SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   CS Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cs-yachts/)
-   -   CS 30 - basic info needed (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cs-yachts/103551-cs-30-basic-info-needed.html)

gallilaw 09-10-2013 01:19 PM

CS 30 - basic info needed

Need to learn a few things about the CS 30:

Am I right that the hull is solid, NOT balsa cored anywhere?

Did the factory overbore and epoxy the drill-throughs where the deck hardware was mounted, or otherwise prevent water from getting into the balsa core at the deck gear locations?

Every model boat seems to have some "typical" trouble areas that will develop over the years. What typical problems should I be looking for when considering a purchase of a used CS 30? Which of those issues are in the have-to-fix category, and which should be considered deal-breakers?

Some folks say that the CS 30 was designed for the Great Lakes; but others say it is fine for coastal ocean cruising. Is there any reason why an coastal ocean sailor should stay away from the CS 30?

Finally: when the wind spikes, on my current boat I furl the jib, and sail on the mainsail alone -- reefing that only when the wind hits persistently more than 22 knots. The total "standard" sail plan on my boat is weighted: mainsail=57% and jib=43%. On the CS 30, the mainsail accounts for only 45% of the standard 462 SF sail plan. When the wind spikes, will the CS 30 handle well on mainsail alone; or what is the recommended response?

Oaksail 09-15-2013 08:06 PM

Re: CS 30 - basic info needed

Hull is solid, nor balsa core. Deck is balsa cored but solid along the perimeter where the toe rail bolts thru and the genoa track portions are solid. Note sure at the chain plates.
Cockpit drain hoses should be replaced or inspected.
Solid core AC wiring should be replaced.
The holding tank should be fitted with an internal extension tube that will allow complete emptying of the tank.
I dont like sailing with only one sail up. The 30 has a quite a bit of sail (with the 150 genoa), It feels too unbalanced to me on just one sail. I plan on purchasing a good used jib this winter to be better ready next year for those 25+ knt days.

Oaksail 09-15-2013 08:07 PM

"nor" should read "no"

sailingfool 09-16-2013 08:55 AM

Sailing with just the jib is a fine solution on boats with smaller mains. In addition to it being more convenient to simply unfurl the jib and go than to raise the main, on these boats the jib gives more drive than the main and may be necessary to retain good control. The only caveat is to anticipate and manage the resulting lee helm, in particular you need to ensure good momentum before going into a tack as it is easy to stall the boat. I never found jib-only sailing on my CS36T a problem, whereas the boat would only go downwind under main alone.

The CS 30 is a sweet racer-cruiser, fine for coastal use, but you might lookup the story the story of the crew that raced one half-way to Bermuda before they got off...