Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Engine swap will it work?

O.K I know, I know.
I was so proud to get the East Coast Lady for a song... Now It looks like she needs a new power plant. If the compression test today shows her to have low compression I will swap the engine out my self.
I have one question?
can I swap the 2GM-13 3400 rpm engine "RAW water cooled"
With a 2GM20F 16HP fresh water cooled engine?
Is it the same size? Are the engine mounts the same? Does it still draw raw water thru and out the back to cool the exchanger?
Its a running take out with the transmission.
Oh one other question, any way to find out the age on the engine I will buy? SN# is in the 12,000s
Thanks for your help.

Even with a repower I will still be below 7,000 on the boat. She's a great little boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Engine swap will it work?

Low compression?

The change out sounds doable if you have clearance in the engine compartment. Raw to fresh water cooling is not difficult to do with any engine imho. it's just a pump and heat exchanger.
Both engines look about the same.

Age of the engine not as important as how much it was used. there an hour meter from the boat is was in?

PDF files are listed here with lots of photos

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-16-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Why not ask Yanmar? Or better still a big Yanmar dealer that actually fits engines and is not just a box shifter.
Old 07-16-2013
First String

I say out with the old and in with the new...
I have struggled on this decision way too long. Given, the age on this boat. Given the fact the PO left sea water in the block with no anodes for at least 4 years while is sat on the hook unattended, Given the fact, I can find no record of maintenance on the boat, I will assume that the boats engine is in the throws of giving up the ghost because of lack of care and maintenance.
I will record the whole process, from start to finish. Cost in time, parts and money. I will show the process and I will complete this DYI project with ingenuity. I will ask and beg as needed for help as needed; it is my goal to complete this project under $5,000 dollars.
Below is the old engine, a 1979 built Yanmar 2GM-13 3400 RPM engine with no telling how many hours as there is no hour meter. I have installed one now.
I have purchased a mid to late 1980’s 2gm20F 16 Hp at 3400 RPMs.
Step one will be to check the new “to me” engine from e-Bay over real good to fix or repair anything it may need to be useable, mounts, hoses, harness, senders stuff like this.
Then I will pull the wiring harness and old Yanmar gauge / start panel. Next the water lines and thru-hulls taken off and blocked off. I will then begin the process of pulling the engine. I have the idea that I can use the main halyard to pull it out. I will temporality mount a sheave on the boom to help hold the halyard in place. I disconnect the shaft coupling and the motor mounts wha-la. Ease it out and swing the boom over to the dock and lower it on a cart. Then I will do as Mark suggested and clean the whole compartment and install all new thru hoses all new water lines. I will then install LED’s and clean and paint with new white paint.
I will keep you posted on the progress. I should have the engine by the weekend.
If there is any advice you think I could use please feel free. I have never done this and could use all the help I can get.
Here is the old eng “ Notice the pitting in the block and head” and the new…
Thanks again
Thread: Engine swap will it work? Reply to Thread

The NEWER

deniseO30 likes this.
Old 07-17-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

It shouldbe a pretty straightforward bolt in.
My yanmar manual shows the specs for size are pretty much spot on. width of engine, outside of mount to outside of mount is just shy of 17" which [I]should[I] be the same footprint as the engine it is replacing.

The fact that you got more than a season from the old salt-pickled, neglected yanmar is a testament to the quality of these engines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2013
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
It shouldbe a pretty straightforward bolt in.
My yanmar manual shows the specs for size are pretty much spot on. width of engine, outside of mount to outside of mount is just shy of 17" which [I]should[I] be the same footprint as the engine it is replacing.

