Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012

jfitzgerald is on a distinguished road
Hudson River- Mast unstepping

Planning on doing the Hudson-Troy Canal in early June. Would appreciate advice on laying the mast down. Specifically, is the Castleton Boat Club Do-It-yourself method feasible for a 50 ft. mast? (I'm too old to go up the mast anymore.) Riverview Marine Svcs. looks like it's positioned for two days of riding the tide from Midtown? Are there any others?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Hudson River- Mast unstepping

When we went thru back in 2008, we pulled the mast at Riverview. Overall it was a good experience.

The staff was the strong point -- very engaging and helpful. Nothing spectacular about the amenities, but nothing nightmarish either.

If you need lumber for blocking/bracing your mast on deck, there's a lumber store within walking distance.

Depending on your draft, you may need to wait for higher water to get into the well. We draw just a hair under 6', and we had to time our session right around high tide (got into position 45 min prior to peak.)

Best of luck on your transit.
Old 04-18-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

I drove to Castleton last fall to check out their crane. Should be no problem for you. I plan on stepping my 47' keel-stepped mast there soon, and will do it alone. I talked to a guy who had just unstepped his mast, and he said the crane, which is electric and controlded via a switch box on a very long cord, moves very slowly and you can be on the boat manoevering the mast while you hold the control box in one hand. He made it sound slow, but easy.
Know any good no-frills marinas in the mid- to lower Hudson?
John V.
Old 04-21-2012

John. thanks for the advice. Can't help you much on Marinas, I'm relying on Skipper Bob.
JimF
Old 04-21-2012

Re: Mast unstepping. Many thanks, Good sailing.
Old 04-22-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitzgerald View Post
Planning on doing the Hudson-Troy Canal in early June. Would appreciate advice on laying the mast down. Specifically, is the Castleton Boat Club Do-It-yourself method feasible for a 50 ft. mast? (I'm too old to go up the mast anymore.) Riverview Marine Svcs. looks like it's positioned for two days of riding the tide from Midtown? Are there any others?
It looks like you are getting ready to transit the Champlain Canal (jeez, I feel like Microsoft's annoying Clippie saying that). I helped a friend transit his power boat through that canal last Autumn.

Active Captain, the crowdsourcing site, rates both those facilities with 5 stars. I have no experience with either to pass on, but regardless of which you use I'd recommend you join Active Captain (if you haven't already) and share your experiences there after you drop your mast. Besides, Active Captain first choice sponsors offer discounts to members (sadly neither of those facilities is a sponsor). Active Captain is free to join and is a great way to find good info from your fellow boaters about facilities.

If you don't know the Champlain Canal well, I also recommend perusing the state of New York's Canal web site. This page contains bridge height info. This page displays a table of pass prices for duration vs boat length. In addition, I consider getting one of the canal books with navigational charts an absolute requirement. The Hudson has a number of mud flats and navigational restrictions that are not necessarily obvious from the water.

The Champlain Canal is easily transited in two days. If you can go the canal speed limit (10 mph) and don't get stuck behind someone slow (e.g. a tug and tow) you can do the entire thing in one day if you start at 7 AM when the canal locks open for business. Commercial traffic has priority, though, so it isn't always possible even with a speedy boat.

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 04-22-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I use the self-serve gin pole at the Castleton Boat Club twice every year. You should have no problem as people usually team up to help each other step/unstep masts. I would estimate the pole sheave is around 45' off the water so your pivot point is well within the lift range. The only thing to be careful of is watching out for wakes at the wrong time but I have never had a problem. They are a great group of folks that belong to the club and I'd highly recommend going there.

Last edited by smurphny; 04-22-2012 at 09:25 AM.