SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Diesel (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/)
-   -   After Winterizing: Fire Up and Go? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/diesel/100429-after-winterizing-fire-up-go.html)

caberg 06-13-2013 09:22 AM

After Winterizing: Fire Up and Go?

I bought my first boat with an inboard diesel (Yanmar 1gm) late last season, and had it professionally winterized at the yard when they hauled it out, plus I had them do the regular oil/filter changes and they changed a belt. I'm about to have them drop it back in. Just fire up and go?

deniseO30 06-13-2013 09:31 AM

Re: After Winterizing: Fire Up and Go?

Nope! Because....
:worthless:

But really, you need to know your boat. what sea valves are, where they are etc. You could tell us what boat and what engine it is too! There is a good chance someone else has the same boat and that would save you time on the learning curve!
:)

DRFerron 06-13-2013 09:50 AM

We learned not to assume anything. Even though you paid them for a service, you should do your own due diligence and do a thorough check of your systems. Your boat, your responsibility. Even in the best of yards people forget, overlook, skip steps and even if it's one time, that could ruin your season if something goes wrong.

BarryL 06-13-2013 10:01 AM

Hey,

You *should* be good to but, but......

I like to run the engine while the boat is on the hard to make sure it starts, runs, doesn't leak, overheat, etc. This is easy to do if you have water at the yard. Run a hose into a bucket. Disconnect the raw water input and place the hose into the same bucket. Fill the bucket 3/4 with water and then start the engine. Adjust the flow of water into the bucket so it stays 1/2 full of so.

I like to run the engine for at least 15 minutes. This should allow it to get up to temperature, and make sure that fresh fuel from the tank has run through the filters and into the engine. Check for fuel and water leaks. If the engine runs for 15 minutes without any problems then you are probably good to go.

You can do a quick transmission test too. Have someone spray wd40 on the shaft where it enters the strut to keep the cutless bearing cool and place the engine in forward and then reverse for a few seconds. Don't run the transmission without providing water or WD40 onto the cutless beating or you will overheat the bearing.

Good luck,
Barry

blutoyz 06-13-2013 10:05 AM

+1 here

Check all fluid levels and test run on the hard as described.

Simple as that

MikeOReilly 06-13-2013 04:08 PM

You're probably fine, but definitely check all fluid levels, make sure filters are set properly, and ensure all hoses have been re-clamped properly. Before you go back into the water make sure the engine intake valve is open. Now is a good time to check the intake impeller as well.

You're going to want to run the engine a little bit while still on the hard, just to ensure it's working. You also have to remove and recover the coolant -- don't just run it into the water or let it drain into the ground. I don't normally bring the engine to temperature on the hard, so I don't generally hook up cooling water, but there's nothing wrong with doing that. Be careful of the cutless bearing!

I always do my own winterizing. It's not hard to do, once you've done it a few times. Kind of like most things with a boat; it's easy ... once you know how ;).

DrB 06-13-2013 04:46 PM

Test On Hard

Much easier to fix if something isn't right. I am not in favor of turning over prop/tranny though while on the hard unless prop is off. An prop spinning is dangerous.

As BarryL writes, fire it up, let's it idle/warm and do some revs. Make sure you have a source of cooling water while the engine is running.

HUGOSALT 06-13-2013 06:14 PM

Yes check, and change impeller and keep old as spare, i do this with thermostat, fuel pump etc. that I change out
with preventative maintenance...as you know they will fit if needed.
Actually keep new impeller, belts, and some hoses on hand just in case.
You may consider, on a new old boat, changing out your air filter
often an overlooked item and not good if ingested by motor.

Minnewaska 06-13-2013 06:21 PM

Some remove the impeller for the winter. You really want to check her out before turning that key.

capecodda 06-14-2013 08:37 AM

This "double check the yard advice" is really important. Here's an example of why we do:

One boat back in our past, we were busy people. Came back from a weekend sail and had noticed a loose fan belt. Yep, so busy didn't take time to tighten it, but asked the yard to do it for us over the week (pretty lazy I know, but stay with me). OK, so we come back on Friday night with crew and supplies ready to go. Stock up, do my usual engine checks, and yes I find they tightened the belt. How was I sure? There was a set of vice grips still clamped on the alternator bolt used to adjust the belt tension.

Trust but verify....and good luck, you'll do fine!