SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   CS Yachts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cs-yachts/)
-   -   CS30 Keel Corrosion (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cs-yachts/99448-cs30-keel-corrosion.html)

StephenP 05-13-2013 04:22 AM

CS30 Keel Corrosion

Hello Sailnetters!

I'm fairly new to boat ownership and have joined a co-op (10 owners) who are looking at buying a 1987 CS30
Harbour Yacht Sales Ltd.

I've looked at as much as I can online. We had a rigger look at the rig today, and he noticed some pock-marking on the keel (it was on the hard) and thought it was a cast-iron (steel) keel with some corrosion.

From everything I've read, CS used a lead keel. Has anyone heard of such corrosion? The prop and shaft also display similar pockmarked corrosion and the surveyor has mentioned it needs to be replaced. We are just trying to figure out if there is some galvanic soup happening somehow. Keelbolts have some surface rust, but nothing concerning in the surveyor's eyes.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Cheers!
Stephen

StephenP 05-13-2013 08:38 PM

Re: CS30 Keel Corrosion

One quick follow up - the surveyor mentioned the prop and shaft need replacement - not the keel (mentioned no concerns about the keel). They had thrown the zincs and it had not been hauled in 3 years, so that would likely explain the corrosion.

jimrafford 05-17-2013 07:37 AM

I find it hard to believe the surveyor didn't recommend inspecting the keel bolts. Probably would be a good idea to drop the keel and inspect them.
Jim

StephenP 05-17-2013 10:47 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Found this article that seems to explain it:
Practical Sailor - Keels: Minor Maintenance and Repair - Tips Article

Possibly an interaction between a high copper bottom paint and the lead.

The keelbolts passed inspection, but I'll follow up with the surveyor.

Thanks!

SP

Faster 05-17-2013 11:44 AM

Unfortunately visual keel bolt inspections are not particularly valid.. the 'bad' stuff happens out of sight.

I too don't believe CS used iron keels. A lead keel should not exhibit 'corrosion', some fairing may be chipped or damaged. If the boat was afloat without zincs you certainly could have serious issues with the shaft and prop - these will be somewhat pricey items.

I know this boat, it's owners are getting on and have suffered ill health recently. Some maintenance may have been neglected in that time.

StephenP 05-17-2013 11:59 AM

Thanks Faster,

You are correct - shaft and prop need replacement. Asking price was too high so it came down in pre-survey negotiations. Has come down some more post.

Needs its midlife refit, but generally sound, apparently and the surveyor and mech and rigger all said it was worth purchasing, issues notwithstanding.

Cheers!

Stephen