Boats for Antarctica - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-09-2015 Thread Starter

Boats for Antarctica

Hi everyone, recently I have been wondering about the requirements for a boat sailing in Antarctica. It looks like most of the boats down there are built with aluminium or steel. I was surprised to see that a lot of of them relatively exposed helm stations, and was even more surprised to see that some even had spade rudders. I assumed boats sailing in Antarctica would have a skeg hung rudder to protect against submerged ice. I have gathered that it is possible for grp/wooden boats to sail around there, provided the skipper is experienced and the boat is properly equipped. So, my question is, considering the boats that sail down there, would it be crazy for someone to bring a modern fin keel, spade rudder grp boat down to Antarctica? A good example of the type of boat I am talking about is the RM 1360 (although it's built with plywood and epoxied over, and I would post a picture but it says I have to post at least 10 times before I can)
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-09-2015

Re: Boats for Antarctica

Its designed as a fast ocean going yacht.
It looks fine to take south. Just dont hit an iceberg, or go in winter

The beam is 15 feet!!! 4.5 meters!

RM1360 - RM Yachts

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 02-09-2015 at 11:47 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonTBC View Post
Hi everyone, recently I have been wondering about the requirements for a boat sailing in Antarctica. It looks like most of the boats down there are built with aluminium or steel. I was surprised to see that a lot of of them relatively exposed helm stations, and was even more surprised to see that some even had spade rudders. I assumed boats sailing in Antarctica would have a skeg hung rudder to protect against submerged ice. I have gathered that it is possible for grp/wooden boats to sail around there, provided the skipper is experienced and the boat is properly equipped. So, my question is, considering the boats that sail down there, would it be crazy for someone to bring a modern fin keel, spade rudder grp boat down to Antarctica? A good example of the type of boat I am talking about is the RM 1360 (although it's built with plywood and epoxied over, and I would post a picture but it says I have to post at least 10 times before I can)
Thanks in advance for any answers.
That's a cool-looking boat, but it sure wouldn't be my first choice for venturing into that part of the world...

Sailing down there, one thing that's safe to assume is that you might have to spend some time heaving-to, or lying to a series drogue... That boat does not appear to be very well suited to doing either, especially the latter... ;-)

Needless to say, those underwater appendages don't look particularly well suited to high-latitude voyaging, in one of the most remote regions on Earth...

post #4 of 13 Old 02-10-2015 Thread Starter

MarkofSeaLife-
Thanks for replying, what would you say about the hull material? I've never seen a production boat built like that and it's pretty hard to find information about.

JonEisberg-
Thanks for replying, I can see what you're saying about heaving to and using a drogue, and sorry if this is a stupid question but whats wrong with the keels? I can see the problem with the rudder, but how are the keels not fit for that type of sailing? Do you think if the rudder was removed and replaced with a transom hung one that swings up when it hits something it would be more appropriate? To me, the hull design seems okay, considering the amount of modern racers that sail in the southern ocean with relatively similar designs.

Two conflicting answers is not what I was expecting, but it gives me more to think about.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-10-2015
Land lubber

post #6 of 13 Old 02-10-2015

Skip Novaks boat is down there as a charter business. Not a one off trip but a business that runs all summer.

Skips boat is overkill for what the OP wants.

The Antartic Peninsula is not that hard usung modern sat weather, right time of year etc.

If the OP buys a brand new boat designed for ocean passages he will be in the right boat for this adventure... And thats the boat he is looking at.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #7 of 13 Old 02-10-2015

I think you'd be torturing yourself in that open cockpit.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonTBC View Post

JonEisberg-
Thanks for replying, I can see what you're saying about heaving to and using a drogue, and sorry if this is a stupid question but whats wrong with the keels? I can see the problem with the rudder, but how are the keels not fit for that type of sailing? Do you think if the rudder was removed and replaced with a transom hung one that swings up when it hits something it would be more appropriate? To me, the hull design seems okay, considering the amount of modern racers that sail in the southern ocean with relatively similar designs.
Well, racing in the Southern Ocean, and cruising Antarctica, can be 2 quite different things...

In a region as poorly charted as down there, one is often compelled to seek protection in anchorages shallow enough to keep heavy ice out. I wouldn't want a boat with such high aspect keel(s), in the event of a grounding while trying to 'feel' your way around... It seems to me extremely rare, cruisers venturing into remote high latitude regions, on boats with high aspect foils...

If I was ever gonna venture down there, I'd prefer a boat that could take the ground easily and comfortably, something along the lines of Jimmy Cornell's former Alubat...

post #9 of 13 Old 02-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Skips boat is overkill for what the OP wants.

The Antartic Peninsula is not that hard usung modern sat weather, right time of year etc.
Yeah, sure... hell, it's a veritable Milk Run down there... ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If the OP buys a brand new boat designed for ocean passages he will be in the right boat for this adventure... And thats the boat he is looking at.
Well, I hope he at least adds a handrail to the forward half of that sexy coachroof, it could come in handy... ;-)

jrd22 likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-10-2015 at 11:38 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-10-2015

Could be wise to read about the regulations for sailing in the Antarctic ATS - Secretariat of the Antarctic Treaty

Direct link to "Yachting guidelines for Antarctic cruises" here http://www.ats.aq/documents/ATCM37/w...37_ww007_e.pdf

If you don't follow the regulations there are heavy fines and risk of being ordered out in storm conditions.
OldEagle likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to knuterikt For This Useful Post:
OldEagle (02-11-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.