first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC

I am with Jeff and take some time to shake the boat down the first few days where you can get to a marinia should you find something wrong. Also make sure you get BoatUS unlimited Towing.

As James said having someone who has sailed and knows the southern Bay would be helpful and also increase your safety margin.

How far down the intercoastal do you have to go? How many bridges?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

3 days down the Chesapeake to Norfolk/Portsmouth.
2 days down to the Pamlico
3 or likely 4 days to Washington NC

These times expect 5 knots minimum.
Use an ap on your smartphone for current flows called "currents".
Search around for bridge opening schedules in Norfolk, there are strict limits and rush hour closures.

No allowance for surprises like engine trouble, bad weather, fouled crab traps.
Old 06-21-2013

timtim is on a distinguished road

This is very helpful, looks to be more like a 7 day trip if I added right, that being if all goes with good weather and no repairs needed on the way .
Old 06-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about

more like 8 to 9 by my counts
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-22-2013

OK, I'm going to look into more planning. I have a lot to learn about sailboats.
Old 06-22-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Is your goal to simply get to Washington, or to enjoy yourself along the way? Do either of you have any experience in anchoring? Do either of you have any experience get on and off a dock? Have either of you gone through a lock before? Do you have a time frame?

If all you're interested in is getting there, aren't planning on going ashore, and aren't worried about how much you sail vs motor, then it's going to take a minimum (best case) 6 days. Plan on 9. A handheld VHF is easier for hailing bridges and locks.

Annapolis to Solomons
Solomons to Deltaville (I anchor in Fishing Bay)
Deltaville to Norfolk - refuel (you should take along at least a 5 gal jug of fuel)
Norfolk to Coinjock (one lock) or Norfolk to Elizabeth City (two locks)
From either to Marker 49 at the end of the wide part of the Alligator River (pay close attention to the channel markers on entering the Alligator from the Sound)
Alligator to Washington. (Pay close attention to the channel markers from 49 until you're in the canal, particularly once you turn to port)

Do buy an unlimited tow package. One call will pay for a few years worth. And with an unknown boat, it's just commonsense.

Other than the Alligator, you have a choice of dock or anchor.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-22-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Follow the advice above. Get rid of your calendar. Trying to stay on a strict schedule is a bad idea. If you absolutely must be in NC by a specific date hire a delivery captain to deliver it for you and learn to sail in your home waters when you have the time to make mistakes and take it slow.
Old 06-22-2013

Main goal is to get back to Wash NC.

I'm new to sailing, but not to boating
He sails, but not Chesapeake.

I have expr with power boats
I'm good with docking, would be first time with sailboat

I have no expr with locks, but he does.

6 days plan on 9
I have VHF handheld

actual start is Stevensville MD, lower east side
what is the best we could hope for with a sunrise departure on first day distance wise?

Would Dismal swamp be less traffic and faster?
I'll have a total of three 6 gal portable plastic gas tanks.
outboard is a 9.9 merc four stroke

I have the BoatsUS tow package on all my boats and insurance coverage

I do thank all of you for all your input.
The info will help greatly

Tim
Old 06-22-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Context: I'm a delivery skipper.

Assumption: engine and other systems are in good shape and nothing major breaks.

I think you're looking at six days if you treat this as a delivery. Maybe 5. I'm pretty sure I could do it in 5. The usual time for most cruisers would be more like 8 or 9. It's all about preparation and attitude.

Give real thought to provisioning. You want breakfast that you can eat underway (one person can be on watch while the other cooks). Lunch underway. Late dinner after anchor down and prep meals for the next day. You're going to want snacks - make them easily accessible. I keep a big snack bag under the companionway.

Stopping for fuel is a time killer. Take as many jugs as you can manage and make topping up the tanks part of your evening routine. This is a good time of year - early sunrise and late sunset, so lots of light.

Leave Stevensville as soon as you can. Head down the Bay and run straight through to Norfolk, 4 on 4 off with two aboard and 4 on 8 off with three aboard. This will likely take 24 to 28 hours on your boat. Sail as much as you can. Keep boat speed up. When you hit Norfolk there is a marina near Hospital Point - it's right on the river and fast for topping up fuel.

Most of the ICW isn't appropriate for non-professionals to run at night. There are sections you can run (like the Alligator-Pungo canal). Stretch your days as much as possible.

Be conservative - nothing kills a schedule like running aground and waiting for TowBoat/US to show up.

Plan on anchoring so you can stretch the days as much as possible.

Let me know if I can help.
jameswilson29 likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 06-22-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't plan on more than 50 miles per 12 hrs. You may do more, but it's better to under than over estimate.

If during the week, traffic shouldn't be a concern on either route. It's been my experience that powerboats prefer the Virginia Cut and sailboats the Dismal Swamp. They are both about the same amount of transit time in a sailboat.

While it's nice knowing where you're going from experience, that's what charts are for, just like maps on the highway. Be aware, each morning, of alternate stops short of your day's goal, in cause of weather or mechanical problems. And don't set your day's goal in stone.

I don't know how far you can go on a tank of gas for your Merc. If nothing else, bring an empty 5 gal can that you can use if necessary. South from Norfolk will be all motoring, as will the Alligator and through the canal. (If you're under 45' mast height, you can go west side of Roanoke Island if you know a place to anchor or dock around Swan Quarter, instead of the Alligator.)

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog