SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

CT 47 center cockpit, tall main mast, need line drawings

17K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  SeaDragon 
#1 ·
I cant seem to find the exact line drawings for what i bought. (your condemnations gratefully filed and discarded for me not knowing what i was buying)

I have a CT47 center cockpit ketch cutter. the main mast was taller than that one the CT 47 sloop that i was next to for a day in Port Aransas. the mizzen mast is quite short, and about center on the aft house. the thing sails like neither a ketch or a yawl, the mizzen just adds 1/2 a knot, and does not affect trim much. the deck is foam cored, the vessel goes like heck, even overpowered at times in SoCal, with 12K in ballast out of maybe 26k displacement. Downwind she might freaking fly, new spinnaker ready for the Ensenada race..

can anyone help me find the correct line drawings? This is a kaufmann and ladd design, 46 foot 11 inches of fiberglass, Sheel keel on what appears to be a C&C hull blank - she sports the C&C sheerline markers...

#2 ·
Presume you've seen this?

CT-47 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

Not the ketch version.. can't find a drawing of that one, but is the hull the same?

Interesting that she would sport the C&C sheer line - are they painted on or molded into the hull?? I've never seen those on a non-C&C designed boat. I can't find a listing of a C&C design like that either.

#3 ·
dbramer,

You're in luck.

I own a 1987 Kaufman & Ladd -designed CT-49 (Mikado III, presently berthing on Lake Champlain, NY) and I have a copy of the CT-47's original line drawings. As far as I can tell, the CT-49 is just the CT-47 with a traditional transom, thus the 2 feet extra at the stern.

I'm presently at work in West Africa but I'll upload a scan of the drawings when I get back home in a couple of weeks.

Francis Clouston
Mikado III
Ta Chiao CT-49 Ketch

#5 ·
dbraymer,

I finally scanned those line drawings you asked for. I've uploaded them in the photo gallery along a nice shot of Mikado III lying at anchor on Lake Champlain.

Sorry if they are not scantlings (if that's what you were looking for). I don't have those.

I know it's been nearly a year since our last exchange but, hey, I'm a geologist and I'm used to think in terms of eons ;)

Francis

#11 ·
Rob is still around. I ran into him last year at the Chesapeake Sailing Yacht Symposium and at the grocery store last fall. He had some serious health challenges but seemed to be on the mend.

Jeff

#13 ·
We have been sailing our CT 47 center cockpit cutter for 2 years without going back to a marina. Cruising southern California and Catalina island. Oir friends have a Formosa 47 and they have the comfort at anchorage and we have the comfort of getting to anchorage before they do. It is all a give and take. Some are fast and some are spacious. Light air is also known as motorsailing in honest groups for heavy boats. When the wind starts making whitecaps, we shut the motor down and hold on with all we got. I have blue print signed by the carpenter amd they look so impressive. We got new standing riggging last year and our new sails is getting shipped. That is when we realized that the blue prints is only worth sentiment. Our mast is 5' taller 2' further aft. If you want a copy i can sell you mine or just email you a copy. They are not as accurate as we would lime them to be. For a fast cruiser, they got that spot on. Rated at 9 knt, we cruise at 6-7 with great ease and when there is enough wind we slide at speeds that i wont believe if someone else told me they were going this fast. Yes, we love our old boat. She gets real wet pointing to weather. A little puff makes you scream like a kid and in ruff seas we look like a submarine with a stick. We dont like to hang side ways or walk on the ceiling so we tend to sail with the staysail and main only and when it gets realy tuff, we drop the main. We've had several instances where we got in 20 knots of wind with the main up and it was scary. Now I prefer reefing before i start sailing. The quality was good enough to keep rich people happy in the 80's. We still have cosmetic projects outstanding to bring her back to life. Nevertheless, 38 years later and she is still solid and fast with a deepfreezer and 800 mile range. We anchor in 40 to 200 feet of water. These are real cruising boats. It can be a marina boat or a full bluewater cruiser. It is up to the owners to untie the docklines and experience their dreams at their own pace. I have not sailed past new boats, they have a different power to weight to longevity ratio. As a cruiseing boat, it is perfect for us. We still get happy everytime we see our boat from shore or from a friends boat. It is not what boat is better or faster or prettier. First get out and use your boat, then once you know what you dont know, you can go back and practice it some more. They day you know everything, it is time to admit that docklines are the worst thing to happen to any boat. We motor, we sail, we hang on the hook, we even go to boatyards. If blueprints are what you want for a reference to water or wiring, my prints might help. For accurate measurement you would need a tape measure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.