SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Destinations (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/destinations/)
-   -   Croatia is The Place (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/destinations/68555-croatia-place.html)

genoa 09-25-2010 06:13 AM

Croatia is The Place

I wrote a post and it vanished :mad:

anyway, croatia is the place to come to specially in may, june and september when there's no more crowd... a looooot to see - beautiful coast 1244 islands and rocks, numerous bays and coves... cultural and historical heritage - can't describe!... personal favorites Dubrovnik (overpriced, but you have to afford it), Trogir (small, packed, and astonishing) and Kornati's islands (beyond words)...
marinas are expensive (value for money questionable) but you can find exceptions; anchoring is quite a good option...
swimming, snorkeling and diving like nowhere I've been to...
winds can trick you in a sec,so be very careful especially in Velebt channel where gusts of Bora (NE wind) can make quite a show...

PCP 09-25-2010 06:48 AM

Yes I agree with you...but on the best anchorages you can not stay on anchor. You have to pick a buoy and even if they take your garbage away, you have to pay and a lot, for a buoy (20 to 27 euros for a 12m boat).

As you say, Marinas are expensive and the water (this summer in August, for 15 days) was cold, I mean, between 17 and 19. Sure, you can find a nice of very interesting historic towns and little nice villages on the Islands but we have missed the turquoise waters and the sea temperature from the Balearic Islands, Sardinia and Corsica. on Croatia, even if the waters are clean they never get that color and on the other places I have mentioned I have always got sea water between 20 and 27.

Regarding the Kornati Islands I don't agree with you (neither the guy that had charted the boat to me). They are without any vegetation, full of boats and they are not a match to the beauty of the Southern Islands, that are covered with deep green forests and Mediterranean flora.

Regarding the winds, that was perfect: No night wind (with one or two exceptions), weak wind on the morning and moderate wind the rest of the day.

Regards

Paulo

genoa 09-25-2010 07:14 AM

yes, I've heard about this July/ August and the weather... I've had perfect weather in May and June; air temp 27 - 35; sea temp. round 25. right now strong southern wind is keeping us in a marina in Mid Adriatic :(
Kornatis are special because they are different... i loved it there...
generally i like coratia because it's totally different from the destinations with tame landscape..

maxivalt 03-18-2011 06:46 AM

croatia sea temperature

In which part of adriatic sea water temperature was beetween 17 and 19 in august? :confused:
Here are average temperatures of adriatic sea:

http://jadran.gfz.hr/klima_slike/temperatura4.gif

best regards

PCP 03-18-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxivalt (Post 710229)
In which part of adriatic sea water temperature was beetween 17 and 19 in august? :confused:
Here are average temperatures of adriatic sea:

http://jadran.gfz.hr/klima_slike/temperatura4.gif

best regards

Thanks for that temperature chart. I am going to leave my boat in Croatia and have it as my sailing base for the season and that is useful. The only problem is that I am not the only one that finds that Croatia is a great place to sail, to live for some months and as base to explore the central med.:o There are lots of marinas but the berths are expensive and most of them are already full anyway.:eek:

Regards

Paulo

maxivalt 03-19-2011 06:20 PM

Croacia

I think that price of berths in Croatia is the same expensive like in rest of other mediteranen ports. Also...like elsewhere..in Croatia you can find more expensive ports and more economical ports.
Prices of Murter Hramina Port (near Kornati):

http://www.sobrecroacia.com/Images/puerto_croacia.jpg

I don't think that berths in Sardinia o Corsica are much cheaper:rolleyes:

Slayer 03-19-2011 09:24 PM

I don't necessarily believe everything I read, so I am not throwing this out as a fact, but only something I read. There is an article in the March issue of Crusising World, in an article written by Cap'n Fatty Goodlander, he writes about the advantages of cruisers wintering in Turkey.

In the article he writes: "Croatia's skyrocketing costs and growing corruption make it far less yacht friendly." I don't know this to be true or not, but would be interested in other's comments.

PCP 03-20-2011 07:12 AM

I don't know about corruption but Croatia is probably the country that has more charter boats for m2:) . This is one of the reasons that makes marinas expensive: Charter companies will pay almost anything to have a place. Contrary to Spain or Italy there are very few boats with Croatian flag that are not charter boats. I have been told that many Croatian have been forced to sell their own boats because they cannot afford the huge raise in price marinas.

Croatia is a lovely country but this kind of situation is creating some unbalances and as mostly sailors are charters I guess population looks at them and treats them as mass tourists, which they are:D

Regards

Paulo

maxivalt 03-21-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer (Post 710712)
I don't necessarily believe everything I read, so I am not throwing this out as a fact, but only something I read. There is an article in the March issue of Crusising World, in an article written by Cap'n Fatty Goodlander, he writes about the advantages of cruisers wintering in Turkey.

In the article he writes: "Croatia's skyrocketing costs and growing corruption make it far less yacht friendly." I don't know this to be true or not, but would be interested in other's comments.

If Cap'n Fatty sailing only where is no coruption....I'm wonder where he sailing?:rolleyes:
Also...I would like to know where he was found information about "growing coruption" in Croatia:confused:
Google
Anyway...how coruption can affect some stranger who sailing on his boat miles away from coast?

PCP 03-21-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxivalt (Post 711109)
If Cap'n Fatty sailing only where is no coruption....I'm wonder where he sailing?:rolleyes:
Also...I would like to know where he was found information about "growing coruption" in Croatia:confused:
Google
Anyway...how coruption can affect some stranger who sailing on his boat miles away from coast?

Well, I did not knew that:(

The country is ranking 70 and that is pretty bad:
Corruption by country. Definition, graph and map.

On this site you have some Croats explaining it:

Visit Croatia - Politicians

maxivalt are you a Croate?

I wonder about the number of negative answers I got from dozens of marinas about an annual contract has something to do with it? I mean prices are fixed but If I pay higher will I have a place? I noticed that they are very slow to give answers and the answers are not always very clear...Humm!!:rolleyes: