Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

I've had my (1981) boat for about 6 months, and the engine (which was a concern of mine, due to uncertain history) has run flawlessly until last week.

I took some friends out for the afternoon, motoring out of the marina and for about 30 minutes to find some wind. Shut down the engine and sailed for about an hour. Kids started getting cranky, so I pulled down the sails and started up the motor.

After idling in neutral for about 1 minute, I get a high temperature alarm, so I shut the engine down. Guage reads about 160F (it's raw water cooled, so normal temp is about 120F). Waited about 10 minutes, but temp guage doesn't drop, so I tentatively restart to get some cooling flow. Although water appears to be coming out the exhaust, the temp stays high and alarm still sounding.

So I shut it down again and start checking stuff. Oil level is good, raw water strainer is clean (but we're drifting through a heavy moss/algea/seaweed current line). I can't find any obvious problems, so I start it one more time, and this time, the temperature rapidly drops, and everything returns to normal. Motored back home without incident.

I've had it out once since then, with no issues.

Any idea what might have happened? My guess is that a got a piece of debris on the hull strainer, which eventually dropped off on its own. Planning to change out the impeller soon, just in case that was somehow related.

(Incidentally, is there some law of nature that says stuff only goes wrong when you've got guests on board?)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

Could easily have been a plastic bag that got sucked over your raw water input and later it drifted away.
Stuff always goes wrong when you are trying to impress somebody.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post

(Incidentally, is there some law of nature that says stuff only goes wrong when you've got guests on board?)
Just wait till you have a date on board!

Congrats on the boat. Yanmar's are great motors.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-11-2013

marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

If you had good water flow when the temp was high, I would say you might have a sensor problem. I'd take a look a the thermostat connections, and maybe pull the thermostat and see if its all gunked up and not opening.
Old 07-11-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Yes, could be thermostat or problem with the alarm circuit. Hard to believe it would overheat in only 1 minute of idling.
Old 07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Yes, could be thermostat or problem with the alarm circuit. Hard to believe it would overheat in only 1 minute of idling.
I thought about that too. Difficult to tell for sure, so I'm going to take a wait and see approach.
Old 07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I thought about that too. Difficult to tell for sure, so I'm going to take a wait and see approach. When I do my annual engine maintenance this year, I'll probably change out the T-stat just in case.
Old 07-11-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem last fall with my 2QM20 last fall in Hobe sound Fl. I had water flow and a clean raw water strainer. After looking things over 3 times and pulling a few hands full of hair out I finally pulled the hose from the seacock to find some sea grass trapped. it wasn't enough to stop water flow but still made engine over-heat.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 07-11-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
I've had my (1981) boat for about 6 months, and the engine (which was a concern of mine, due to uncertain history) has run flawlessly until last week.

I took some friends out for the afternoon, motoring out of the marina and for about 30 minutes to find some wind. Shut down the engine and sailed for about an hour. Kids started getting cranky, so I pulled down the sails and started up the motor.

After idling in neutral for about 1 minute, I get a high temperature alarm, so I shut the engine down. Guage reads about 160F (it's raw water cooled, so normal temp is about 120F). Waited about 10 minutes, but temp guage doesn't drop, so I tentatively restart to get some cooling flow. Although water appears to be coming out the exhaust, the temp stays high and alarm still sounding.

So I shut it down again and start checking stuff. Oil level is good, raw water strainer is clean (but we're drifting through a heavy moss/algea/seaweed current line). I can't find any obvious problems, so I start it one more time, and this time, the temperature rapidly drops, and everything returns to normal. Motored back home without incident.

I've had it out once since then, with no issues.

Any idea what might have happened? My guess is that a got a piece of debris on the hull strainer, which eventually dropped off on its own. Planning to change out the impeller soon, just in case that was somehow related.

Have you ever checked or replaced the engine zincs? When they deteriorate they can send "chunks" into the raw water cooling system.
Old 07-13-2013

Went out today, ran the engine hard for about three hours. Temp was stable, but about 10F higher than normal. I'm suspicious of the thermostat.