first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013

timtim is on a distinguished road
first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC

I'm going to pick up my S2 8.0A near Annapolis and bring her home to Washington NC. Taking a friend that sails with me. He has not sailed the Chesapeake bay south to Washington before and this will be my first time sailing.

I could use some pointers. Amount of time it will take, Best places to stop at on the way for food stops, gas, supplies, a shower and a little sleep. Good beer stops also! I do not drink and drive (Sail).

I'm making a list of the must have safety items.

Look forward to your feekback.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: first Sailboat and first sail from Annapolis to Washington NC

Check out ActiveCaptain.com. Assume 5 MPH average or about 50 miles a day. If at all possible, time the trip so you're moving WITH any tidal current (I think the Potomac is still tidal even up through Dumfries, etc.). Active Captain will also have reviews of different anchorages and marinas along your path.

There was a thread here not that long ago (2-3 months?) where someone was doing a similar trip. I think they were headed from the Solomons area to Occoquan or Woodbridge (which are both unusual enough that you should be able to find it quickly). That thread had some very good information in it.

The S2's are nice boats. I've seen a few with issues, but in general they were well made. Goog luck with yours, and with the trip!

BTW, if you haven't figured this out yet, we NEED pictures!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-21-2013

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the new boat, and have fun on the trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 06-21-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the purchase. Second the recommendation to look at stops on ActiveCaptain. If you have the time, I'd linger in the Chesapeake some. Some great places to stop on the way down to the ICW.

Enjoy the trip!
Old 06-21-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Our favorite ports for this route are: Solomons- anchor on the north side of Zanhisers near the Maritime Museum with dinghy access at the Holiday Inn; Tangier Island- with a cheap dock at Milton Park's marina and his tour of the island; Deltaville - on the south side (Jackson Creek) and anchored off the Deltaville Marina; Portsmouth- tied to the dock at the ferry landing at the end of High Street with the evening meal at the Colonial Theater up the street (if the current is unfavorable up the Elizabeth River anchor at Fort Monroe just west of the former army marina); Dismal Swamp route with free stops at Elizabeth's Dock, La Familia Mexican Restaurant, just south of the bridge at deep creek (grocery store), the NC/Va welcome center dock; Elizabeth City- free town dock (unless SE winds are unfavorable); Anchor ca Bear Point just beyond the Alligator River; Dowrey Creek Marina, Mary offers a cuortesy car for groceries & lunch in Belhaven (or many good anchorage spots down the Pungo and up the Pamlico to Little Washington. Have a great trip!

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 06-21-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Aha! I found the thread:
Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA

Aha! Now I see my problem, too. I thought you meant Washington DC, not NC. Sorry!
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-21-2013

Thank you for all the feedback. I'm planning on flying up on the 27th and start out early morning of the 28th. I need to reach Little Washington by the 3rd of July. Is this a do able time span? Is it best to come down the Dismal swamp or the ICW?
Old 06-21-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Given that you have never sailed before and your friend has never been in the southern Bay, you really should find some experienced help, either a delivery captain or someone familiar with this route.

Put a Crew Wanted ad up in the subforum on Sailnet...you should be able to find some one experienced to help you out.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 06-21-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2013

jameswilson29
Thanks for your suggestion,
Old 06-21-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

5 knots is a very fast average for that boat, especially if they are sailing. I would think that even 4 knots is a pretty fast average for a boat like the S2 30. Given a typical day's 10-12 hour run, I would think that it would be hard to coordinate with the tide cycles if you are going to come close to keeping your schdeule since you could experience at least two tide cycles on each days time underway.

You may need to allow time for an engine oil change, and given your tight schedule you should plan also carry enough fuel for the length of the Bay to avoid putting in for fuel. If you don't do that you will need to add precious time to go further up Rivers to places with fuel docks.

If I had to make that trip from Annapolis I would probably do something like this:

First day,
-If I had a late start I would head down to Galesville on the West River. Its only 14 miles and it gives you a chance for a shake down the boat and end up at a town with a good set of marine services.

-If I had a very early start, I would try to make it to Hudson Creek on the Little Choptank, and anchor. (no facilities) (This would be my second day stop if I got a late start on the first day)

Next day:
I would try to make it to Reedville or Mill Creek off of the Great Wicomico River and anchor as well.

Next day:
You should be able to make it to Mile One of the intercoastal.

I'm planning on flying up on the 27th and start out early morning of the 28th. I need to reach Little Washington by the 3rd of July. Is this a do able time span? Is it best to come down the Dismal swamp or the ICW?
That seems like a nearly impossible time frame, especially if you plan to sail at all.

Jeff
chef2sail likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.