Water System Op - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-04-2015 Thread Starter

Water System Op

Hey all. Hope sailing is good today. I want to stay overnight on my boat for the first time. The water system to the sinks does not seem to be working. Can someone run through the basics of a water system. The head is getting water... Nothing else is.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-04-2015

Re: Water System Op

Well I will try to give you a general overview as you gave no model size or type of boat. There has to be a water tank or supply. A plumbing system (Pipes n Valves) to move the water from tank to sink. A water pump manual or electric to provide the motive source to move said water through the pipes from tank/source to the sincs. I guess the rest is up to you. Bob
post #3 of 12 Old 09-04-2015

Can you hear a pump running if you turn on the breaker for pressure water? If not, why not would be a very good question.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

post #4 of 12 Old 09-04-2015

Hey,

As mentioned, the system is pretty simple;
Water tank (or tanks) to hold the water
water lines to connect tank to taps (in galley and head)
pump to move the water

Do you have pressure water or a manual pump? If pressure, there will be a switch on your breaker panel. If manual, you will have a pump lever at the galley and head

When you write that the head has water do you mean for the toilet or sink? Many / most marine toilets use seawater to flush. They have a separate water intake for that. The head sink usually uses fresh water from the water tank.

You will have to locate the tank(s) and see if there is water, then find the pump, then see what happens.

Good luck,
Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-04-2015 Thread Starter

These are all great tips. The boat is a CS 27 1981. The water pump at sink in head seems to be wanting water... Yet no water comes out. There is a pump by the tank itself that does not seem to be working. I've opened or closed both (lever and tap) valves that seem to connect to the water system but nothing. Could the one pump be the culprit? Yes, I also have flipped the fresh water breaker at the electrical panel.

Last edited by Patrick.a7; 09-05-2015 at 04:20 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-04-2015 Thread Starter

Also... So all boats have a manual pump? If so... What does it look like?
post #7 of 12 Old 09-04-2015

Most boats have a manual pump, then a lot also have an electric pump. Mine has both as I think is pretty common...you can hear it pressurizing the system when you flip it on. Most of the manual pumps (as on mine) that I've seen are little foot pumps on the floor near the sink.

If the pump doesn't kick on immediately when it's getting power, it's probably not working. If it's been sitting a while it might have frozen, or maybe it's just not getting power. Do you have an ohm meter to check the leads? If there's power to the pump but it's not kicking on to pressurize the system, time for a new pump. No big deal though...they're not terribly expensive. Unless the pump has a switch that turns it off when there's no water to pump, so you might want to make sure it's getting water.

If you haven't ever used the water on your boat, you probably don't want to be drinking whatever water is in the tank.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-04-2015

OP profile says CS 27. do you have a faucet at the sink? does it have a manual pump handle or on off knobs like the sink in most homes?

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2015 Thread Starter

The foot pump or hand pump can't be found by my man eyes. I'll look again in the am.
The faucets both look like regular single knob faucets. They unscrew to reveal a white hose. Should I pump those once the hose shows? The pump at the head sink seems to turn on but still no water comes out. I've opened both faucets.
I was not going to drink the water until I actually got it tested. I just wanted to rinse stuff with it. I believe the tank was empty and I filled some water in to test the system. I know that the water on the boat had not been used for a long time. I eventually would like to wash dishes, my face and brush my teeth with it tho. Thanks for all your tips.

Last edited by Patrick.a7; 09-05-2015 at 04:20 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-06-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you. I now have water in my sinks. Although, it still has antifreeze in it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.