Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2qm15 smoking in gear

Did you recently change your prop? If this is a new problem and it didn't happen before, it is something that changed. I wouldn't think it would be the pitch of the prop. Unless you just bought the boat and you don't know about prior performance issues. If so, can you ask prior owner?

To check pitch, you pull the prop and take to a prop company.

What about a stuffing box that is too tight, creating friction and heat?

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013

CanadianNorth is on a distinguished road

Thanks,

I should clarify, that I only bought the boat a month ago. Prior to that it had been on the hard for 2-3 years.

The previous owner did mention that he had some issue with the drive shaft and that he had it serviced, so it's unlikely its the pitch I am guessing. Ive emailed the previous owner for more information.

I can also check the stuffing box and see if it's too tight.

Last edited by CanadianNorth; 07-05-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-05-2013

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2qm15 smoking in gear

I have had same problem with my 2qm15, right after I bought my boat. It always started ok. It idled. It would loose power at some point while in a gear. Sometimes right away, sometimes after a while. Sometimes RPM would drop. .
Friend of mine suggested to run a test. Basically I rigged a gravity fuel delivery directly into high pressure fuel pump. I got a clean fuel. Long nosed funnel. Length of hose. Disconnected the line from high pressure fuel pump, put it into jig to collect a fuel and attached clean hose to the nipple on high pressure pump. Logic was that if engine keep acting up then the problem is either with high pressure pump or injectors, or some other mechanical problem within drivetrain. If engine works well, then it is a low pressure fuel delivery system - filters, fuel itself, fuel tank, hoses, lifting fuel pump. In my case engine worked perfectly on the gravity feed. In retrospect, I believe it was bad fuel, however I found old collapsing fuel line and stripped tread on one of the fuel connections. After 3000 miles, and dozen and a half fuel filter changes the engine stopped acting up.
Old 07-06-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

PO says issue with drive shaft? I've never heard of an issue that just materializes. They're usually caused by something wearing out or hitting something. When you need new stuffing, some just crank the nut down harder. Not good. Cutlass bearings are a wear item, but don't present your problem. If you wacked something with your prop and replaced it with the wrong pitch. That would do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-06-2013

spoke with the previous owner. He said all was good previously, and that the stuffing box was good. He mentioned that the prop was rotating easily before she went in the water.

He suggested a fuel/fuel line issue.

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 07-06-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Your Yanmar has a mechanical fuel pump which advances the injection timing by using a set of very delicately balanced weights and counterweights. When a small diesel sits for a prolonged period of time there will be paraffin buildups in the fuel pump, since the internals of the pump are lubricated by the fuel it is very important that these buildups be eliminated. There are several additives that will help, one of the best is Lucas Oil Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner, another is Power Service Clear Diesel Fuel and Tank Cleaner.

You should also consider using a product from either of these companies to treat your fuel and boost the cetane levels in your fuel. ULSD, ultra low sulphur diesel is very "dry" and does not lubricate your fuel system like the fuel that the engine was designed to run would have done. I have used both of these products for many years in diesel engines in heavy equipment, semi tractors, yanmar diesel engines in both boats and in trailer refrigeration units, and in boats and my personal pickup trucks, and they work very well. I would recommend the Lucas oil treatment for engine oil viscosity and their fuel treatment products are great, Power Service is also very good.

What I would do is run the engine out of a gerry can, run at least three gallons of fuel through it at a medium high idle, maybe charge your batteries or something, then treat the tank and run the engine under a load. I would say you would not go wrong doubling or tripling the recommended amount to add to your tank the first time, and then just keep using it every fill up. If this does not correct the problem I would be surprised, but at least you know this is going to be much cheaper than an exploratory engine surgery by a mechanic, and it surely will not hurt. You will want to change the filter to a new filter before treating the fuel system and after, and if you see any mucous like substance in the filter, fuel bowl, lines or elsewhere in the system use the Power Service Bio-Kleen which will kill the microscopic organisms that grow in all fuel tanks, and will eliminate the organisms throughout all the fuel system.

I personally use a combination of the products on anything I buy that has been sitting and I never crank the engine other than to make sure it will run before cleaning the system, and if I bought it without seeing it I clean it before I run it at all. Diesel engines will last a very long time and give you almost no trouble until you get some crappy fuel, then they will drive you nuts. If you have any questions you can PM me.

Lucas Fuel Treatment : Lucas Oil

CLEAR-DIESEL® Fuel & Tank Cleaner: Fuel Polishing Formula ? use to clean and maintain a fuel system.
Old 07-06-2013

thanks. That's good helpful advice. To clarify, you would run the engine on clean fuel for 3 gallons? Before adding any cleaners?

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 07-06-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianNorth View Post
thanks. That's good helpful advice. To clarify, you would run the engine on clean fuel for 3 gallons? Before adding any cleaners?
I would run the engine on clean fuel from a clean gerry can with additives in it to concentrate and clean the actual fuel pump. Sorry, I should have made that more clear in the original post. If you have three gallons of clean fuel in a clean gerry can and add enough to treat 25 gallons of fuel you will do a lot of good and absolutely no harm at all even with the heavier concentration of the detergents and lubricants. Just be sure to monitor the engine, and it would be good to vary the load and RPM's as much as you can with no real load on it for a few minutes, which will help.

By the Way, you can find Power Service at a lot of truck stops, and if not you can check on line for chain stores that carry it.
Old 07-06-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
What I would do is run the engine out of a gerry can, run at least three gallons of fuel through it at a medium high idle, maybe charge your batteries or something, then treat the tank and run the engine under a load. [/url]
Nine hours, or more, at idle?

Old 07-06-2013
sailing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Nine hours, or more, at idle?

At a medium high idle it will not run quite that long, but it needs to run at temperature in order to clean and lubricate the injection pump and injectors. If it were to start to run hot obviously you would shut it down, but it will not unless there is a water circulation issue. It will cost a lot less to run the cleaner through than to have a mechanic come out and do basically the same thing.