SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   CS Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cs-yachts/)
-   -   CS27 Holding & Water Tank Replacement (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cs-yachts/74120-cs27-holding-water-tank-replacement.html)

cghubbell 05-03-2011 05:15 PM

CS27 Holding & Water Tank Replacement

Has anyone replaced a holding tank and/or fresh water tank in their CS27? I'm getting ready to do both and would appreciate any pointers to sizes / makes / models that have worked.

From what I can tell, the original tanks were made by Kracor. The bow tank in my boat was a 16 gallon / mold #3300. The 32 gallon holding tank I could not find anything similar to in the current catalog.

I'm still trying to make my way through the Ronco catalog, but it's a much larger buffet than I want to fight through!

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

CraigCS27 08-08-2011 12:45 PM

I see that no one has replied to this....and I'm in the same boat.
Did you figure something out for the tanks yet?
I came across this, just now...
Scepter Marine Tanks

cghubbell 08-08-2011 02:32 PM

That link looked like it referenced the Moeller line of tanks. I found a Kracor which is very similar to my original holdign tank, but slight smaller. After cleaning out my fresh water tank, I'm going to re-use it. It came out great after some scrubbing.

As far as I can tell, after searching all of the companies currently making standardized tanks, there is no "drop-in" replacement for the CS 27 tank. Whatever you do will require fabricating some kind of bed and retention system.

I've run into some other more pressing projects at the moment, so haven't been able to complete this one. I'll certainly post an update when I get back on track though.

CraigCS27 08-08-2011 03:53 PM

Thanks Chris! I'll post something here if I figure anything out in the meantime too.

chamonix 08-11-2011 11:31 PM

Try Holland Marine in Mississauga, They have a lot of CS stuff that is hard to get.

CraigCS27 08-12-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chamonix (Post 761349)
Try Holland Marine in Mississauga, They have a lot of CS stuff that is hard to get.

I sent them an email 4 days ago with a request of a bunch of parts, other than this, and I still haven't heard back from them. Maybe my email went to their junk folder or something...I should call them.
Thanks for the suggestion.

cghubbell 08-12-2011 08:50 AM

I've been through their inventory. The holding tanks (at least on my 1977) were manufactured by Kracor. Holland is great for things like stanchion bases, rudders, and custom CS fittings. Unfortunately the problem is that the mold is no longer available for the holding tank on my boat from Kracor.

I'm in the process now of trying to decide whether I will use a rctangular tank, a suspended keel tank, or a side tank. The current (leaky) tank is a side style tank in my boat, so I'm inclined to go with something similar to minimize the re-engineering I need to do to support it.

Ronco, Kracor, and Ocean Link all have tanks that will work. Kracor's downfall in this line up is that their stock tanks appear to have only one vent fitting, and I want two. Haven't made it much past this stage of research.

rugosa 08-29-2011 09:46 PM

CS also used a company in Toronto named Acco Asman (check spelling, might be AKKO Assman) to make plastic molded tanks but that was way back, ran into company at Toronto Boat Show Jan '11 in Pickering or Ajax, ON that will make plastic tanks to order, so you should be able to get them the way you want them.

Was at Holland Marine in May, didn't like that there were no prices on anything, but did get the A&H port gaskets I needed.

CS was really astute at sourcing product from non-marine suppliers (interior cabinets, railings, castings, etc.) and keeping production costs down. You can try Brewer Brothers Marine Supply in Hamilton, they seem to have virtually everything or can get it.

vpardi 09-28-2011 11:36 PM

kracor retention system holding tank

I too have a Kracor retention system type holding tank on my 1972 Irwin 32. Since Iam in the great lakes I will not be pumping overboard, but couldn't abide the recirculation type flush. I plugged the 3/4" recirculation fitting on tank and teed off the sink drain thru hull to the head pump thru an anti-siphon loop. I am much happier and there is no reason to repace the tank. My holding tank is a respectable 16 gallon capcity and doesn't leak.

Kracor holding tanks are still available: check out their marine catalog-http://www.kracor.com/support/holdingtanks.pdf
Hope this helps,
Vince

cghubbell 09-29-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vpardi (Post 780784)
I too have a Kracor retention system type holding tank on my 1972 Irwin 32. Since Iam in the great lakes I will not be pumping overboard, but couldn't abide the recirculation type flush. I plugged the 3/4" recirculation fitting on tank and teed off the sink drain thru hull to the head pump thru an anti-siphon loop. I am much happier and there is no reason to repace the tank. My holding tank is a respectable 16 gallon capcity and doesn't leak.

Kracor holding tanks are still available: check out their marine catalog-http://www.kracor.com/support/holdingtanks.pdf
Hope this helps,
Vince

Yes, Kracor is still making tanks, but not the model that is in my boat. I was trying to avoid having to build a new support system which a different tank size/shape would require. I've decided to wait to tackle this project until the boat is hauled in a few weeks. I've been spending the time sailing rather than working (very happily, I might add!).