SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cs 36t

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  prior 
#1 ·
I have just made offer on a 1982 CS 36T. We will need new sails once process is complete. Can anyone furnish required dimensions?
Does anyone have any problems with the V-drive?

#2 · (Edited)
Google "sailboat dimensions" and you'll get several sites with that info. However it's always best to get the sailmaker down to the boat for detailed measurements. Stock numbers are below.

CS 36 I=49.0 J= 15.0 P=42.7 E=12.7 Where
I is height from deck to top of forestay,
J is distance from mast to bottom of forestay
P is height from gooseneck to top of main
E is length of sail on the boom.

Regarding V-drives.. I don't believe Vdrive transmissions are any more of an issue than a straight-thru other than a couple of extra gears, but the one downfall of a V drive installation is the difficult access to the stuffing box/stern tube which often ends up directly beneath the engine. (installations do vary, of course) Also with a V drive the engine is essentially "backwards" in the boat and you'll need to hope the builder took access to filters, belts, pumps etc into account.

The CS36T is a classic, solid, well regarded boat and I don't think you can go wrong with a good one.

#3 ·
I too have an offer in on a 36T. The survey report indicates ave deck moisture content of 3.5% and hull of 3.8%. Any idea where I can get an interpetation? The surveyor seems unclear other than the deck is sound, but all 27 year old decks have moisture that will lead to eventual delam.

#4 ·
...The surveyor seems unclear other than the deck is sound, but all 27 year old decks have moisture that will lead to eventual delam.
Say what??? What you have is a failure to communicate. You need to get the surveyor to explain the significance of his reading...if it was not your surveyor, then you need to hire one. God forbid that all 27 year old decks should have moisture and will delamin...that is a pretty odd-ball concept. Some do but most don't.

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
So I have had the deck re surveyed by another fella and all seems fine save for some rebedding required.
Has any one cut access holes for the lower chainplate access? Do I need to remove the chainplate from the frames to rebed them? Should anything go into the holes prior to reinstalling the chainplates? Sealer? epoxy?
Does anyone have an CS36T owners manual? Specifically rigging guide to tension the stays.

On the vee drive issue my boat makes a completely different sound, not harsh just different, in reverse as compared to forward. Is this normal?

#7 ·
sailingfool,
thanks for the reply. I have made the purchase of the 36T, but not without some hard work. During the haul-out we found multiple blisters, most on one side, none larger 2" dia. So it is on the hard waiting to be scraped, dried to 5%, epoxied and finished. Anything you can offer that I should be on lookout for, would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
BTW the engine/transmission sounds great. Had to replace the cutlass bearing and shaft coupling, though.

#9 ·
Yes, we are very excited about geting her back in the water and actually sailing. She is 1982 deep keel. Has been on Lake Texoma for at least 12 years from what I know. There is also a CS30 and a CS40. Haven't found the CS40 yet, but the CS30 is beside ours getting a bottom job now.
I will check the areas you mentioned.
The surveyor mentioned I should consider rebedding a couple of chain plates, how tough is that?
The next project will be new running rigging and new sails. I want to be competitve here, so I'm looking at some laminate sails. Had any experience with any?

#10 ·
I too have a 82 cs36, shoal draft. I will be rebedding all the deck fittings and the chainplates. The chainpalte access if apparently not too bad with the removal of the cupboards. My question will be how much to tighten the bolts on reinstallation. I have checked the torque as part of my prepurchase and they are very tight! Let me know how you make out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.