Chapter 6: Anybody Got a Tourniquet?
As I posted last time, the overhaul kit was just the first significant wound in what I hope will not become a death by a thousand cuts.
The next major investment is my seeming adoption of the machine shop. I dropped off the head and block to have work done that there's just no way for me to do properly in my one-car garage.
o Hot tank and magnaflux both the block and the head.
o Pressure test the head.
o Replace valve guides.
o Face valve seats
o Remove and replace cylinder liners.
o Bead blast the timing cover and engine mounting brackets.
Now mind you, I didn't just pick this machine shop after a random check of the Yellow Pages; they were recommended to me by several fairly knowledgeable gear-heads. Since I haven't had any major engine machine work done is a couple of decades, I guess I was ill prepared for just how much it was going to bite into my wallet. Getting the head work done is going to run about $150, and they are going to go ahead and include lapping in the new valves and reassembly of the head.
So far, I'm happy.
Removal and replacement the cylinder liners? About $750. I almost choked at that one (OK, not quite true... I did choke at that one.) What, you would be asking, does that include? Well, a little more than just R & R of the liners. The machinist is going to also have to fabricate a couple of things to do the job right. First off, he's got to make a plate to drive the liner out. Then he's got to fabricate a plate that will drive the new liner in, but stop while leaving the top of the liner 0.025" proud of the deck (which the guys who installed the last liners failed to do properly.) Once that's done, they will finish hone the cylinder to 3.125", and double check to make sure that the valve to piston head clearance is right. After that, another trip to the hot tank tank.
I'll post pics once those parts come back.
Of course, I wouldn't be in such a foul mood if this were the only setback.
Here's something I missed on first inspection. That's my crank pulley, and yes that's a crack right through at the edge of the keyway. No way that's going back on with much hope of survival. TAD's got one for about $380; there's a retailer in the UK that has a new one for GBP 60 -- I think I'll do my part to stimulate the UK economy as well as the US (just call me an internationalist
Here's what the rocker assembly looks like assembled. A little wear on the tips, but otherwise looks pretty good.
And here's what the shaft looks like after I finally managed to get the thing disassembled. Why the struggle? I'm guessing someone too cheap to invest in a torque wrench cranked the crap out of the mounting bolts at some point, and really REALLY compressed the pedestals onto the shaft.
I think we may have found suspect #2 in our search for the top end oil leak.
My initial (naive, it turns out) thought was "OK, just replace the shaft & arm bushings, easy peasy..." As Lee Corso would say "not so fast!"
I've been searching high and low for a replacement shaft. TAD's got a reconditioned shaft for $350. I've widened my search into the other equipment with 4.108's installed; it turns out that Massey-Ferguson, New Holland, Bobcat, and Gehl all built skidsteers with the 4.108. BTW: The M-F 811 parts manual
is better than the Perkins one -- the diagrams are better, the parts descriptions are usually more detailed (including fastener sizes & thread types), and is has both M-F and Perkins parts numbers. Of course, the industrial 4.108 build excludes the marine raw water cooling adaptations, but it's still a good resource to have.
After a ton of time on the internet, I found a company in CA that will rebuild the entire assembly for $187. This will include a replacement hard chrome plated shaft, new bushings, reface arm tips, reassemble, and ship back ready to bolt back on the head in about a week. We'll see how that goes -- I'll post results once it gets back.
Next Up: (Depends on what I wind up doing this weekend...)