Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > CS Yachts
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
CS 34 genoa car track

Trying to replace my 19 y/o genoa cars with some nice adjustable cars from Garhauer, but I am running into a problem getting the cars on the track.

The track is still very good, and I don't want to remove it or change it, but because of limited "straight line" room at each end, I will need to loosen one end or the lther to buy myself about 1/2" clearance to slide the cars on the track.

My problem is that the bottom side of the deck in this location is COMPLETELY hidden by the solid cabin roof liner - no where to even see what the below deck side of the genoa track bolts look like (can't even find a peep hole to see them from a distance!). We could argue the merits of a cabin roof liner all day (looks great, pain to work around), but this is what I have to deal with for now.

I suspect that the bolts thread into long nuts imbedded into the deck fiberglass, much like the traveler bolts were across the cabin top when I changed this a year ago. If so, I should be able to take out 3-4 bolts and get the clearance I need.

Has anyone out there removed the genoa car track on a CS34, and if so, do I need to worry about getting access to the bottom side of the deck control the nuts, and if so, how can I get this access? I know this is kind of specific, but there seems to be a tremendous amount of experience out there on Sailnet, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2010
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Problem Solved

TUrns out that the genoa car track is bolted to either imbedded nuts or an aluminum plate in the deck, not to nuts on the underneath side of the deck. I was able to raise the track easily, although changing to another track would require pretty precise bolt hole placement. New track cars are on and look nice. If any questions, let me know.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook