Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013

rejjr7 is on a distinguished road
Universal M25 hard starting and smoking

Hi all!

So I've recently installed a used M25 in my Catalina 27 and it really runs very well. Nice and smooth, plenty of power, and I'm just ecstatic to have a reliable backup for when the elements aren't cooperating.

This is my first experience with a Universal diesel however and I have two questions/concerns...

1st.) When I come to the boat, its a little hard to start. Batteries have plenty of juice and it turns over nicely but it obviously doesn't have any fuel. I have to open the bleeder bolt and have someone crank for about 2 seconds until fuel comes out and then close it again. When I do this, the engine starts immediately and will restart on the very first turn every time thereafter. When I leave the boat and return a few days later, its the same problem... What could be causing this??

2nd.) How much smoke should I see when running around 2200? None at all? What I see currently is none during the day, but if I'm motoring at night my stern light shows up some smoke coming from the exhaust, and there is a slight diesel smell. Its a light colored smoke, and all but invisible during the day. Should I be concerned about this? Just a note, the prop I am using was the prop from the previous engine and I have no idea what that engine was. Don't know if maybe the engine is working too hard at 2200 bc of a wrong sized prop maybe??

Thanks so much for your help!!

Here are some pics of us cruising with our dog Mollie and our redneck "bedsheet bimini" until we can afford a bimini.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013

Re: Universal M25 hard starting and smoking

My pictures aren't showing up for me... just in case they aren't working, here are the links.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByQk...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByQk...it?usp=sharing
Old 07-19-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

First off;
I love the Bedsheet Bimini!

Second;
You should not have to crank / bleed the engine every time.
  • Are you preheating the glow plugs before you hit the start button? I believe that the manual says 20 seconds preheat is normal.
  • Are the glow plugs working properly?
  • A common improvement to the engine is to have the preheat button connected to a solenoid, which in turn provides higher amperage and voltageto the glow plugs. You may want to install this, if it has not already been done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-19-2013

Thanks for the reply eherlihy.

I believe the glow plugs are working well. I say this because all the wiring on the engine is new from a diesel re-seller in Virginia called Trans-Atlantic diesels.

Also, I can see the voltmeter dip when I hit the glowplug although I imagine thats not conclusive proof.

I also did a test. I bled the line and started the engine without using any glowplug at all and it started immediately. No cranking at all. I believe this is a fuel line problem of some sort. (Nevertheless, even though the compression seems good I still always preheat before starting.)

Is there something that should stop the fuel from draining out of the line into the tank? It seems to be like there might be a leak somewhere that is allowing air into the fuel lines... I'm not sure.
Old 07-19-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

The M25 has (or should have), an electric lift pump (with a built-in filter) which forces fuel to the mechanical pump (on the side of the engine) which feeds the fuel injector pump.

Verify that each is working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-19-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

eh is right.

These items may also be of interest to you, we have a ton of M235 stuff on our C34 website

CRITICAL UPGRADES - DO THESE OR ELSE!!!

Catalina 34 - C34

Scroll down to engine, but there are other issues, like fuel that will be of interest to you.

Make sure you have the updated alternator bracket.