Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > CS Yachts
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013

chamonix is on a distinguished road
Air vent for water tank on cs30

Anybody know where the air vent for the water tank on a cs30 runs. Or does it even have one. Have been unable to find it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Air vent for water tank on cs30

CS historically ran water vents to either the galley sink or head sink. There are usually little spouts aiming into the sink and if you over fill the tank it vents into the sink..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-25-2013

AAAH! Thanks Main Sail. Have noticed that when filling the tank, water comes out of the galley hand pump.
Old 07-25-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

The hand pump is not the vent. The vent at the sink is a metal tube. They also in the last couple years of production have a deck fill that the vent is in the side of the threaded fill pipe.
Jim
Old 07-26-2013

It's a 1985 model so It's unlikely to be at the fill pipe. I'll have to check at the sink this weekend. On a similar note I have three air vent holes on the hull. One for the holding tank, one for the fuel tank, both on the port side. But I have one more at the stern. Anybody have any idea what that's for? Thought it might have been for the water tank, except its a fair distance from the tank and seemed to be an unnecessary long run. The answers I've received would confirm that's it's not for the water tank. So what's it for?
Old 07-26-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Where in relation to the waterline is the thru hull? Do you have a propane storage locker?
Jim
Old 07-26-2013

It's at the port side of the stern at the top of the hull near the hull/deck joint. It is near the propane locker, but I don't think it's for that. Well I'll be at the boat this weekend and i'll check it out properly. Probably means getting down into the cockpit locker and crawling to the back of the boat, something I was hopping I would not have to do again this year. I'm a big guy and it's a tight fit.
Old 08-12-2013

Well, I was at the boat for a week and had a chance to look into the water tank air vent situation, I'll just put down what I found for future reference. Checked the water tank. Problem is that you can't see or even feel the whole tank, so it's possible that there's a line I can't see. What lines I could see I could account for and none where a vent line. Galley area, again no lines I could not account for. Only line going to the hand pump is of the main cold water line. Didn't check the plumbing at he head, ( forgot Mainesail mentioning the head ) but checked all lines running from the tank to the head area and no vent line. Bit of a mystery here. the only clue I seem to have is that I fill the tank until I can see water coming up the fill pipe ( only way to be sure the tank is full ). When I do water runs out the hand pump for a couple of minutes. It's possible that the over pressure runs back down the main cold water line to vent out the hand pump which has a pressure relief valve to let the air/water through. Unlikely, and weak at best, but it's all I've got right now.

Last edited by chamonix; 08-12-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2013

Also checked the three air vent holes on the hull near the deck. As mentioned there are three, one port bow, one port midship at the cockpit locker and fuel tank, and one at the center of the stern. Know for sure that the port bow is the vent for the holding tank. Saw the line for the port midship heading for the fuel tank and assumed it was the vent for the fuel tank. That left the stern vent. Was kind of hoping that was for the water tank. Only one thing to do, empty the cockpit locker again, and jam my lardy ass to the stern of the boat. Surprise, that vent turns out to be for the fuel tank, which runs a considerable way aft. So what about the vent at port midship? Whats that for? Traced that vent line, It runs underneath the fuel tank and joins two other lines passing through a hole at the bottom of cockpit locker near the engine.
Down to the access hatch in the aft berth. Yup, there's the three lines coming through the hole. Can't tell which line is which though, but they all lead to the engine. Two are obviously fuel lines. The third ( what is, I assume, the line leading to the vent hole ) runs to a box like structure at the top rear of the engine that looks like a fuse box. So what is this line and what does it do? No idea at this point. Possible some kind of vacuum line? The box it goes to looks like a fuse box not a vacuum valve. Another mystery.
Old 09-15-2013

Oaksail is on a distinguished road

On the 30 the tank vent runs up behind the cabinet in the head. It runs as high as the underside of the deck and then loops downward for 5 to 6 inches. if you overfill the tank it will dribble into the bilge. If you remove the cabinet you can see it quite easily, you also gain access to the tank fill tube. It is the perfect spot to install a vented loop for the head.
The midship vent on the port side is a CS make shift anti-siphon line. The other end of the line is connected at the engine thermostat housing. You will find at high engine revs you will see and feel hot water dribbling out of the vent.
chamonix (10-22-2013)