The fact that you got more than a season from the old salt-pickled, neglected yanmar is a testament to the quality of these engines.
Thanks Brian, My biggest thought was that It will take a good bit of money to troubleshoot and repair the engine that is in the boat now, and by the time I spend that time and money I could do a swap with a 10 or 15 year newer engine that is freshwater cooled and come way out ahead.
Before this problem accrued, if you will look back on some of my post around this time last year I was complaining and asking for help with my RPM problem. That problem has never been resolved. My max rpm under a load was around 2500 and my 2gm 13 has a 3400 cruise and a 3600 max rating. That may be due to the prop? that were I was guided to look, but later linked it to a low idle problem. That,s when I changed the Fuel filter and cleaned the fuel bowl out. Then black smoke. Wont stay running. The mechanic said injectors need to be replace, maybe the fuel pump needs rebuilt and the high pressure lines need to be replaced. he said the PO over tightened them and they were a bit restrictive to the fuel system. He also said it looked to him that there was some corrosion on the head and block area that looked bad. He hates saltwater cooled engines. I think they are o.k on a lake environment but not so much in the ocean.
So with all that looming. I happened to see the 2gm20F on craig,s list and said "I wonder if it's time" After a little nudge from my wife I have the 2GM20F on the way. Ti comes with the Transmission, engine mounts, wiring harness and control panel. $3,000. The swap out I think I can do as a DYI project. All the fuel stuff is out of my league and would have costed me mechanic time plus parts. So there is were I stand this morning.
Wish me luck. I will need it. Thank for your support as well. I will record the process and post it to my blog as I move along. Starting tonight with removing the fluids and capping off lines.
thanks again.
Old 07-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
Thanks Brian, My biggest thought was that It will take a good bit of money to troubleshoot and repair the engine that is in the boat now, and by the time I spend that time and money I could do a swap with a 10 or 15 year newer engine that is freshwater cooled and come way out ahead.
Before this problem accrued, if you will look back on some of my post around this time last year I was complaining and asking for help with my RPM problem. That problem has never been resolved. My max rpm under a load was around 2500 and my 2gm 13 has a 3400 cruise and a 3600 max rating. That may be due to the prop? that were I was guided to look, but later linked it to a low idle problem. That,s when I changed the Fuel filter and cleaned the fuel bowl out. Then black smoke. Wont stay running. The mechanic said injectors need to be replace, maybe the fuel pump needs rebuilt and the high pressure lines need to be replaced. he said the PO over tightened them and they were a bit restrictive to the fuel system. He also said it looked to him that there was some corrosion on the head and block area that looked bad. He hates saltwater cooled engines. I think they are o.k on a lake environment but not so much in the ocean.
So with all that looming. I happened to see the 2gm20F on craig,s list and said "I wonder if it's time" After a little nudge from my wife I have the 2GM20F on the way. Ti comes with the Transmission, engine mounts, wiring harness and control panel. $3,000. The swap out I think I can do as a DYI project. All the fuel stuff is out of my league and would have costed me mechanic time plus parts. So there is were I stand this morning.
Wish me luck. I will need it. Thank for your support as well. I will record the process and post it to my blog as I move along. Starting tonight with removing the fluids and capping off lines.
thanks again.
I would also soundproof the engine compartment after painting with the engine out. How does the shaft and coupler look? You may consider replacing at least the coupler.

BTW T37chef just replaced his engine...most of the prep work he did himself and helped the mechanic install the engine. He may be able to give you some guidance.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

LT where's that shop? I would love to rummage through that place! woo hoo!

My boat is for sale.
Old 07-17-2013
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I would also soundproof the engine compartment after painting with the engine out.

I have this on the list for sound proofing in fact i have looked at a product at Lowes for this. Just not sure how to attach it to the FG glue, hangers, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
How does the shaft and coupler look? You may consider replacing at least the coupler.

Here is a copy of the coupler and the engine compartment. there is quit a bit of pitting and rust on the coupler. Not sure where to find the coupler new? Yanmar?
Oh!! one other thing there is some kind of coupler still on the new engine that is on the way. See the photo below this photo.

Old 07-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Buck Algonquin, Transmission Couplers, Coupling, Solid
Drivetrain Parts
Walter* Clamp-Fit Propeller Shaft Couplings

My boat is for sale.