Output Shaft Coupling - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Omatako
  • 1 Post By hellosailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2013 Thread Starter

Output Shaft Coupling

I'm looking for a technical referrence to the requirement to safety wire the set screws on the output shaft of a Yanmar 3GM30F (Kenzaki transmission).

I found on another forum mentioning such requiremnt but cant find the technical/service procedure.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2013

Re: Output Shaft Coupling

When you say technical reference, are you looking for a spec on the wire? The screws?

On the shaft coupling there are normally two set screws set 90 apart with square heads that have a hole through. The screws are turned into indentations in the shaft, tightened and the binding wire is fed through the holes in the squared heads to bind the screws to each other so that if they come loose they can't turn themselves out.

If there is a specification for this, I have never seen it. Some would say use stainless steel wire but given the fact that all the other parts are steel, I always use a plated steel binding wire typically used in normal automotive transmissions. The average auto spares store should have it in stock. I have never had to replace this wire except when removed to loosen the set screws.

Hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2013

This simple idea, but a LITTLE dab of BLUE Loctite on the threads of the setscrews would probably work better than anything else you can do...
post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycatt View Post
This simple idea, but a LITTLE dab of BLUE Loctite on the threads of the setscrews would probably work better than anything else you can do...
Many insurance companies and most marine surveyors will settle for nothing less than wire-bound set screws. They seemingly need something they can see, not the hidden promise of a chemical locker.

FWIW
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2013
Reward for lost Kraken!

"plated steel binding wire"
In the US we call it 'baling wire" as it was used to hold hay bales together. Any auto parts store, farm supply, hardware store should have it.
In a real chandlery, you can still buy real monel "seizing wire" if you want to do the job right.

I wouldn't worry about requirements, I'd just make sure to USE wire if the set screws allow it to be used. I lost a ball joint on a car once--while driving--because some idiot hadn't bothered to use seizing wire on a nut and bolt that were designed to be secured with it. Not fun, considering how cheap and simple the wiring job is.
chef2sail likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2013

There are technical references but I don't have one at hand. The why you should do it has been addressed in responses to the post. The how you do it is best described using a picture:

Output Shaft Coupling-safety-wire.jpg

The wire is attached in the manner shown to draw both set screws in the direction to tighten them.

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"
post #7 of 7 Old 07-16-2013

Fryewe has the best answer. I used .032 stainless steel safety wire. I have used it several places on the boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.