Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Re: After Winterizing: Fire Up and Go?

Caberg - I concur with most so far.

Also - tell us more. If you have a Yanmar 1GM you could not ask for a much better, much simpler engine. You really should learn how to winterize and summerize that engine.

And when you do know and understand it - fixing something while drifting in the ocean is not such a big deal.

Rik
Old 06-15-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Thanks all! Heading up to the boat right now to get it ready to splash this week. I'm not concerned with other aspects of prep (seacocks etc) just am a novice with the diesel engine. The boat is a 1981 Seafarer 26. We had two months on it at the end of last season before pulling it for thw winter. Hardly used the diesel because we basically sail on and off the mooring. Ran beautifully when we did use it though. I do have the manual so With the advice hereadvic

sorry, phone is freaking out. Will update soon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013

Update--

When I fired it on Saturday for the first time, it gave off some pretty black smoke for about 30 seconds, and I had to give it some throttle to keep it turning, but then it settled down into its usual old self. Motored the ~10 miles to my mooring (no wind) and it ran flawless. I love this engine.

Wish I had time to take a diesel engine course. Maybe in my next lifetime. I think a book might have to suffice for now, and I do plan to do the winterization myself at the end of this season.
Old 06-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you are running the same impeller that sat in there all winter, I highly recommend changing it. It will work perfectly right up the to second it doesn't work at all and you have to figure out how to get rubber bits out of your heat exchanger.

Not trying to alarm. It's typically a fairly easy job and not expensive. Good insurance.
MikeOReilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-27-2013

Thanks, Minnewaska. I am fairly sure this was on the punch-list in the fall when I had the yard winterize the engine, but I will double-check. If it was a new impeller in the fall, should be fine, right? If I visually inspect it will I be able to determine if it needs replacing?
Old 06-27-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
.......If it was a new impeller in the fall, should be fine, right?.....
Unfortunately, no. The problem with leaving an impeller in one position for the entire winter is the few blades that are extremely compressed and could have been weakened. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. There is no way to visually assess this wear. Sorry.

The time to put a new impeller in is the beginning of the season, not the end. Unless you specifically asked for one or were still going sailing, I don't think a reputable yard would install a new impeller to just sit there all winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-27-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I've heard the 'change the impeller' every year story a number of times. I don't do that. I inspect it each year and as long as I don't see any cracking in the vanes I just put it back. I'm on the same impeller for 3 years and haven't had any problems. I have an oberdorfer pump and use the oberdorder impeller. I tried the Globe blue impeller and it lasted less than one season. Back to the oberdorfer pump and no problems.

I keep spares on the boat and I can also change the impeller in under 5 minutes so it's no big deal to change if I have to.

Barry

Old 06-27-2013

I've heard the stories of impellers lasting several years too. They might.

But a failure is more than pulling over and replacing it. The bits and pieces can end up causing blockages downstream in the heat exchanger. In the worst case scenario, they can't be disassembled to clean out.

Impellers are relatively inexpensive, therefore, why take the chance. Cracks are obvious, but impending failures scenarios are not all driven by cracks.

I've had one fail three hours out of the box.

Jeanneau 54DS