Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Help! Injector Pump repair without timeframe, etc.

Need help with this one. My Perkin's (Lucas) injector pump started dripping out of a weep hole. So I removed it and took it to a neighboring diesel repair shop that the marina manager recommended.

They are quoting me 1800 to get a rebuilt one, then 250 minimum to re-install it on the boat. It will take 6 days to get a rebuilt one made and delivered from North or South Carolina. (I assume mine is used as the replacement core after the fact.)

The local place says they can't guarantee that they be able to put it into the boat in the days after the injector pump gets in. Time is a bit critical due to family expectations.

The place in NC or SC says that since this is marine, there can be no returns so the local place wants the full price up front, not just a deposit. Not sure what that means or why. My only guess is that perhaps there is another reason why diesel was coming out the weep hole, like a blocked line or something.

Does anyone have any experience with similar issues? Does everything seem on the up and up? I have what's basically a tractor engine, I'm thinking something may be amiss.

Regards,
Brad
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2013
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Help! Injector Pump repair without timeframe, etc.

Oh man! I'd put it back on with an absorbent bilge cloth wrapped around it to get me though the family deal and then call up NorthLand Diesel Service in Bellingham WA and get a quote from them. It sounds like you're getting ripped off. Weep holes are there for a reason. There's a seal that's leaking and the engine manufacture would rather the diesel leak out than leak into your oil pan and thin the oil out.

Both JRD22 and I have had them do work for us and I used to use them in the old days when I had a truck repair business. They treated me right.
Faster and MedSailor like this.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-11-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Brad,
You are probably very nearly correct when you say that your engine is a tractor engine. It is likely that your same engine block # is used in some heavy equipment.

I have had some luck finding Kubota tractor parts for Universal marine diesels at up to 1/10th the price of the equivalent "marine" version from standard "marine" merchants. Glow plugs for the Universal 5434 engine at Torreson: $89 a piece. At a tractor supply website: $9 a piece. The trick with cross referencing Universal engines (which use Kubota engine blocks) is to find out the tractor model # the same block is used in. The same may work for your Perkins diesel engine. Google: "Perkins 84 HP diesel" (or whatever HP your diesel is) and look for heavy equipment that may use a similar/or same HP engine. Follow it from there for parts for the same heavy equipment.

No sense wasting money but it might make you feel better to replace that pump with a reasonably priced new pump while you sort out repairing the old one.

For $1800 I can get a running Atomic 4 engine on Ebay/CL. That is just an insult to rebuild an injector pump for that price. I'm not suggesting you should repower your Benny 505 with a 30 HP max Atomic 4 but I hope you get my point.

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 06-11-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Really good to see opinions from others on this. Much appreciated.

I can probably get the injector pump back on, within a couple degrees of where it was, if I go that route.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 06-11-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

$1800 to rebuild the pump sounds way high. I spent about $450 to have one rebuilt a few years ago. I realize its not the same engine but still that seems extremely high to me?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 06-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

I should add that it's a 4 cylinder Perkins, made in 1996.

Is there any chance this is really a problem with a blocked return line?

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 06-11-2013
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough

I'm not familiar enough with that specific injector pump to know, but it would be easy enough to test by opening the fuel return line somewhere and running it into a coffee can while the motor is running to see if it stops the leak.

The inside of the injector pump has a cavity that is filled with low pressure fuel that surrounds the high pressure piston pumps that supply each injector with fuel. I would suspect that there is a seal between that low pressure cavity and the shaft that spins a cam of some sort and that's the source of the fuel leak. It's probably a $10 seal, but it's in a $200 dollar spot.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-11-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I should add that it's a 4 cylinder Perkins, made in 1996.

Is there any chance this is really a problem with a blocked return line?

Regards,
Brad
Brad,

Is your 4 cyl. Perkins rated at 84HP?
I'd need the exact HP to try to cross reference it.

Everybody has one:

Old 06-11-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Brad,

Is your 4 cyl. Perkins rated at 84HP?
I'd need the exact HP to try to cross reference it.
Sorry Caleb. It's a 4.2xx can't remember the last part.

It's not the oringinal engine, near as I can tell, since it's a 1996 and the boat is a 2000.

We can check next time we're at the boat.

Based on the advice here, I'm putting the injector pump back on the engine for a bit.

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 06-11-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

When somebody says it is "Marine", "Red flag"? I would think the same injector pumps could be used in other applications?

Paul T