SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Isuzu 2AB1??? Full of fresh water - salvageable?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Brent Swain 
#1 ·
Is it an Isuzu 2AB1 and is it salvageable?:D

I bought an aluminum sailboat, a Trisbal 36 and the engine is in sad shape.

First of all is it an Isuzu 2AB1? Looks to be and I've Isuzu manuals. :laugher Satyrus's Engine such as it is!

The boat was flooded with rain water and sank at her berth. The engine was submerged in fresh water (rainwater). When I bough it the cylinders and sump were full of water. The water may have been in the engine for years. I can rotate the crankshaft with a socket wrench through 270 degrees. The valves can be manually moved. I have removed the starter, valve cover and injectors. Non of the bolts or nuts were seized nor did I break any bolts in the process. I removed as much water as I could, sprayed in Blaster, rinsed with methanol and sprayed with Blaster again and added oil.

Questions:
- Is it salvageable (ignoring the starter) ?
- If salvageable:
--- do I disassemble enough to get it turning, or do a complete tear down. :hammer
--- What parts do you recommend I replace.
--- Is the injector pump useable/salvageable?
- If the engine is not salvageable, what would you recommend as a replacement:
--- a rebuilt 2Ab1
--- or ????

I tried to upload pictured but the SailNet "Manage Attachments", would not upload even though my jpg. files were less than 95K and less than 800 x 600.

There are pictures at Satyrus's Engine

Thanks for you time.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you can only turn it over 270 degrees there may still be water in one of the cylinders. At this point there doesn't appear to be much to lose? Before trying to start it suggest you remove the injectors for cleaning and/or the glow plugs to try to pump all the water out of the cylinders. the injector pump may have water in it? If possible drain & flush. Drain & flush the crankcase, bleed everything, make sure you can turn it over 360 degrees by hand, say your prayers, and try to start it. My guess is that long with water in it even if it fires there may be lots of rust or corrosion on all the moving iron/ steel parts, maybe even the aluminum parts? Might be interesting to try to start it but a re-built same engine would no doubt be more reliable in the long run. Let us know how it all comes out.

Paul T

#3 ·
If you cant turn over a full 360 you have a problem. This engine has a timing belt I believe. Possibly a stuck valve or cam follower. Remove valve cover and turn dont force. Watch each cylinders valve action until engine wont rotate. Go back other way, check all cylinders in this way until you locate whats NOT moving.If you cant find anything stuck, could be injection pump. Possile but not probable. Last resort prior to teardown, remove timing cover & rotate. Inspect all gears/belt for anything causing stoppage.As valves interfere with piston if out of time or stuck, if there is valve train problem forcing can bend or break valves.

#6 ·
Yes, caberg; but *someone* could and prolly will!;) What's the cost of teardown, bore and rings and a valve job plus reassembly compared to a new(ish) equivalent motor?? Half the cost? Less? More? Still considerable cheaper and you *know* it's fresh.
Find a good mechanic and get a quote once ya have it sussed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.