Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > CS Yachts
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Installing an anchor roller / CS-36T

Rob had asked about my anchor roller he'd seen this summer when in Maine so here it is.

I first measured the inside width of the existing stem head and then went to Hamilton Marine and found a roller that was as close to that width as I could and one that would be long enough to keep my Rocna 33 from hitting my hull.

I wound up drilling two new holes in the stem head and through bolting with stainless bar stock. The new holes were very close to the aft existing stem head through bolt so my backing plate had to be notched slightly with my Dremel before it would fit flush.

The tang for the furler was also in the way and I had to very carefully notch the anchor roller, again with the Dremel, to make it fit. I was very careful not to have any sharp corners and made the notch with a nice smooth round bottom being careful to leave as much metal as possible so as not to weaken the roller more than totally necessary. It required much measuring and a cardboard mock up, of the roller, to make sure I had it right before cutting.

It should be noted that I NEVER use the roller to run my anchor line through, when anchored, and always cleat it off through the chocks instead of the roller. Carrying the anchor is fine when in transit, and in in calm seas, but I stow it in rough seas.

I also remove it and store it in my anchor locker when on my mooring to prevent chafing of my mooring pendant! This is something any CS-36T owner should do if your leaving your boat unattended and on a mooring. The bow chocks are in a poor location for anchor chafe while moored...

Excuse the rust it was end of season! Note the machine screw going through the side of the roller and the stem head. This helps support that end of the roller after the notch I had to make.

This shows the two aft bolts. The front pre-drilled hole in the roller is too far forward to get a nut onto the under side of. Again if you use the chocks, when anchoring, the roller is more than strong enough to hold a 35+ lb anchor!

Why I don't keep an anchor on the bow at the mooring! Picture three foot waves, yawing, and the sawing action of the anchor on the pendants!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-18-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook