Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2qm15 smoking in gear

Pitch too much or growth on the blades? Even if the engine is too small for the boat, flat out shouldn't have excessive black smoke.Raw water cooled ? maybe doesn't come up to temp to burn the maximum squirt of fuel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013

CanadianNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Pitch too much or growth on the blades? Even if the engine is too small for the boat, flat out shouldn't have excessive black smoke.Raw water cooled ? maybe doesn't come up to temp to burn the maximum squirt of fuel
The previous owner claimed he had no issues. Many people mention incorrect pitch... But would pitch change on a prop ? I'm assuming this the original prop from 34 years ago.

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 08-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianNorth View Post
The previous owner claimed he had no issues. Many people mention incorrect pitch... But would pitch change on a prop ? I'm assuming this the original prop from 34 years ago.
I would not change on its own, but why would you assume it was never replaced over 34 years? It's very common for owners, particularly those selling their boats, to buy whatever they can find. Or, whatever they can find the cheapest. Some don't even know what pitch is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would not change on its own, but why would you assume it was never replaced over 34 years? It's very common for owners, particularly those selling their boats, to buy whatever they can find. Or, whatever they can find the cheapest. Some don't even know what pitch is.
Very true.

However, I know the last two previous owners dating back 10 years or so and they say the prop wasn't changed

High Hopes

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 08-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Very true.

However, I know the last two previous owners dating back 10 years or so and they say the prop wasn't changed
Fair enough, but leaves 24 unanswered years. I suppose you confirmed with both that there were no issues during their ownership?

Btw. Is your exhaust elbow clean? Can cause back pressure and smoking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Fair enough, but leaves 24 unanswered years. I suppose you confirmed with both that there were no issues during their ownership?

Btw. Is your exhaust elbow clean? Can cause back pressure and smoking.
The exaust elbow is clean, i assume,but is also not original. I had it custom made this summer (because I couldn't get an original part). It is very close to the diameter of the original.

High Hopes

Mark Twain
Old 08-26-2013

Quote:
The exaust elbow is clean, i assume,but is also not original. I had it custom made this summer (because I couldn't get an original part). It is very close to the diameter of the original.
The engineering of an elbow may be more significant than it appears. How it bends, the diameter of the port and how water is introduced contribute to backpressure, which can cause smoking. Just something to think about.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 08-26-2013

Very true. The problems with the engine preceed the new elbow, that said it might be making things worse.

High Hopes

Mark Twain
Old 09-23-2013

A little update for those following.

I pulled the injectors with the intention of testing the spray pattern. Long story short, I was unable to test them, but I did clean them up. There was a significant coating of carbon on them. I actually scraped it off the injectors.

To my surprise, the engine is running much better.
Now, I get no black smoke (previously I would always get some black smoke, and when I would go past about 1/2 throttle, or 1700ish rpms, I would get billows of black smoke and no power).
There was no smoke at all, and the engine started easily. The engine rpms did not drop when she went in gear, and she was able to rev up to 2500 rpms and give 6 knots.
Very surprising.

While not cured (past 2500rpms I get white smoke), there is definitely a significant improvement from before. Reflecting back, the carbon built up quickly over the 20-30 hours the engine was run this summer.... so I know there is still a problem somewhere in the system..

Thanks to all those who gave me advice.... and I think I'll keep some of that injector cleaner in my tank from now on.
fryewe likes this.

High Hopes

Mark Twain
Old 09-24-2013
repair it all

rustyballast is on a distinguished road

Did the previous owner change the prop? Seems from symptoms prop may be too aggressive for motor? Check the pitch and diameter of prop...