SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   Diesel engine install (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/100375-diesel-engine-install.html)

H and E 06-11-2013 07:50 AM

Diesel engine install

I will be installing a rebuilt engine in the next few days. Is there any tips that I need to know for a successful installation. I have new motor mounts, filters and some new hoses. New stuffing box packing etc. I know that the fuel system needs to be bled and I have not figured that out yet. I will want to run the engine on the hard to be sure everything is OK. It is a Universal 2 cyl M12. Any tips that anyone can provide will be appreciated. Thanks

TropicCat 06-11-2013 08:16 AM

Re: Diesel engine install

When the engine mounts settle in, you will probably have to realign the engine. I've done this with Yanmar mounts and had to go back and realign a month later.

fryewe 06-11-2013 10:15 AM

Is this an installation of an engine of the same type as installed before? With the same type of motor mounts? If so have you restored the engine bed mounting holes so that the new mounts can be properly and firmly installed? If not have you evaluated the engine beds and made the changes needed to accommodate the different mounts and/or engine?

Restoring the old holes is normally done by epoxying hardwood plugs in the holes.

Unless your engine installation mirrors the previous installation you should build a template for landing your new engine on your new mounts and aligning the engine with the shaft coupling. A discussion of how this is done is at http://bateau2.com/free/inboard_tpl_notes.pdf.

A wealth of information on engine installation is available on the net. If you haven't already read the threads and watched the videos and visited sailors' sites that have done this and described the trials and tribulations I recommend you do that before you start. If you are a novice at this take notes and keep a record of the sites you find useful and revisit them because you won't be able to remember all the tips and advice.

Good luck.

H and E 06-11-2013 11:12 AM

Frwewe

Thanks- the engine is the one I removed to have rebuilt. The engine bed is in very good condition with the mounting holes solid. I was planning to ad some epoxy in the mounting holes during installation for good measure. The new mounts are the same as the ones removed. Thanks for the link.

T37Chef 06-11-2013 11:15 AM

Don't put it in gear if you plan to run it on land, if you have a cutlass bearing you will ruin it. Of course if you plan to run it for a while you'll need to hook up water to the engine.

A check of the alignment will be needed about a week or two after launch as the boat will settle into its normal "shape". If you have not done an alignment before, it would be wise to have a trained mechanic look it over, otherwise you may end up spending $$$ down the road when the drive system or a component(s) of fails.

You'll want to check the RPM vs. the Tach as well, usually off and needs adjustment. Check operating temp vs the gauge as well, using a infrared therm should be fine.

Faster 06-11-2013 11:26 AM

Don't do the final alignment until you're in the water.. few boats sit on the hard exactly as they do afloat. Since it's a reinstall of original the rest should be easy.

You might consider leaving some parts off - alternator, exhaust manifold, etc, ie things easy to put on later and they'll lighten the load and make a smaller package to slip down the companionway.

Omatako 06-13-2013 10:01 PM

Put TefGel on every fastener - you'll know how good that stuff is when you come to taking things off again.

H and E 06-28-2013 08:59 AM

I have the engine in place and aligned the shaft. I checked the horizontal movement of the shaft and fixed it in place in the center of the horizontal movement. I have adjusted the face plates to within about 10 thousandths of each other and the bolt holes aligned. (Not sure the casting on the aft end of the transmission is that accurate)It took several times as when I tightened things up movement occurred and I had to re-align. I plan to run the engine with the shaft not connected to see if the engine will settle in some then re-adjust. I will recheck it in the water and again after a few hours of running in the water. I have installed a new cutlass bearing and stuffing box packing. I have a tendency to over do some things most of the time and am wondering if I am doing it here.

deniseO30 06-28-2013 10:17 AM

Well since no one else has said it...
:worthless:

Congrats on your progress!

H and E 06-29-2013 07:53 AM

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3...D550/ry%3D400/

For Denise