Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MedSailor
  • 1 Post By svHyLyte

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Perkins 4.108 flame starter questions...

My perkins 4.108 has been getting more and more warm blooded. Last week I installed an oil pan heater, and we'll see if that works.

I was also thinking of wiring up the "Flame thrower" that is in my air intake. Problem is, I would also like to install a poor man's Airsep by installing a "puke bottle" (as described at boatdeisel.com) and a K&N air filter.

My question is, will my flame thrower, plus the K&N filter (instead of the metal one) cause my boat be immolated?

MedSailor
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108 flame starter questions...

Probably, but no worries, we can all come over for a wienie roast. Maybe you can supply the marshmellows?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-27-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
My perkins 4.108 has been getting more and more warm blooded. Last week I installed an oil pan heater, and we'll see if that works.

I was also thinking of wiring up the "Flame thrower" that is in my air intake. Problem is, I would also like to install a poor man's Airsep by installing a "puke bottle" (as described at boatdeisel.com) and a K&N air filter.

My question is, will my flame thrower, plus the K&N filter (instead of the metal one) cause my boat be immolated?

MedSailor
The Perkins pre-heater, i.e. flame start, really isn't necessary or particularly useful unless you are operating the yacht in extremely cold weather, i.e. at temps well below freezing. Even then, it only generates a flame for a few seconds, that pre-heats the induction air, but is very rapidly sucked into the combustion chambers as the engine starts and runs. The KN Air filter material is rated for 500ļ exposure, although it would/could only be exposed to that for a very few seconds but, again, do you really plan on sailing/using your engine in sub-freezing temperatures?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-27-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

looks as if that pre flame thrower warming thingie is excellent for tropical insect infestations and bandidos....

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 07-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The Perkins pre-heater, i.e. flame start, really isn't necessary or particularly useful unless you are operating the yacht in extremely cold weather, i.e. at temps well below freezing. ... again, do you really plan on sailing/using your engine in sub-freezing temperatures?
Actually, my engine requires 20 seconds of cranking to start at 55F and it takes more like 60 seconds of cranking (crank, rest, crank, rest, repeat) if the temp is 40F or below.

I was thinking of using the pre-heater thingy quite often actually. I know this means I've got another issue, but when I asked the local diesel mech about it, he told me just to use a pre-heater...

MedSailor

Old 07-27-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the compression is getting low....I wintered over in Alaska and then down on the South Island in New Zealand, only had the glow plugs. What weight engine oil are you using? Full charge on the batteries? Has the pre heater/block heater helped at all?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-28-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Sounds like the compression is getting low....I wintered over in Alaska and then down on the South Island in New Zealand, only had the glow plugs. What weight engine oil are you using? Full charge on the batteries? Has the pre heater/block heater helped at all?
I'm thinking injectors myself. If the compression was low, due to ring wear, wouldn't I be getting some blue smoke? Currently the exhaust is clear.

Battery is at a full charge, and as part of troubleshooting I made some new 2/0 battery cables and replaced them. I haven't pulled the starter itself, but I don't think that's the problem.

Oil is the same as I've always used. Chevron Delo 400 SAE 30.

I'll let you know about the block heater. I've only tried it once, and it was a hot day. It's pretty neat though, it gets REALLY hot. I used the 250W 12V version.

MedSailor

Old 07-28-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Actually, my engine requires 20 seconds of cranking to start at 55F and it takes more like 60 seconds of cranking (crank, rest, crank, rest, repeat) if the temp is 40F or below.

I was thinking of using the pre-heater thingy quite often actually. I know this means I've got another issue, but when I asked the local diesel mech about it, he told me just to use a pre-heater...

MedSailor
As I assume you know, the flame start system works by one activating a glow-plug in the throat of the air intake assembly that heats a tiny dribble of fuel to the point at which it ignites. If one listens closely, one can actually hear the sound of the fuel igniting at which point one turns the key all the way to the start position and, presumably, starts the engine within a few revs. In the second or so before hitting the start position, I have learned there really is a pretty good/impressive flame. While Perkin's original air intake cover assembly (mushroom) can handle that easily, and KN's filter can supposedly handle very short exposures, I, personally, would not switch to the KN filter considering the possibility of difficulty and the prospective consequences. Frankly, it might be wise to have your injectors tested and, if needed, repaired which, in the grand scheme isn't all that costly. Note that either a tractor repair shop or a good truck repair shop will likely cost a good deal less for the work than a "marine diesel repair" shop, or at least that is what we have found. In any case, good luck with your efforts.

FWIW...
TQA likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following User Says Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
MedSailor (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
As I assume you know, the flame start system works by one activating a glow-plug in the throat of the air intake assembly that heats a tiny dribble of fuel to the point at which it ignites. If one listens closely, one can actually hear the sound of the fuel igniting at which point one turns the key all the way to the start position and, presumably, starts the engine within a few revs. In the second or so before hitting the start position, I have learned there really is a pretty good/impressive flame. While Perkin's original air intake cover assembly (mushroom) can handle that easily, and KN's filter can supposedly handle very short exposures, I, personally, would not switch to the KN filter considering the possibility of difficulty and the prospective consequences. Frankly, it might be wise to have your injectors tested and, if needed, repaired which, in the grand scheme isn't all that costly. Note that either a tractor repair shop or a good truck repair shop will likely cost a good deal less for the work than a "marine diesel repair" shop, or at least that is what we have found. In any case, good luck with your efforts.

FWIW...
On the first part, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Not even sure why I'm considering it really. Paper + Fire + Fuel + Engine room..... probably not a great idea.

Thanks for the second tip! That's actually a great idea that I hadn't thought of! I live in a farming area and there are lots of tractors around, so it shouldn't be a problem to find a repair shop.

BTW, one thing I never could figure out about the Perkins 4.108. They recommend reconditioning the injectors every 400hours. That seems like a REALLY short interval for a supposedly bulletproof/reliable engine!

MedSailor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.