Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Engines > Diesel
 Not a Member? 

Diesel This is a forum dedicated to diesel engines and their applicable accessories.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013

piclarke is on a distinguished road
Deisel Engine Day Tank.

Considering a day tank on advice received.

What are the advantages of having a day tank and what are the disadvantages of having a day tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Deisel Engine Day Tank.

I found out my main tank has a leak after the boat got into the water. So that I could still use the boat, I ordered a 3 gal tank to put in line with my engine until I haul out the next time. I am still able to use the boat and the engine seems to like the cleaner fuel. The only thing I had to do was add a fuel return line to the tank.

You can see what I did at my blog. Link in my signature below.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhapsody-NS27 For This Useful Post:
piclarke (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Advantages:

Two sources of fuel
If installed higher than the engine, the day tank could provide fuel to the engine without a separate electric lift pump or if the lift pump failed

Disadvantages

Requires more fittings/couplings all prone to failure
Needs fuel MANAGEMENT to assure that return line goes to the right place and doesn't overfill an unused tank
Could require more valving for proper management purposes
Very small day tanks have the possibility of heated return fuel increasing the temperature of stored fuel - hot fuel is not good
Old 08-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Advantages:

Two sources of fuel
If installed higher than the engine, the day tank could provide fuel to the engine without a separate electric lift pump or if the lift pump failed

Disadvantages

Requires more fittings/couplings all prone to failure
Needs fuel MANAGEMENT to assure that return line goes to the right place and doesn't overfill an unused tank
Could require more valving for proper management purposes
Very small day tanks have the possibility of heated return fuel increasing the temperature of stored fuel - hot fuel is not good
Thanks.

The vessel I was on, the day tank was installed above with a eye filling tube
so as over filling avoided. Had a powerful lifting pump to fill the tank with a non return valve and gravity feed to the engine. The day tank was refuelled each time it got low which was every morning approx. Engine room was monitored every hour during running included using heat sensor hand gun for temperature readings any where on the engine fuel lines, gear box, and any where else plus fuel tank.

Commercial fisherman I have spoken to, say they are a must in the tropics, did not think to ask why. So I guess the answer is the engine is not reliant on a fuel pump feeding the engine during running.

Marine engineer stated on non day tank above installation the standard engine lift pump is sucking the fuel from the ships fuel tank which can cause or will cause problems over time. With a day tank the pump is installed so that it is pushing the fuel to the day tank avoiding problems according to him. A pump pushing is 3 times more powerful pushing than sucking, I was told.

Old 08-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I found out my main tank has a leak after the boat got into the water. So that I could still use the boat, I ordered a 3 gal tank to put in line with my engine until I haul out the next time. I am still able to use the boat and the engine seems to like the cleaner fuel. The only thing I had to do was add a fuel return line to the tank.

You can see what I did at my blog. Link in my signature below.
Thanks

Old 08-11-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piclarke View Post
...according to him. A pump pushing is 3 times more powerful pushing than sucking, I was told.
Utter nonsense.
Old 08-14-2013

NCboatrx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Utter nonsense.
Actually this is quite correct and most definately not nonsense. Pumps have a problem sucking up and if you take the time to check manufacturers specifications on almost all types of pumps, the greater the head on the suction side, the lower the output of the pump. This includes bilge pumps.

As far as pumps used to get diesel from the fuel tank to the engine, they all push fuel out better than they suck. This is why an electric pump is always fitted as close to the fuel tank as possible when there is a long run between the tank and the engine. This will get the engine the fuel it needs to run properly.
Old 08-14-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Commercial fisherman I have spoken to, say they are a must in the tropics, did not think to ask why. So I guess the answer is the engine is not reliant on a fuel pump feeding the engine during running.

I have been operating in the tropics for 10+ years, with a Perkins 4108. No problems with my system. Gravity feed will not work here.
Fuel pump is engine mounted and driven so it is going to suck.
I had a fuel tank in the bow and the engine fuel pumped sucked it back(20') just fine.
As my diesel mechanic told me "that pump will suck the chrome off a bumper hitch"
Don't over think and over engineer your fuel system. Out here we call it another "stupid cruiser trick". KISS
christian.hess likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 01-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post

I have been operating in the tropics for 10+ years, with a Perkins 4108. No problems with my system. Gravity feed will not work here.
Fuel pump is engine mounted and driven so it is going to suck.
I had a fuel tank in the bow and the engine fuel pumped sucked it back(20') just fine.
As my diesel mechanic told me "that pump will suck the chrome off a bumper hitch"
Don't over think and over engineer your fuel system. Out here we call it another "stupid cruiser trick". KISS
Can't understand that because the vessel I sailed on we where sailing in the Tropics and the COMMERCIAL FISHING PERSON WAS OPERATING in PNG WATERS and thats Tropical.

Old 01-16-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Gravity feed will not work here.
Some explanation as to why would be nice. Sure, at the equator the force of gravity is about 0.3% less than it is at the poles, but somehow I don't think that's enough difference to make a gravity feed system unworkable.