Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010

genoa is on a distinguished road
Croatia is The Place

I wrote a post and it vanished

anyway, croatia is the place to come to specially in may, june and september when there's no more crowd... a looooot to see - beautiful coast 1244 islands and rocks, numerous bays and coves... cultural and historical heritage - can't describe!... personal favorites Dubrovnik (overpriced, but you have to afford it), Trogir (small, packed, and astonishing) and Kornati's islands (beyond words)...
marinas are expensive (value for money questionable) but you can find exceptions; anchoring is quite a good option...
swimming, snorkeling and diving like nowhere I've been to...
winds can trick you in a sec,so be very careful especially in Velebt channel where gusts of Bora (NE wind) can make quite a show...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Yes I agree with you...but on the best anchorages you can not stay on anchor. You have to pick a buoy and even if they take your garbage away, you have to pay and a lot, for a buoy (20 to 27 euros for a 12m boat).

As you say, Marinas are expensive and the water (this summer in August, for 15 days) was cold, I mean, between 17º and 19º. Sure, you can find a nice of very interesting historic towns and little nice villages on the Islands but we have missed the turquoise waters and the sea temperature from the Balearic Islands, Sardinia and Corsica. on Croatia, even if the waters are clean they never get that color and on the other places I have mentioned I have always got sea water between 20 and 27º.

Regarding the Kornati Islands I don't agree with you (neither the guy that had charted the boat to me). They are without any vegetation, full of boats and they are not a match to the beauty of the Southern Islands, that are covered with deep green forests and Mediterranean flora.

Regarding the winds, that was perfect: No night wind (with one or two exceptions), weak wind on the morning and moderate wind the rest of the day.

Regards

Paulo
Old 09-25-2010

genoa is on a distinguished road
yes, I've heard about this July/ August and the weather... I've had perfect weather in May and June; air temp 27 - 35; sea temp. round 25. right now strong southern wind is keeping us in a marina in Mid Adriatic
Kornatis are special because they are different... i loved it there...
generally i like coratia because it's totally different from the destinations with tame landscape..
Old 03-18-2011

maxivalt is on a distinguished road
croatia sea temperature

In which part of adriatic sea water temperature was beetween 17 and 19º in august?
Here are average temperatures of adriatic sea:

best regards
Old 03-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxivalt View Post
In which part of adriatic sea water temperature was beetween 17 and 19º in august?
Here are average temperatures of adriatic sea:

best regards
Thanks for that temperature chart. I am going to leave my boat in Croatia and have it as my sailing base for the season and that is useful. The only problem is that I am not the only one that finds that Croatia is a great place to sail, to live for some months and as base to explore the central med. There are lots of marinas but the berths are expensive and most of them are already full anyway.

Regards

Paulo
Old 03-19-2011

Croacia

I think that price of berths in Croatia is the same expensive like in rest of other mediteranen ports. Also...like elsewhere..in Croatia you can find more expensive ports and more economical ports.
Prices of Murter Hramina Port (near Kornati):

I don't think that berths in Sardinia o Corsica are much cheaper
Old 03-19-2011

Slayer is on a distinguished road
I don't necessarily believe everything I read, so I am not throwing this out as a fact, but only something I read. There is an article in the March issue of Crusising World, in an article written by Cap'n Fatty Goodlander, he writes about the advantages of cruisers wintering in Turkey.

In the article he writes: "Croatia's skyrocketing costs and growing corruption make it far less yacht friendly." I don't know this to be true or not, but would be interested in other's comments.
Old 03-20-2011

I don't know about corruption but Croatia is probably the country that has more charter boats for m2 . This is one of the reasons that makes marinas expensive: Charter companies will pay almost anything to have a place. Contrary to Spain or Italy there are very few boats with Croatian flag that are not charter boats. I have been told that many Croatian have been forced to sell their own boats because they cannot afford the huge raise in price marinas.

Croatia is a lovely country but this kind of situation is creating some unbalances and as mostly sailors are charters I guess population looks at them and treats them as mass tourists, which they are

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-20-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I don't necessarily believe everything I read, so I am not throwing this out as a fact, but only something I read. There is an article in the March issue of Crusising World, in an article written by Cap'n Fatty Goodlander, he writes about the advantages of cruisers wintering in Turkey.

In the article he writes: "Croatia's skyrocketing costs and growing corruption make it far less yacht friendly." I don't know this to be true or not, but would be interested in other's comments.
If Cap'n Fatty sailing only where is no coruption....I'm wonder where he sailing?
Also...I would like to know where he was found information about "growing coruption" in Croatia
Google
Anyway...how coruption can affect some stranger who sailing on his boat miles away from coast?
Old 03-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxivalt View Post
If Cap'n Fatty sailing only where is no coruption....I'm wonder where he sailing?
Also...I would like to know where he was found information about "growing coruption" in Croatia
Google
Anyway...how coruption can affect some stranger who sailing on his boat miles away from coast?
Well, I did not knew that

The country is ranking 70 and that is pretty bad:
Corruption by country. Definition, graph and map.

On this site you have some Croats explaining it:

Visit Croatia - Politicians

maxivalt are you a Croate?

I wonder about the number of negative answers I got from dozens of marinas about an annual contract has something to do with it? I mean prices are fixed but If I pay higher will I have a place? I noticed that they are very slow to give answers and the answers are not always very clear...Humm!!

Last edited by PCP; 03-21-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.