Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009

sytimeout is on a distinguished road
experience in med

hello,

we sailed last year from canet plage to Sardegna via menorca between 20 july and 27 august .

We found Menorca quite pleasant but somehow crowded .
Port of Mahon you need to see for anchoring or one of the free berths, port is in high season absolutely packed and free places can go as high as 90 E per night on the quay, with elec and water but without anything else .

We sailed over to oristano, moored behind the ruins of Tharros (Roman era) and had a fabulous period there .
Around the southern part of Sardegna there are several anchorage places where you can shelter . we had abt every 5 - 7 days a blow frm the NW , ex mistral , which could be up to 15 - 20 m/s .
Southern Sardegna was a pleasure and a relief of the overcrowded area like menorca and spain. Sardegna gave me the feel back when as a kid we went for the first time to spain in 1965 relax not organised and friendly.

. We usually went every 3 - 5 days into a marina only .
We left the boat in Villaputzu porto corallo . We used this as an alternative for Malta and Tunis, based on lack of space for the winter and cost .

hope this of help to you .

Rgds
patrick sytimeout Nauticat 32
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2009

snowsea is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to snowsea
Hi,
don't forget you about Italy and don't think it is good for terrestrian travelling!
I live near Venice and I know all Mediterranean Sea. Spend your time everywhere in a long trip! From Turkey to Spain and from Aegypt to France, but always you will have Italy in the middle of your route.
If you need something ......I'm here
Buon vento
Mario
Old 07-08-2009
Just a member

Avapxia is on a distinguished road
I think only Greeks would vote for Italy, as it seems more exciting to them than home! The meltemi (northerly winds) affects more the Aegean and not the Ionian. The water also stays warmer later in the Ionian, mid summer destinations are less crowded there, and between Corfu (Kerkyra) and Zakynthos (Zante) there are easy day trips from one place to the other. There is more moisture on that side of Greece, unlike the Aegean that you feel like you are in the middle of the Sahara and have an illusion of water around you. The mainland of Epirus is very interesting as well, full of little natural anchorages. Don;t miss Sivota, Parga, (Alonaki/Ormos Odyssea****), Preveza, the whole Amvrakikos gulf (most important wetland bird habitat in Europe protected by several treaties), Paleros (East of Lefkas), Mitikas, Astakos, Kastos, (this last strip between little islands and mainland will blow your mind and it is safe sailing for even 1st timers. The island destinations are well documented on the net, I emphasized the areas less advertised due to the lack of commercial activity (a good thing for most sailors .
Old 07-08-2009

snowsea is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to snowsea
Hi Ditch
Sorry, I had read this only now!
and I cannot reply in PM.
Are you interested, yet?
May be I shall be useful for informations about Adriatic Sea and about aegean islands.
First of all, where are you living now and where is living your family?
About insurance: do you mean civil responsability for the boat?
But, which boat?
Usally it il more expensive then abroad.
By
Mario
Old 08-24-2009

davidslyons is on a distinguished road
I will be visiting Venice Italy in October for a week and I wonder if anyone knows of a location near there to rent/charter a day sailor?
Old 10-16-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
I spent last summer in Italy, and the place is really magical. Isle of Capri, Amalfi Coast... the whole shot is breathtaking. So neat I would probably go back there before seeing places I have not been. And heck, you can stop and see Corsica.... who doesnt like the set of an old school james bond flick?

good luck, safe travels
Old 10-20-2009

bareboatingtheworld is on a distinguished road
Sardinia or Ionians for me

You can't miss with either option. To make things more complex, you might also want to add Croatia into the mix. For any of these locations, stay away from 2nd half of July 'til end of August just too crowded, June to early July and September would be ideal. .

In Greece, I loved sailing in the Ionian islands in the Adriatic since it's a combination of Italy and Greece, but, leave from Levkas rather than Corfu and focus on the southern island group with a trip north depending on time available. But, my favorite place is Croatia from Split to Dubrovnik - combo of greece and italy with more medievil history. All have great food for provisions or eating out. Wind is probably strongest in Greece in summer months, sometimes too strong, particularly, in the Cyclides.

My site on wordpress offers a lot of information from my experiences in these areas including photo galleries, commented maps, logs, and also some insight articles about each area. You'll find info on Southern Sardinia, Ionian and Sporades in Greece, and Croatia, if interested.

Whatever you choose you can't miss.

Enjoy
Gaetano
Bareboating the World