, and also after the Abacos where I adopted her at just a few weeks old. A week later I sailed single handed from Marsh Harbor, Abacos direct to Newport aboard my Westsail 32 in 9 days - Aebi got her sea legs when she was just a kitten, and over her 4 years of life she never knew that cats don't normally live on boats and spend their lives sailing offshore and exploring Caribbean islands. That cat and I sailed sailed between New England and the Caribbean a few times, with 2 northbound pit stops in Bermuda. After having sailed for thousands of miles, Aebi disappeared one dark and stormy night while we were at anchor in Guadeloupe. I'm guessing that the strong current carried her out to sea. I searched every day for weeks. Then I buried some of her favorite cat toys and treats at the base of a tree that she liked to climb and sailed on to Venezuela.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.