Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013

CanadianNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2qm15 smoking in gear

Thanks,

I ran her three hours on clean fuel with the Power Service injector cleaner last evening at the dock. I varied the idle speed a bit, I did find that when I ran the engine faster that I got a little white smoke. But none otherwise at idle. Didnt try her in gear.
I didn't leave the engine running fast for any length of time!! and I varied between low and medium idle every few minutes.

I'll run a few more hours today and then test her out to see if there is any difference.

I hear what you're saying about the fuel, and diesel mechanics are hard to come by in these parts (rural canada). I already pulled 9 gallons of old fuel from the tank prior to launch, but I didn't get it all.

thanks again!

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain

Last edited by CanadianNorth; 07-07-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2013

Took the Spirit out for a run this after noon. had little to no problems with the engine after running 6 hours with the injector cleaner. Very impressed!!!

Thanks!!!

High Hopes

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 07-07-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianNorth View Post
Took the Spirit out for a run this after noon. had little to no problems with the engine after running 6 hours with the injector cleaner. Very impressed!!!

Thanks!!!
You are quite welcome. Any time I can help I am happy to do so.

Mark
fryewe likes this.
Old 07-08-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Hey Mark,
I seam to have a similar problem with my 31 year old Yanmar 2gm 13hp 3400 continuous HP rated engine.
I Was having some problem at low rpm’s so, I naturally went to change the fuel filter, the one that is part of the engine. Anyway It cranked up but now runs very poorly. I have heavy black smoke suit on the water. Seams like dry oily stuff.
I think $230. for new injectors would fix part of the problemof being old and never serviced, But what could I’ve have done to cause the heave black smoke from today’s filter change? It only got real bad after I changed the filter?

Thanks for your help
Capt. Curt
Old 07-08-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Hey Mark,
I seam to have a similar problem with my 31 year old Yanmar 2gm 13hp 3400 continuous HP rated engine.
I Was having some problem at low rpmís so, I naturally went to change the fuel filter, the one that is part of the engine. Anyway It cranked up but now runs very poorly. I have heavy black smoke suit on the water. Seams like dry oily stuff.
I think $230. for new injectors would fix part of the problemof being old and never serviced, But what could Iíve have done to cause the heave black smoke from todayís filter change? It only got real bad after I changed the filter?

Thanks for your help
Capt. Curt
Black smoke is an indication of fuel that is not being burned, it can be from poorly maintained injectors, a fuel pump that is not timed right, or a restricted air flow. I would say that what may be happening, and this is just a guess, is that the previous filter was restricted a bit, and it lowered the pressure of the fuel at the injectors just a smidge and now it has some build up on the injector nozzles. You can remove the injectors and check the spray pattern to see if it is a cone shaped pattern, and tell if that is what is going on, or you can go the route I suggested with the OP and run it with the fuel polisher and injector cleaner from a clean gerry can. Personally, I would try that first, and if it does not clear it up I would pull the injectors.

The great thing about these little Yanmars is that they have a super easy to replace injector, and if you are handy at all you can do it yourself, providing you have the tools. The manual is here, http://j30.us/files/yanmar-manual.pdf and it will show you some of the procedures to follow in maintenance and it does show how to check the injectors and timing. If you are not comfortable in doing that, then you will have to take it in to the shop. The timing, and the injector spray pattern are critical, and if one of those is out, or you are not getting good airflow it will run rich and smoke a lot.

So, check to make sure your air filter is clean. Check to make sure you are getting clean fuel all the way from the tank to the injectors. Check the timing and the spray pattern and it will be somewhere in that list. My first guess is that you just need to run the fuel polishing and injector cleaner, and it will probably clear up, it is possible that when you changed the filter it dislodged some gunk and you are now dealing with that at the injector tips.

PM me and I will try to help you if I can.
ltgoshen (07-09-2013)
Old 07-11-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

K, I have ordered a set of fuel lines and 2 injectors. It is a salt water cooled 31 year old engine. I have an old salt helping me down at the marina. He sail to start looking for a 2gm20F and replace my old engine with a newer one? "It may last 1, 2 or maybe 5 years he said" He thinks it would not be wise to buy a new elbow and racor filter and injectors and lines then find out LOW compression...
So here is the plan of action.
1) replace the injectors with new.install the 500FG30 racor filter. It will stay reguardless what I do with the engine.
2) replace the high pressure lines.$27.00 each.
3) prime the engine and test run.
4) do a compression test.
5) I confirmed the transmission is a KM2 with a 2.62 to 1 ratio and my prop is a RH15DX9P2
If it has good to great compression in will stay in the boat till id gives up the ghost. If it fails to show good compression than I will start my hunt for a 2GM20F that is fresh water cooled.
What say you???

Last edited by ltgoshen; 07-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2013

As a follow up,

I've had my Spirit out now for several fair weather runs.
However, in a couple of trips we faced some hard head wind. The engine will idle and run well in light head winds ( up to 20 knots say ). But faced with strong headwinds (like today 35 knots) the engine stuggles, drops in rpms, and starts to smoke.

I know 15 horsepower isn't much for a 28 foot boot - but what kind of headwind should it be able to handle? To make even 2-3 knots? The boat was dead in the water today.

High Hopes

Mark Twain
Old 08-22-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As a follow up,

I've had my Spirit out now for several fair weather runs.
However, in a couple of trips we faced some hard head wind. The engine will idle and run well in light head winds ( up to 20 knots say ). But faced with strong headwinds (like today 35 knots) the engine stuggles, drops in rpms, and starts to smoke.

I know 15 horsepower isn't much for a 28 foot boot - but what kind of headwind should it be able to handle? To make even 2-3 knots? The boat was dead in the water today.
Color of smoke?
Old 08-22-2013

Black

High Hopes

Mark Twain
Old 08-22-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Black
Possible Over fueling. Type of prop? Feathering or fixed?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.