SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ct 48

16K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SaltWind 
#1 ·
I like my CT 48.

I have changed the original helm location from the stern to a bit further forward. The reason had to do with lonesomeness more than anything.

There was only one decent place to sit so you were always alone...also with the offset (now centered) companion way so far forward, you were almost completely isolated when on the helm. Plus the backstay always hit me in the head.
It’s much better now.

She is a heavy boat with a full keel and lots of freeboard. Since my new stomping ground is the Med. (stern too) I've added a bow thruster.

I've also added davits and black and grey water tanks.
I love the massive bilge...gives me loads of room for extra tanks and such.

I had to remove the water tanks and have replaced them with glassed-in ones.

I've re-powered with a J444 from Mermaid in England its a little bigger (85hp) and just barely fit...I had to make new stringers to mount it.

Before bringing the boat from the states I replaced the original wooden rig with Aluminum and all standing rigging.

Lots more to mention, but my hunt and peck typing style has a limit.

I would love to talk to other ct owners and compare notes, and others doing refits.

See less See more
#5 ·
She’s no light wind boat...but with 20kts on the beam she goes like a freight train.
She is a heavy weather boat.
I'm not that familiar with the CT47 but I believe they are very different boats,
Mine is 39,000 lbs full keel and canoe stern.

#7 ·
Life... Kaluvic has not been active here since 2010 and is unlikely to see your question.

Bob Perry, the designer, however, does stop by now and then and could definitely answer your question. I expect the ballast is encapsulated in the hull molding, however it's possible that they used a bolt-on 'shoe' or section of the keel itself. However this is unlikely to be the full chord length of the keel and therefore probably won't reduce the overall height of the tow. You'll need to build up your post count but after 10 or so you might try sending a PM to Mr Perry.

.. or maybe just sail it around..

#8 ·
Both the CT 48 and the 47 are not my designs. The 48 is a boat I did some mods on to help with helm balance early on. The 47 is a Kauffman design and a very different boat. It's kind of like a Swan wannabe.

Faster is correct: No, you cannot unbolt the keel. The keel is integral with the hull.

#10 · (Edited)
Faster:
No, you are totally correct, if in fact that is the boat in question. I had the wrong CT48. I was thinking of the double ended 48.
I would need to see a pic from the OP to be certain which model he is talking about.

The boat you posted is my design. That is a very rare model. The US distributor for CT and the European distributor for CT fought over who would control the CT48 project. The European distributor was in a position of power due to his successful sales of CT65's aka Scorpio 72's. When CT Chen gave control of the CT48 project to the European guy the US distributor swore that he would never import that model to the US. They only built a handful. I have never seen one in person. It was the last boat I did with the Ta Chaio yard.

#12 ·
Thanks 3:
That IS NOT my design. That is not even the 48 after I modified the rig to improve helm balance. I have only a vague recollection that the 48 in the pic was designed by Bruce Bingham before the world figured out he was not really a yacht designer. The yachtdata sight say the design is by "Dan Streach", something like that. I do remember that name from early Taiwan times but I am very certain he was never a designer.

#13 ·
Looks pretty similar to a non-C&C Landfall 39. Maybe they share a lineage.

#14 ·
Hi Kaluvic,

We are presently considering purchasing a CT48. I was interested to hear you put in a Bow Thruster.
Is it possible to do something like that yourself & if not can you give us an idea of what the costs would be?

Another question have the teak decks been a problem?

Thanks, Debbie & Carl

#16 ·
I'd like to add a postnoet to this. Mr. Perry, Bruce Bingham has verified he had nothing to do with the "other" CT48 people are talking about.

Dan Streech is the CEO of Nordhavn, and he took over Ta Shing yacht yard some time ago (his company did in some sense anyway). But this vessel was indeed built at Ta Chiao, verified by plate and documentation on the vessel I looked at:

Vessel was built at Pali Shiang Taepei Hsien Taiwan by Ta Chiao Bros. Yacht Building Col, LTD for Robert T. Crozier
as appears by CERTIFICATE OF CHEN CHIAO TEAM, MASTER CARPENTER.

So.. the designer is still a mystery, but it certainly looks like a colin archer inspired design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.