SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

CS 36T Portholes

10K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  merv 
#1 ·
I've been researching this yacht a bit. It appears there were two distinctly different porthole types available. Was there a reason for this? Advantages, disadvantages of the two?

#2 · (Edited)
The earlier models (pre about 1985) had very small slitty looking side ports. The later ones especially 1988/89 (last year this model was made) had more modern Lewmar metal ports. I think the earlier ones had plastic Beckson ports. In addition many owners have replaced the original plastic ports with larger ones. CS continually refined their boats making small changes. They had different engines too, earlier ones with the Westerbeke and later ones with the terrible Volvo 2003. All with V drives.

#4 ·
I believe that most CS 36Ts were produced with the opening ports - a few very early models had bonded deadlights a la C&C and others. The brand of ports used likely varied over the production run. I think there were more of the 33s produced without the opening ports. I've also seen both versions in the newer CS30

There would be obvious ventilation advantages with the multiple opening ports over the bonded window style.

Reactions: NorthernPilgrim
#6 ·
The 36T only came with opening ports. In the 30 and 33 opening ports were optional and most buyers preferred the opening ports. The 36M and 40 had fixed ports. I started with a 30 in 84 and got a Merlin in 88 which I still have. I live about 20 miles from where the factory used to be and watched both boats being built.

#8 ·
Tennyson the owner started with a 22 and 27. Late 70's Ray Wall that used to design for Camper Nicholsen came aboard and designed the 33 and 36 which is now known as the 36Traditional (36T). I think Wall also had a hand in the 27. Around 1982 Tennyson got Tony Castro to design the 30. It was a runaway success. So they were building the 30,33 and 36T. In 1987 Castro designed a new 36... the Merlin (36M). Tennyson continued building the 36T at the same time. So they had two 36's going until 1988 when the last 36T was built. They also built a Castro designed 40. All the Castro boats were solid glass to the waterline and then vacuum bagged balsa cored topsides. The 33 and 36T had solid glass hulls. There are very few Merlins around, I think less than 100 were built.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group

#10 ·
CS36 Ports

Rob, I have an 1985 CS36 Traditional, last year I replaced all 8 opening ports, used the same Beckson ports, under $1000.00. Newer ports have a cam mechanism to close port, and I opted for concealed nuts on the outside so there is no visible bolts from the outside. I figured the orignal ports lasted 23 years... so I might as well continue with them.

#13 ·
I'm a complete newbie, but to me the smaller the port, the less surface area to smash in, therefore the more ocean-worthy. Plus, supposing it does get smashed in, a smaller hole lets in less water than a larger one. Those long non-opening slits make me nervous. Also, I have the notion that the opening clamps (?) somehow add strength, they look sturdier.

#14 ·
Opening / Fixed Ports on CS36T

I am halfway through changing all of the ports on my 1981 CS36T.

Four were opening: Galley, Head, Chart Table and Over Hanging Locker - fore and aft on both sides. The four middle ports (over the settee) were same size but fixed.

All 8 will be opening when completed this spring.

Ventilation was poor and should be a lot better. It takes about 2 hours per port to change. I am doing them one at a time to make sure each one is secure before going on to the next.

I am using Beckson replacement ports. The new ones are almost identical to the originals and have drain spouts to eliminate the pooled water that used to pour in when the original port was opened. Make sure to use the proper adhesive (fibreglass to plastic) or they will not adhere properly.

#18 ·
Merv:

Sorry for delay. We have been fighting weather down the Chesapeake and Alligator River on our way south.

We used GE SilPruf Silicone SCS2000 Series Sealant.

May be hard to find in marine stores. I got it at a general contracting supply. Information sheet is available from GE.

We are very pleased with the ports we have replaced. 3 to go. Waiting until Florida to finish.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.