Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a new forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.


Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-10-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 177
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2
Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

I've had my (1981) boat for about 6 months, and the engine (which was a concern of mine, due to uncertain history) has run flawlessly until last week.

I took some friends out for the afternoon, motoring out of the marina and for about 30 minutes to find some wind. Shut down the engine and sailed for about an hour. Kids started getting cranky, so I pulled down the sails and started up the motor.

After idling in neutral for about 1 minute, I get a high temperature alarm, so I shut the engine down. Guage reads about 160F (it's raw water cooled, so normal temp is about 120F). Waited about 10 minutes, but temp guage doesn't drop, so I tentatively restart to get some cooling flow. Although water appears to be coming out the exhaust, the temp stays high and alarm still sounding.

So I shut it down again and start checking stuff. Oil level is good, raw water strainer is clean (but we're drifting through a heavy moss/algea/seaweed current line). I can't find any obvious problems, so I start it one more time, and this time, the temperature rapidly drops, and everything returns to normal. Motored back home without incident.

I've had it out once since then, with no issues.

Any idea what might have happened? My guess is that a got a piece of debris on the hull strainer, which eventually dropped off on its own. Planning to change out the impeller soon, just in case that was somehow related.

(Incidentally, is there some law of nature that says stuff only goes wrong when you've got guests on board?)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 07-10-2013
CalebD's Avatar
Tartan 27' owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,434
Thanks: 4
Thanked 74 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 7
CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

Could easily have been a plastic bag that got sucked over your raw water input and later it drifted away.
Stuff always goes wrong when you are trying to impress somebody.
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 07-10-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 1,566
Thanks: 11
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 8
miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post

(Incidentally, is there some law of nature that says stuff only goes wrong when you've got guests on board?)
Just wait till you have a date on board!

Congrats on the boat. Yanmar's are great motors.


Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 07-11-2013
marcusc130's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jamestown, RI
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 3
marcusc130 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

If you had good water flow when the temp was high, I would say you might have a sensor problem. I'd take a look a the thermostat connections, and maybe pull the thermostat and see if its all gunked up and not opening.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 07-11-2013
JimsCAL's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 2,160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 7
JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

Yes, could be thermostat or problem with the alarm circuit. Hard to believe it would overheat in only 1 minute of idling.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 07-11-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 177
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2
Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Yes, could be thermostat or problem with the alarm circuit. Hard to believe it would overheat in only 1 minute of idling.
I thought about that too. Difficult to tell for sure, so I'm going to take a wait and see approach.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 07-11-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 177
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2
Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Yes, could be thermostat or problem with the alarm circuit. Hard to believe it would overheat in only 1 minute of idling.
I thought about that too. Difficult to tell for sure, so I'm going to take a wait and see approach. When I do my annual engine maintenance this year, I'll probably change out the T-stat just in case.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 07-11-2013
MarioG's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 389
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MarioG is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

I had the same problem last fall with my 2QM20 last fall in Hobe sound Fl. I had water flow and a clean raw water strainer. After looking things over 3 times and pulling a few hands full of hair out I finally pulled the hose from the seacock to find some sea grass trapped. it wasn't enough to stop water flow but still made engine over-heat.
__________________
Endeavour E-32 "Samara"

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 07-11-2013
FarCry's Avatar
Freedom 39
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: St Thomas USVI
Posts: 816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 7
FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
I've had my (1981) boat for about 6 months, and the engine (which was a concern of mine, due to uncertain history) has run flawlessly until last week.

I took some friends out for the afternoon, motoring out of the marina and for about 30 minutes to find some wind. Shut down the engine and sailed for about an hour. Kids started getting cranky, so I pulled down the sails and started up the motor.

After idling in neutral for about 1 minute, I get a high temperature alarm, so I shut the engine down. Guage reads about 160F (it's raw water cooled, so normal temp is about 120F). Waited about 10 minutes, but temp guage doesn't drop, so I tentatively restart to get some cooling flow. Although water appears to be coming out the exhaust, the temp stays high and alarm still sounding.

So I shut it down again and start checking stuff. Oil level is good, raw water strainer is clean (but we're drifting through a heavy moss/algea/seaweed current line). I can't find any obvious problems, so I start it one more time, and this time, the temperature rapidly drops, and everything returns to normal. Motored back home without incident.

I've had it out once since then, with no issues.

Any idea what might have happened? My guess is that a got a piece of debris on the hull strainer, which eventually dropped off on its own. Planning to change out the impeller soon, just in case that was somehow related.

(Incidentally, is there some law of nature that says stuff only goes wrong when you've got guests on board?)
Have you ever checked or replaced the engine zincs? When they deteriorate they can send "chunks" into the raw water cooling system.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 07-13-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 177
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 2
Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: strange overheating incident

Went out today, ran the engine hard for about three hours. Temp was stable, but about 10F higher than normal. I'm suspicious of the thermostat.
__________________
1981 Spirit 28 "Bonnie Lass"
Bremerton, Washington
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yanmar 2QM15 Overheating Problem Summer Magic Diesel 18 06-18-2013 10:40 AM
2QM15 Yanmar weephee Gear & Maintenance 5 04-06-2013 08:15 PM
Yanmar 2QM15 Overheating at Idle... backcreeksailor Gear & Maintenance 35 08-16-2012 10:58 AM
Yanmar 2GM or 2QM15...? marinesniper Gear & Maintenance 20 03-10-2012 12:47 AM
Yanmar 2QM15 repairtime Gear & Maintenance 7 12-09-2011 04:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012