SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Volvo Penta 2002 - Stalling and rough idle - HELP!

28K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  bobjohn1212 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Need your help, please!
We were having trouble with our engine stalling in low while under load and in neutral.
Both the Raycor and water/fuel separator have been replaced.
They were installed by a pro, and he also bled the lines and tested it at dock.
Of course, it ran tickety boo for him, (just like taking the car to the mechanic, the darn thing runs like a top).

We took the boat out on Saturday, and motored for about 2 hours...hoping the new filters were the answer, but it started to act up again on the way home.
We then added fuel injector cleaner, again on the advice of the mechanic, but it didn't resolve the issue.
It revs fine when in neutral, with the throttle wide open.
It's when we reduce it, and/or put it in drive that the revs go up and down, and it fights. Finally, it just coughs and stalls.
The mechanic has suggested we have bad fuel, and perhaps we should drain the tank, which is at about 3/4's full.
That is less than appealing, and I'm hoping you can offer some ideas or suggestions so that this extraction would be the last ditch effort.
Right now, we are reluctant to move it from the dock, so needless to say, it's causing us trauma....
HELP!!
Thanks,
Kim:confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
The mechanic suggested that if the fuel pump was the culprit, that it wouldn't supply the fuel properly whether it was in a low rev or a high rev situation.
We're going to look at the air filter, yes.
Our neighbor in the marina mentioned the filtering solution, too.
I wonder what goes for...cha-ching?

#5 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion...we've added fuel injector cleaner, and checked the filters.
No improvement.
Mechanic has visited again, not found the core problem, and is still guessing at bad gas.
All I know, is that this is giving ME bad gas....

Obtaining a 2nd opinion, hopefully, today.
Trying to avoid the expense and downtime of fuel polishing, plus, we haven't found anyone that can perform this service in the Burlington, Ont. area.

I read the specs on the Seafoam, and it sounds very interesting.
Have forwarded your message over to my hubby, too.

We are dock bound til this is resolved, because I don't have confidence in the engine performance, especially for when we are going out and coming back in from the dock!

:(

#6 ·
Try the seafoam at 100%. All you have to do is empty the fuel filter of diesel and fill it w/ seafoam. Reinstall the filter, fire it up for a minute, shut it down for 15 mins. and then fire it up again. My 2003t had the same problem and seafoam cleared it up. Easy fix if dirty injectors is the problem.
Jim

#8 ·
So, an update for you all...
We continued to have issues, and the mechanic came back.
This time, it would not start for him, and then stalled shortly afterwards.
He re-bled the system, and thought that perhaps he had not done so
adequately when he serviced.
It was running fine.
We continued to test it over the next few days, and had no issues.
So, we set out on our first overnight sail, our destination some 3 to 4 hours away by sail with good wind.
All was well until we decided to start the kicker to help avoid a sudden cloudburst when....it started, labored and stalled again.
It did this continually til we reached destination, and we were able to get it into the dock.
On the way home, 9 miles out from our departure point, it just died.
We limped home in 18 knot gusters, and 2 meter swells = about 6 ft.
I helmed back, and was having a ball!!!!!
Sorry, lost track there....
That being said, we had to get a tow into the marina, and waited all day the next day for another mechanic to no-show/no-call. Our lovely slip mate and bordering neighbors got down there and tore the engine open.
Looks like the fuel line and possibly the pump are the culprits, allowing air.
We tested with the engine disconnected from the fuel line, and a jerry can of diesel being sucked straight in. Purred like the proverbial kitten.
We are ordering new parts from the pump back to the tank, and will hopefully have some resolution to the issue.
Will let you know.
Thanks for all of your suggestions!!

#10 · (Edited)
The parts arrived today!!

Special thanks go out to Rodger Stickland at Marine Parts Express in Maine for tweaking my order, and getting it to me within a week, (considering it was shipping from U.S. to Canada and had to clear Customs...)

Look for: marinepartsexpress.com
Excellent customer service, and great prices, you have to check them out.
We'll use them again for sure.

We'll look at the install over the weekend and I'll keep you apprised of the sitch.

Cheers,
K.

#13 ·
We have a 2002 Four Winns 268 with a 5.7 carb Volvo Penta. We had the same type of issue. The mechanic said we had a corroded distributor cap, and wires, so he did a tune-up. Worked for a day and started doing the same thing. He then said it was water in the gas. He drained 60 gallons and filled the tank. It worked for a day. Finally I took it to another dealer and two of his mechanics took her for a sea trial. It turns out it was a loose wire on the high pressure side of the fuel pump. He repaired it and, $1500 in total, she has been running fine ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.